SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    pre Beatles music and records
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pre Beatles music and records Login/Join 
posted
What records were you buying for your listening enjoyment?

we had Jimmy dean, andy williams, a dozen polka albums, tennesee ernie ford, a dozen broadway musicals, nat king cole ,tony bennett

so before 1961

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’m plenty old, but for once I can say, “I’m not that old!” Wink

Posts: 13239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Elvis, Ricky Nelson, lots of country and cowboy western. A few big band era and movie tunes.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Idunno, Duke Ellington or Bing Crosby could be a possibility.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Elvis, Roy Orbison, Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, and the Ventures. Mostly 45’s but a few lp’s.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
There was no music before The Beatles.

Next question. Big Grin

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
PS: There is a whole lot of outstanding Jazz music during the 50's.

Plenty of Classical music to choose from.

Blues, folk, the roots of rock and roll, that stuff is still with us.

One of my favorite albums was recorded in 1958, before I was born.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Billie Holliday, big band stuff. If this guy had lived he would have given Elvis some competition.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seriously!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember the SNL skits on Perry Como. Music for the almost dead was the theme. I now find I enjoy it.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
oh, lots

The Ventures, Herb Alpert, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, The Beach Boys....some Johnny cash, Hank Snow, Glen Miller

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
These were in my parents' collection...

Trini Lopez, Vikki Carr, Percy Faith, Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Blues and this guy who was good friends with Elvis. Always had a smile on his face.

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Growing up in the 50's and it was always Elvis, Ricky Nelson (he was big), Buddy Holly, Everly Brothers, just to name a few.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Chuck Berry
Elvis
Sam Cooke
Bo Diddley

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I first came into record buying age about the time the Beatles, Stones and others were starting to make their mark, mid to late 60's.
I remember Elvis before that and a few others that were not all that appealing.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was 14 in 1956, so I was there at the beginning. I saw Elvis in that first year of his fame. It was a madhouse. My hero and main interest was Bill Haley and his Comets. I actually got to meet him backstage at one of his concerts. I have never been so nervous before or since. With the exception of those two white guys, most of my interest was in the black artists. That would include Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Bo Diddley, Fats Domino, The Coasters, The Platters, James Brown and others too numerous to mention. One of my friends, who lived down the street, somehow became friendly with Bo Diddley. We lived in a upper middle class white neighborhood in a time, when segregation was still the norm. Several times, when he was in town for a concert,a Cadillac would roll up in front of my friend's house . Out of it would emerge Bo with his guitar and three or four of his band members. They'd head inside and jam with my friend for an hour or so, then take off. Have no idea what the neighbors thought, nor did we care.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post