SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    3/17/17 to 3/19/17 Martial Arts Weekend
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3/17/17 to 3/19/17 Martial Arts Weekend Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted
Been a great weekend for martial arts:

Friday: Iron Fist is out on Netflix. Got a couple more episodes to go. While Finn is "ok" as an actor for gullible Danny Rand, he is no good as Iron Fist; he has the muscular mass of long term heroin addict or metrosexual hipster. Dude should have done some Crossfit and spent a lot more time working on his martial arts. His footwork is really bad but what drives me nuts is he can't even do a One Finger Shooting Zen properly. This is what it is suppose to look like:

hand and finger position should look like this:

Finn/Danny Rand/Iron Fist's look like this:

Saturday: Star Wars Rebels- the final fight between Obi-Wan and Darth Maul. I thought the fight scene was perfect, very similar to some of the duel scenes in my favorite Toshiro Mifune, Zatoichi and Lone Wolf and Cub samurai movies. Also had the second episode of the final season of Samurai Jack (SPOILER: Jack's not doing too well at the end of this one).

Sunday: Reruns of Into The Badlands season 1 episodes and season 2 premiere on tonight. After seeing the three monks fight Sonny in Season finale, that is the way Iron Fist fight scenes should have been done. Fantastic effects when senior monk did pressure point strikes on Sonny and the way the senior monk broke Sonny's sword.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
That's how he makes that hand posture? That's pretty bad. Did he learn it from John Travolta?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
That's how he makes that hand posture? That's pretty bad. Did he learn it from John Travolta?

It is really obvious when he is doing the "chi re-charging" form with Bakuto.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
He's so unsteady on his feet. It's so painful to watch.

For instance, watch the scene outside the warehouse where he first fights the drunken master guy. (That's as far as I am in the series currently. Don't care about spoilers, just giving you context.) That entire scene appears to be choreographed to give deference to a man that doesn't know jack shit about martial arts. You can see that when someone has trained in something and they throw a punch or kick, their limb is exactly where they intend it to be, and their body reacts accordingly. My foot is here because I intend to land a blow, and my weight and muscles are positioned to accommodate this extension and commitment to the move or maneuver.

The Iron Fist guy is just tossing his limbs around hoping the camera work and stunt people fix it to make it look real. It's ugly.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post