Find
Notify
Tools

Cars 3 Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
Escaped the house to get out of the heat and decided the only good thing showing was Cars 3. 'Twas pretty good.

Lightning McQueen has to come to terms with the fact that he's old and outmatched by the newer racers coming onto the scene. In an effort to hold onto his glory years, he seeks advanced training from a personal trainer, as well as from those old timers who taught his mentor how to race. Only nothing he does is capable of allowing him to reach the speeds of the newer cars.

I'll admit I never saw the second Cars. It just looked too dumb. But this one definitely has a more serious tone to it, which is good. We get to see an arc from the first movie to this one. There's still plenty of well-timed humor, but a lot less of the annoying Mater. As usual, the Pixar animation and sound design is top notch.

There were a few kids in my theater but not much of a reaction save for two or three truly hilarious parts. But it will still attract a really young audience, so be prepared for the bawling and constant chatter that comes from young children.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the mini-review, I will take my 14 year's to see it this week.

I hated HATED Cars2. Hated it, there were literal torture scenes of the cars, not sure what was happening in my life at that particular time, but it really affected me for some reason.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The second one was shit, torture, guns, killing.

This is a fucking Cars movies people... Mater with rockets, spys, just stupid.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I'll admit I never saw the second Cars. It just looked too dumb. There's still plenty of well-timed humor, but a lot less of the annoying Mater.

That's all I needed to hear. I also really disliked Cars 2 because I HATE MATER! Mater is a supporting player in the first film, but he takes center stage for the sequel, and that was too much to bear. I wasn't even bothered that much by Jar Jar Binks, but Mater is intolerable to me!

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My 5 year old loved it. About 2/3 through she said "I'm buying this when it comes to the store".

I enjoyed it, agreed it was much better than 2.
Our 2 year old got restless near the end, but she went with no nap yesterday & the 20 minutes of previews didn't help.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Thanks for the mini-review, I will take my 14 year's to see it this week.

I hated HATED Cars2. Hated it, there were literal torture scenes of the cars, not sure what was happening in my life at that particular time, but it really affected me for some reason.

Cars 2 was garbage.

Don't waste any time on it.

Glad to see they gave up on that BS story line and got 'serious' about the story again.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw this yesterday with our 9 year old twins and we all enjoyed it. Remember seeing Cars 2 and thinking this was way out of line for a kid's movie.

Really liked how they tied so much of the oringial movie into this one.

Posts: 714 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post