SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    McIntosh 1900 old school question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

McIntosh 1900 old school question Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
I just had my 1900 and MQ101 serviced and cleaned. Got them back and hooked up the 1900 without the MQ101 equalizer. Forgot that the preamp and amp had to be relinked in back of the 1900. Then I could not find the links for a long time. Looked high and low. Meanwhile I linked the preamp and amp with a hi-tech patch cord set RCA plug to RCA plug.

Question - which is better, link with patch cord or the exposed U shape wire links that I finally found.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Technically there's not a "better", only different. You would have to compare cables vs. links to ascertain if there's any sonic difference and if that difference is an improvement or not.

Skipping the contentious debate of whether cables affect sound Eek hearing a difference will depend on how neutral the interconnects are. A dead neutral cable vs. links may yield negligible results, a heavily flavored cable like Cardas Golden Cross will affect the sound but whether or not it's an improvement will have varied opinions.

If you use the links I would recommend cleaning them. If they're gold plated a wipe with a microfiber cloth should be sufficient. If they're cadmium or otherwise dull looking a quick cleaning with DeOxit or something similar will assure ideal contact.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I used the fat cables for a while. They have gold ends and are the hi-tech kind. Later I re-hooked up the MQ101 equalizer with the same kind of cables. Put on a Chopin disc in the Rotel. That set with ML1 speakers sounds Soooo good. All cables are hi-tech, Rotel to tape mon, out and back to equalizer, and speaker lines.

David O'Brien, the gentleman here helped me set up my system in the 70s >>>http://www.roger-russell.com/clinics.htm

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post