Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Borderlands 3 Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
Anyone playing this yet? I’ve seen generally positive reviews but they burned me so badly with the pre sequel that there’s a deep mistrust of the franchise going forward.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Been playing for several hours over the last 3 days. I like it enough to keep going so far, but I don't much care for how the aiming/shooting seems to have changed. Also, many are complaining about how small the font is on the menu screen etc. (I'm one of them).

Pretty sure I'm in the minority because I started with the gunner character. But I wanted to relive some of the old Mechwarrior days, and that is essentially her action skill.

I've seen chatter about it being glitchy and having lag issues. I have experienced some of that, but it is still quite playable on my Xbox One S.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Reports are that the PC version has stutter/freeze frame rate issues. Console I saw it recommended to run in resolution mode. Other than that I haven’t seen any glaring negative reviews but, as I said, that pre sequel burned me something fierce.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Not to salt your wounds, but what didn't you like about the prequel?

The answer(s) might help me tell you what is different or the same in BL3. I got to where I enjoyed the prequel quite a bit though, so maybe I'm just weird.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I plan on picking it up eventually, once the price drops a few times and the initial several rounds of bugs are patched out.

(I rarely pick up new games at release, since I hate paying $60 just to be a beta tester. I usually wait 6-12 months before buying newer games.)

quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
but they burned me so badly with the pre sequel that there’s a deep mistrust of the franchise going forward.

How so? I haven't played the pre-sequel, but I enjoyed the first two.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:

The answer(s) might help me tell you what is different or the same in BL3. I got to where I enjoyed the prequel quite a bit though, so maybe I'm just weird.

The story was pathetic and the gameplay was horrible. They had too much platforming and I couldn’t find a damn thing.

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The story was pathetic and the gameplay was horrible. They had too much platforming and I couldn’t find a damn thing.

I've been to three of the game's planets, and so far there aren't any low-G environments if that is what you meant by the presequel's gameplay.

However, there are jumping puzzles (ugh, not a fan) but there are clues given as to where to make certain attempts. There is also a "death from above" type of move where you crouch while falling from height, but it isn't a like the presequel's buttslam from low-G.

Can't help much with the story as I'm still pretty new to the game. I'm taking my time exploring and not charging ahead to finish.

I will say that the Killavolt boss fight is too tough for me right now and is much easier as a co-op I'm sure, but I don't play co-op.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I've been playing some over the weekend. The humor is very much still there. Feels more like Borderlands 2 than the prequel. I've heard some complaints of performance issues, but my experience on XBox One has been pretty smooth. A couple of minor glitches that cleared up by exiting to the menu and reentering the game.

I've not made it there yet, but A LOT of people are complaining about Killavolt being completely unbalanced for a single player experience.

I'm not enjoying FL4K as much as Zero, but he's starting to grow on me. And who doesn't want a giant man eating mutant dog thing that farts radiation as a pet?

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
My son pre-purchased the game and now can't get it to down load. I'm glad it was bought on a credit card so we can hopefully stop the payment?

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I tend to agree. It didn't blow, but it wasn't nearly as good as the other Borderlands.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son likes it and beat it already. Of course he didn't complete all the tasks but he likes it. I played the first one years ago and liked it. I played so long when I finally closed my eyes, it was like my eye lids felt like sandpaper against my eyes.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
If you were a Tediore fan before, I think you will really get a kick out of some of the new weapons.

It's been a hoot watching the gun I just threw run after the bad guys, insulting them while shooting, then blowing up on them when out of ammo.

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Ok, I bought it and it’s definitely a return to the feel of Borderlands 2. Claptrap is just as goofy as ever, graphics upgraded and a few things changed for the better. I started a gunner and it’s been fun playing so far.

Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pretty sure I'm in the minority because I started with the gunner character. But I wanted to relive some of the old Mechwarrior days, and that is essentially her action skill.

You may be happy to know that Mechwarrior 5 is scheduled for a December release this year...also on the Epic game store.

As for BL3, I’ve seen a suggestion to turn down one specific graphics setting for potentially big performance gains. If you turn Volumetric Fog down to medium, it apparently can increase performance by almost 30% compared to the Ultra setting, and 20%-25% compared to high. It also makes hardly any difference to how the fog effects look, so I’d say crank that setting down if you are having performance problems.

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
People complaining about Killavolt clearly haven’t fought Katagawa Ball yet. The boss fights are clearly not balanced for solo players.

It’s a fun game, but not in my top 10.

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
People complaining about Killavolt clearly haven’t fought Katagawa Ball yet. The boss fights are clearly not balanced for solo players.

It’s a fun game, but not in my top 10.

Concur about Katagawa Ball, but I did manage to beat that boss without a lot of leveling up. There is a spot just to the left of where you drop into the arena you can use for cover while you whittle him down. It does take a while, but just bring plenty of ammo and jump/move once in a while.

However, Killavolt still took a minute or so even when I was twice his level. I'm so glad he was an optional mission because it would have been seriously frustrating otherwise.

I'm at the Carnivora mission, which is looking like I need to go out and level up some more again before taking it on. We'll see.

Sadlerbw, thanks for the heads up on Mechwarrior 5. Seems like we've been hearing that for a loooonnng time now though.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I just bunnyhopped in circles around killavolt. Took forever, but I managed to kill him without having to respawn. Pack a lunch for the first Vault Guardian fight...

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
One thing I have found very helpful is the money earning grenades.
Find or buy and epic level version, use it in crowds or when farming bosses etc.

Makes buying SDUs from Marcus way easier.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Got it yesterday for PC. I don't see a way to compare weapons/equipment. Was that omitted?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Got it yesterday for PC. I don't see a way to compare weapons/equipment. Was that omitted?

If you click on one item and hover over another, it will compare them.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post