SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    I need help finding the title to a cop movie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need help finding the title to a cop movie Login/Join 
posted
So, it has been decades since I last saw this movie but something I saw today reminded me of the opening and now I can’t figure out the title.

The movie dates from somewhere between the late 70s and mid 80s and I think it was set in either Pittsburg or Philly. It opens with undercover officers running a sting operation and they have invited a bunch of criminals with outstanding warrants to an event that supposedly featured a pro football player and when everyone arrived they would spring the trap and arrest them all.

Just as the officers are about to close the door a late arrival makes an appearance. The last guy to show up is a two bit criminal who is bringing his kid along to get an autograph and he is almost late. Seeing the kid the lead character tells him to go home and when the minor criminal protests the cop flashes his badge and tells the guy to go home. The guy gets the hint and thanks the cop and leaves.

What was that movie?

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sea of Love.
Al Pacino and John Goodman.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
Not sure that's the one. Sea of love was Pacino and Ellen Barkin about a serial killer that was knocking off men found through newspaper ads. I remember the movie that the OP is describing but can't come up with the name.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, that was the movie but dang I had the details way off. 1989, New York, and the Yankees. Wow, my memory must be slipping big time.

Thank you for the help.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ellen looked pretty good in this one!

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always had the hots for Ellen Barkin. She reminded me of a girl I dated in college.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Good movie. I always thought Ellen Barkin was extremely odd looking.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
I've not seen this movie but, sounds like a take-off from what U.S. Marshalls did in D.C. with the Washington Redskins.

ESPN has. 30 for 30 film documenting it. Pretty amazing what the Marshalls accomplished.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...ts-to-nab-fugitives/

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
I saw that movie at the show when it came out.

'Breakfast with the Yankees' at a run-down union hall...

That scene alone (to me) was worth the price of admission.

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Always had the hots for Ellen Barkin. She reminded me of a girl I dated in college.

If I had dated a woman as hot as Ellen Barkin in college, we would be divorced by now. Razz

Good movie!

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Good movie. I always thought Ellen Barkin was extremely odd looking.

Not classically beautiful, but when she turned it on Sex! was suddenly dripping off the...uh...screen.

Posts: 506 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I've seen the movie once or twice a long long time ago - but did not remember that scene.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Haha, another Samuel Jackson sighting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post