Tools

Best HBO series Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

the only HBO show I've watched was Deadwood, and I just loved that one. Watched the series more than once. Smile

Deadwood is so damn entertaining with unique and interesting characters and so well written acted and directed, it is easy to rewatch.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1gkek:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I guess nobody has seen Carnivale?

We liked it. Must have been our weird streak at the time. I don't remember the second season holding us as well, but we were disappointed when it was cancelled. Wow, that was 13 years ago.

Too bad it was canceled with 2 seasons to go

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by 1gkek:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I guess nobody has seen Carnivale?

We liked it. Must have been our weird streak at the time. I don't remember the second season holding us as well, but we were disappointed when it was cancelled. Wow, that was 13 years ago.

Too bad it was canceled with 2 seasons to go

I liked the way it was filmed. The characters were interesting. The story was getting pretty freaky but it’s hard to stay interested in something when it’s cancelled without any resolution.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
A lot of great recommendations above but I can't believe no one has mentioned Eastbound & Down. It is Danny McBride at his finest.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I am going to go out o a limb here and say that Game of Thrones is the greatest television series ever produced. If you're into that sorta thing.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
Deadwood. The writing in that show was amazing.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Didn’t have HBO when Deadwood was running, in fact, we didn’t have HBO, period. Still, we’ve got it now and have seen all of GoT and it’s aw-iight.

Band of Brothers. Working through it again now.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
WWASD? Cool

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Entourage

Posts: 791 | Location: PA | Registered: June 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of moose201
posted Hide Post
The Wire, for acting, writing, compelling story and unforgettable characters.

Posts: 264 | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Started True Detective, can't say I'm excited yet, first show was slow, not highly entertaining, I know they are setting up the subsequent shows but man, not one gun fight, no cocksuckas, no sword play just some odd dream chasers in a tree and a nude hooker with some horns on her head....

Its gonna have to step it up.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's like tasting a fine wine and saying it tastes like cough syrup.

Posts: 107500 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Started True Detective, can't say I'm excited yet, first show was slow, not highly entertaining, I know they are setting up the subsequent shows but man, not one gun fight, no cocksuckas, no sword play just some odd dream chasers in a tree and a nude hooker with some horns on her head....

Its gonna have to step it up.

It just might not be for you. It doesn't have much of that. Ironically, it also has one of the best action sequences I've ever seen on a TV show.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well this one did give me that drowsey sleepy better so I could rest feeling..

Have to watch show 2 tonight see if it picks up, I'm not saying the acting isn't good or the writing since its only one episode and the first but man, that one was brutally weird....

someone shoulda got cut with a big ol honking double bladed sword or maybe since is was louisiana cut in the belly and tossed in da swamp....

We shall see...

So far it's been a bit California Table Red not quite to the Chateau Margaux level yet... Big Grin

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True Blood...surprised I'd like a vampire series but my wife and I loved it.

Posts: 791 | Location: PA | Registered: June 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, True Blood is just about the only vampire series I was ever interested in, although they lost me after season 2 or 3. Stephen Root had a minor part in, I think, Season 1 and he's always worth watching.

Returning, though, to True Detective, I identify strongly with the character of Rust Cohle- overly complex and inscrutable at times. I think McConaughey's portrayal of the character was as good as anyone could have made it. His performance, along with the excellent character actor Glenn Fleshler (almost on a par with Stephen Root), who played the villain (and also played George Remus in Boardwalk Empire) is something you should see.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107500 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Rome and GoT for me. Several others are good like Silicon Valley, but they jumped the shark before the show ended.

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Sopranos, Band of Brothers and Deadwood. (Swaringen you cocksucka) . Not in any order, all were exceptional in their own way. Mentioned was the Pacific version of Band of Brothers, but I could never get into it.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5295 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
To resurrect an old thread.

Lockdown has given us a lot of time to watch TV.

We finished Deadwood season 3 last night. You can really tell the writers were not expecting to be canceled. So many loose threads.

Hoping that the movie ties up a lot of things. Will watch it tonight.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Don't forget The Rightous Gemstones.

If you skip the last season of GoT, you will save a few hours of your life (last episode especially) and have a better story in your mind's eye.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post