SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Underrated Western Movies
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Underrated Western Movies Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Not completely obscure, but I always thought The Cowboys was very underrated. Of course John Wayne made so many quality western films to choose from.

The Cowboys is one of my 5 favorite Westerns. It's hard for me to call any John Wayne movie underrated--certainly true that very few people are unfamiliar with a John Wayne Western.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Terror of Tinytown"... Especially when I'm drunk.

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Not completely obscure, but I always thought The Cowboys was very underrated. Of course John Wayne made so many quality western films to choose from.

The Cowboys is one of my 5 favorite Westerns. It's hard for me to call any John Wayne movie underrated--certainly true that very few people are unfamiliar with a John Wayne Western.

Big Jake is a great turn-of-the-century western.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Red Sun with Charles Bronson. Never talked about when the subject of Bronson movies is brought up.
It illustrates how Hollywood could think outside the box back then.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
"Yellow Sky" (1948) staring Greg Peck, Anne Baxter, and Richard Widmark.

Or, you could go for its remake, known as "The Jackals" (1967), staring Vincent Price. What makes this version different, it is set in the Transvaal in South Africa! Eek

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Cowboys is up there on my list as well.

When people list Wayne's greatest westerns, Stagecoach, The Searchers, Red River, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, True Grit, Rio Bravo are always mentioned. The Cowboys never gets mentioned. If you scan the many Best Western lists, it never makes the top 50.

Just an observation.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No one has mentioned Eastwood yet.

Pale Rider and High Plains Drifter are both excellent. Especially if you look at them with the allegorical undertones in mind. Pale Rider was a retelling of Shane. Joe Kidd is good, maybe not on the same level as Pale Rider.

Or maybe they're not considered underrated.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed open range with Robert Duvall.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
"The Terror of Tinytown"... Especially when I'm drunk.

It is not held in high regard.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

When people list Wayne's greatest westerns, Stagecoach, The Searchers, Red River, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, True Grit, Rio Bravo are always mentioned. The Cowboys never gets mentioned. If you scan the many Best Western lists, it never makes the top 50.

Just an observation.

I am not sure how obscure it is, after all Bruce Dern does kill the Duke, but yes it is under rated in my book. And one of my favorite movies.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
quote:
quote:

Just an observation.

I am not sure how obscure it is, after all Bruce Dern does kill the Duke, but yes it is under rated in my book. And one of my favorite movies.

Add me to the list that thinks that The Cowboys is an underrated Western. I was 11 or 12 when I first saw it and John Wayne was already deeply entrenched as my American Hero. For decades I hated Bruce Dern for shooting the Duke in the back! To this day I cannot watch the scene where Duke's character Wil Andersen tells the young "Cowboys" how proud of them he is with his dying breath without my eyes getting blurry. Then I want to cheer when the boys conspire with Mr. Nightlinger to exact revenge on "Long Hair" Bruce Dern and his gang and finish the job they were hired to do for Mr. Andersen.
Very powerful symbolism as the "Cowboys" serve as surrogate sons to replace Mr. Anderson's own sons that he lost years ago. He in return serves as surrogate father to the boys on the cattle drive. The music also is memorable, as every time Bruce Dern's character is lurking around there is that haunting score in the background. Excellent film!

Posts: 374 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
The Gunfighter.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always enjoyed "Cheyenne Social Club" with Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda and Shirley Jones.
"Duel in the Sun" with Gregory Peck and Jennifer Jones is outstanding.

Posts: 160 | Location: Iowa | Registered: November 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Couple things. There's a retired rodeo cowboy whose posts I follow on FB. Recently, he posted a picture of Bruce Dern as Asa Watts in "The Cowboys." Like several of us here, the movie is a favorite of many in the rodeo community. One of those who responded played Homer Weems in the movie: "My name's Homer Weems, Mr. Anderson, and I hope I ain't rode all the rough off 'im."

Apparently, Wayne told Bruce Dern to treat him disrespectfully during the filming. He wanted the boys to genuinely hate Dern's character.

Thought of another picture that's under appreciated, The Grey Fox, with character actor, Richard Farnsworth in the title role. A great story about the evolving West at the turn of the century. It actually takes place in Canada.

Similar to Ben Johnson, Farnsworth was a sure enough hand with horses and did lots of movie stunt work. I don't know why, but the movie is never shown on television, and it's difficult to find to buy (I've tried). Found it on YouTube this morning, not sure yet if it's fully available there or not, but it appears to be.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
As cheesy as they were, I'd throw the "Trinity" movies into the mix, especially Trinity Is Still My Name.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Will Penny", anyone?

How about "Night of the Stalking Moon"?

Posts: 116 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heaven with a gun, Sons of katie Elder, Big hand for a little lady, The shooting, Hombre, Bandolero.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re: Richard Farnsworth - The Outlaw Josey Wales was on over the weekend and he shows up in it as one of the comancheros. If I recall correctly his character in the Grey Fox carried a Colt Bisley , which is an unusual choice for a movie pistol.

Posts: 81 | Location: Springfield. USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Endorsements for two previously mentioned:
Ulzana's Raid - a deeply affecting movie
Will Penny

and an addition:
Ride Lonesome - A batch of very fine actors, with exceptionally good dialog.

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Geronimo: American Legend. I thought that was a great movie

Posts: 2221 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post