Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best HBO series Login/Join 
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I loved Rome but GoT is bigger & better.
Carnivale was good. I wish they hadnt canceled it so soon.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True Detective Season One

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Some of my favorites:
Sopranos
Deadwood
GoT
Broadway Empire
the Wire
Band of Brothers
Rome
Six Feet Under
True Detective
The Night of

Although very popular, I just couldn't get into Westworld but it might be something you'd like.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
John Adams was awesome.

More like a miniseries, but it was great. I loved every episode.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
John Adams was awesome.

More like a miniseries

Exactly like a miniseries, in fact. Big Grin

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The Wire is phenomenal. Season 5 is the only one I don't like very much.

1st Season True Detective is amazing.

Game of Thrones is amazing.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is probably my favorite comedy of all time.

1st couple seasons of Silicon Valley are pretty funny.

And I love Entourage as well.

Generation Kill is another good miniseries.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
How about the new one, Succession?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
How about the new one, Succession?

I'm watching and it's "okay". A bit tedious at times and there are a few characters that grate on me but the story line is interesting so I'll stick with it for awhile.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And oh, yes, the first season of True Detective. As the critic says in his analysis below, it is truly something special.
I grew up in coastal Louisiana, as did the writer, Nic Pizzolato. Unfortunately, it seems that Mr. Pizzolato was never comfortable there- he seems to have felt like an outsider and he harbors resentment of the place and its people. You can check out his comments about the place in interviews which were published after the first season debut.
Perhaps there is good reason why the man looks to be a one-hit wonder- in the first season, he knew more than a bit about the location and the effects of the isolation created by the landscape. So, for the second season, in Southern California, he was out of his element. To be fair, though- and I said it at the end of the first season- it would be quite a trick if Pizzolato had been able to equal it in the second, so it's not much of a surprise when that's how things turned out. Still...

I will say that the character of Rust Cohle and Matthew McConaughey's portrayal is one of the best things ever on the small screen. I feel an existential kinship with Cohle, although I do not share his views on the value (or lack thereof) of organized religion. Then again, I haven't suffered losses equivalent to those of Rust Cohle, and if life had dealt me the same body blows, I might be right there with him. Either way, Cohle is a fascinating character, and that's no exaggeration.

An insightful and intelligent analysis of the season:

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing Para. I really enjoyed that. Might need to watch Season 1 again, have not since it first came out.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In no particular order, The Wire, GOT, Boardwalk Empire and Deadwood.

I thought more ppl would have said The Sopranos.

Posts: 1662 | Location: NH | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
well, there was also a little series called "Band of Brothers" ... Big Grin

^^^^^^^^^^
This.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Along with Band of Brothers you've got to watch The Pacific. Another great series.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by terra:
In no particular order, The Wire, GOT, Boardwalk Empire and Deadwood.

I thought more ppl would have said The Sopranos.

OP said he's already seen Sopranos, BE, and Deadwood.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
The Sopranos and Game of Thrones are my top two for sure. I also really liked Deadwood, Boardwalk Empire, Band of Brothers and The Pacific. I still haven't watched The Wire or True Detective. I'll probably binge on those at some point soon.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
OP said he's already seen Sopranos, BE, and Deadwood.

Yeah, I read that too. As I said, I thought more would have suggested Sopranos as it seemed to be the first big hit for HBO. I was just listing my favorites, like the rest. Sorry.

Posts: 1662 | Location: NH | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Just rewatched season 1 of Deadwood
It’s much more nuanced than I remember
The colorful language and Swearengens character are what I remembered most from the past
They set records never to be broke in MFs and CSs

Watching it again, there are so many strong performances it boggles the mind
Bullock obviously, but Charlie, Jane and Joanie Stubbs come to mind.
The supporting characters are so well developed, and the writing so strong that I think I put this above The Wire now.

Maybe that changes after season 2, but I doubt it
The way it ended sucked, but the show was strong right up to the end.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
They set records never to be broke in MFs and CSs
Most certainly

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We haven' had a cable/satellite subscription for some time. When we did, my wife loved the Soproanos. I've never seen that series. Now that we have some streaming capability, the only HBO show I've watched was Deadwood, and I just loved that one. Watched the series more than once. Smile

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I guess nobody has seen Carnivale?

We liked it. Must have been our weird streak at the time. I don't remember the second season holding us as well, but we were disappointed when it was cancelled. Wow, that was 13 years ago.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post