Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best HBO series Login/Join 
posted
I have watched The Sopranos, Deadwood, The Deuce, Boardwalk Empire. Are there others worth watching?? I now have DVR capability.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Traditional series only? Game of Thrones is excellent. Westworld and Rome are worth watching too. The Wire as well.

But HBO also has a number of excellent miniseries. I think many of their miniseries are even better than their series. Stuff like Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Parade's End, Generation Kill, John Adams, and From the Earth to the Moon.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The Wire

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
The Wire

Yes. Slam-dunk. Okay, in fairness, only seasons 1 and 2 are A++, the others vary from A to B+.

But they ARE dated now.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I liked the season with the Amsterdam areas. Was that season 4?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Game of Thrones.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Game of Thrones is truly excellent

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Another vote for GoT.

Posts: 3674 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oz was great when it was on. If mini series count though I would say Band Of Brothers is the best by far.

Posts: 715 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I have yet to watch Deadwood, and I love westerns. I need to get on it

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Best? Who am I to say?

Favorite? Deadwood, no contest.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Game of Thrones
Westworld
True Detective (split between season 1 (great) & season 2 (wtf?))
Rome (only 2-seasons)
Deadwood
Wire
Treme
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Six Feet Under

Want mindless comedy entertainment
Entourage
Ballers
Silicon Valley

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I hadn't really studied much about the American Revolution. When I watched John Adams, the characters portrayed the raw patriotism they had for our young country so well that it THOROUGHLY elicited a true emotion within me about this great land. It was an AWESOME series!

If you're an Amazon Prime member, it's free.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
Game of Thrones without a doubt.

It is pretty amazing that you haven't seen Rome...well worth a look.

Six Feet Under is really good, if a bit dark.

If you like Dark, I can highly recommend Carnivale

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I think OZ was an hbo show too. That is worth a watch.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Currently Game of Thrones.

In the past, Six Feet Under and Girls. (No bullshit. I loved Girls! Really good quirky naturalistic delivery.)

Can I kick it old school? Tales from the Crypt and The Hitchhiker! Cool

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
well, there was also a little series called "Band of Brothers" ... Big Grin

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Wire

Treme

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
My vote is for Game of Thrones

Deadwood is a close second only because it was canceled after only a couple of seasons. There was just so much growth potential left in that series

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I guess nobody has seen Carnivale?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34082 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post