SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Your Favorite Joker? (DC Related)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Favorite Joker? (DC Related) Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
Suicide Squad has been playing on HBO a lot here lately. I'm not keen on the gangsta style that Jared Leto has brought to the Joker.

Who do you think did the best job in the DC Universe playing the Joker? Why?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm inclined to go with Heath Ledger's portrayal. His Joker, to me, seemed to have the best combination of a madman who embraced chaos and a strategic, methodical planner.

FWIW, I didn't care for Leto's version from Suicide Squad.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I also think Ledger was the best Joker,

with a nod to Caesar Romero as well,

I thought Leto's Joker was a different an interesting version,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Ledger's portrayal was the definitive one, IMO.
To me, the Joker was defined by Frank Miller's take on the character in The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel and Ledger's was along the same lines. Crazed, propensity for extreme violence and death at the drop of a hat. Jack Nicholson's portrayal did not really exhibit those traits, his was a bit too cartoonish.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I didn't hate Leto's version, but Ledger was definitely the best.

Mark Hamil probably 2nd up between the animated series and the Batman games.

quote:
To me, the Joker was defined by Frank Miller's take on the character in The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel and Ledger's was along the same lines. Crazed, propensity for extreme violence and death at the drop of a hat.

Yep. And that's why I love Afflek's Batman so much, because it's "old man I don't give a fuck anymore" batman from Dark Knight Returns.

I think that a lot of people that hated BvS hadn't read TDKR or they probably would have liked it a lot more.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jack Nicholson.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of Heath Ledger's.

1. He put a pencil through a guy's eye in a PG-13 superhero flick, which is a-ok in my book!

2. I hate wussy villains in movies and on TV. I like ones that are defiant and relentless to the very end (like John Doe in Seven or the Hitcher). You know how on TV the cops can usually intimidate a suspect into confessing? I love the scene in Dark Knight with Batman slamming the Joker all around the interrogation room and he refuses to be meek and groveling - "YOU HAVE NOTHING! NOTHING TO THREATEN ME WITH!!!" That's MY kind of stubbornness!

That said, I liked Jared Leto's version. I thought he played a good "regular" version of the Joker.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I give a slight edge to Mark Hamill. Especially in the Arkham video games, where they could go darker than most of the animated stuff.

But if we're just sticking with live action portrayals, then Heath Ledger gets my vote by a mile, compared to the others.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Ledger most certainly.

The Dark Knight was probably the best superhero movie made

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ledger. And then Nicholson.
"This town needs an enema"!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I thought Leto was great. He is on a role right now. The way he played the Joker was new and inventive. But they cut scenes out and he wasn’t in enough of the film.

Ledger was the best. Nolan and Bale the best as well.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12631 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Ledger and Hamill are both the epitome of the joker in their respective formats. Nobody will ever come close to how Ledger portrayed the Joker and his image is what comes to mind when I picture the Joker while Hamill's voice and more specifically his laugh is what I think of when I imagine what he sounds like.

I also prefer Affleck over others as he seems to nail both Bruce Wayne & Batman. Would love to see his take on Matches Malone too in a future movie. But when I think of Batman's voice, Kevin Conroy comes to mind, that and the gravelly, "WHERE IS SHE?"

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
I didn't hate Leto's version, but Ledger was definitely the best.

Mark Hamil probably 2nd up between the animated series and the Batman games.

quote:
To me, the Joker was defined by Frank Miller's take on the character in The Dark Knight Returns graphic novel and Ledger's was along the same lines. Crazed, propensity for extreme violence and death at the drop of a hat.

Yep. And that's why I love Afflek's Batman so much, because it's "old man I don't give a fuck anymore" batman from Dark Knight Returns.

I think that a lot of people that hated BvS hadn't read TDKR or they probably would have liked it a lot more.

very good point on Miller's work,
and Affleck,
and if anyone has not read it, they should,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Ledger by a mile. Hamill's voice work is incredible though. Watch the animated movie Mask of the Phantasm if you want to see the Joker at his best in cartoon form.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's hard not to straight up laugh at the Nicholson version after Ledger did his thing, and I though Jack did a great job for years, but really, it's ridiculously non convincing, comparatively.

Leto was ok, I think, and that movie has grown on me.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Watching suicide squad now and man is this bad.

This is so bad. "And if my daughter's grades start slippin' I need you to white people that shit. You know what I'm talking about." and the military guy nods like, "Yeah I know what you're talking about."

Wow.

I mean... wow this is bad.

EDIT - This is an actual line from the movie, by a 6000 year old demon-witch, with an upper-class English accent: "With my heart returned, I can finally finish my weapon. Now tell me how to destroy your armies."

Holy shit dudes. This is something else.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Veeper,

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9156 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
SS is awful.

Ledger was the best. The scene with the crime bosses is great. the following as well. notably quotes, "I know what a squealer looks like when I see one"

And also

"were going through agressive expansion, time for tryouts"

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
If Margot Robbie wasn't in SS, nobody would ever watch it. It was awful

I haven't liked any of the DC movies so far after Nolan's DK trilogy, I think Ill skip Justice League.

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Wanna know how I got these scars?

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Heath Ledger, voice and acting was spot on. Mark Hamill is a close second just using his voice:

Batman: The Killing Joke

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post