SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Dan Carlin: Hardcore History Addendum - Gladwell and the Bomber Mafia
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dan Carlin: Hardcore History Addendum - Gladwell and the Bomber Mafia Login/Join 
posted
Carlin's 'other' history podcast is the Addendum channel. This one he interviews Malcolm Gladwell, he of the Tipping Point and Revisionist History podcast has written a new book The Bomber Mafia: A Dream, a Temptation, and the Longest Night of the Second World War

For the record, I've not read the book..yet.
Gladwell dives into moral criticism of WWII strategic bombing tactics and methods, principally fire bombing, carpet bombing and the morality of such tactics. He says he didn't want to portray Curtis LeMay as either a hero or a villain however, it appears he's done just that. Gladwell likes to root around certain topics of interest attempting to give perspective, he's a journalist by trade. The problem is he's not an expert in WWII or warfare in general, he's certainly read a lot on the topic, has a degree in history and can hold a discussion but, his attempt to explain things is an example of revisionism with the benefit of hindsight, tenants that any serious historian reviles and abhors.

The reviews over-look what's lacking and the comments are quick to point-out the failings:
‘The Bomber Mafia’ Review: Architects of a Firestorm The promise of high-tech precision bombing gave way to more brutal methods as World War II dragged on.

Give it a listen, its one hour, pick up the book if you can.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I've listened to the podcast this came out of, his Revisionist History podcast season 5, that I found interesting.

To me, question of "right" and "wrong" especially in war are super difficult to assess, even after 70 plus years to review and critique. Even 20/20 hindsight doesn't allow us to "know" what would have happened or what was the "better" choice. What I found interesting, to me at least, was to have the podcast explore what happened to get the United States to the point of bomber asendency, and the rationales behind that tactic, the choices made both in favor and against it, and the consequenses of those decisions.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you liked that, also check out Hardcore History Episode 42 "Logical Insanity", one of Dan Carlin's standard Hardcore History episodes that also explored the rise of strategic bombing and the morality of carpet bombing/atomic bombing.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post