SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Underrated Western Movies
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Underrated Western Movies Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
I love Westerns. We've had a few threads about favorite Westerns and the lists posted, or favorites mentioned, are pretty predictable.

Please don't post that Shane, Lonesome Dove, Tombstone, The Searchers, High Noon, Josey Wales, etc., etc., are underrated.

As the title says, this thread is about those Westerns rarely mentioned in someone's top 10, but that you would recommend a fan of Western movies watching.

At the top of my list would be Brando and Mauldin in "One-Eyed Jacks." Still in his prime at this time, it's the only film directed by Brando. The cast includes Slim Pickens and my favorite Western character actor, Ben Johnson.

Honorable mention to another Brando film, "The Appaloosa," with John Saxon and Anjanette Comer.

I also like the Anthony Mann Westerns with Stewart--all of them, "The Naked Spur" in particular. I like the fact that Stewart often played against type in Mann's movies, none more so than "Spur."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There are quite a few, but off the top of my head- Jacques Tourneur's Canyon Passage from 1946. Dana Andrews, Brian Donlevy, Susan Hayward, Ward Bond.

Beautifully shot in Technicolor, this is not a run of the mill Western. Highly recommended.

No doubt, I'll think of others, but this is the film that immediately came to mind.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I've never seen that one, para. Thanks, I'll look for it

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I think Quigley Down Under is underrated.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Bite the Bullet, many critics consider it the best Western of the 1970s, however many people seem unfamiliar with it.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Well, that's not a Western. It doesn't even take place in the Northern hemisphere, much less the American West.

posted Hide Post
Hombre.
I was 17 when it was released and there was no internet, so maybe it was celebrated without my knowledge at the time, but it never gets mentioned much anymore, except here from time to time

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ulzanas Raid. A very gritty Western. US Cavalry versus Apaches. Burt Lancaster as a Cavalry Scout.
The Oxbow Incident. Western take on mob justice.
Henry Fonda.
My Darling Clementine. Based on Stuart Lakes book, Frontier Marshal, about the Earp legend.
Henry Fonda.
The Westerner. Walter Brennan as Judge Roy Bean. Also with Gary Cooper.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Well, that's not a Western. It doesn't even take place in the Northern hemisphere, much less the American West.

But it wants to be a western. Wink

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I liked The Last Hard Men with Charlton Heston and James Coburn.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
But it wants to be a western. Wink
It does, and to be fair, the opening credits do take place in the American West.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Ulzanas Raid. A very gritty Western. US Cavalry versus Apaches. Burt Lancaster as a Cavalry Scout.

Factoid that may interest only me. The actor who played Ulzana also played Paints His Shirt Red in Jeremiah Johnson. He was Mexican and actually earned an MD in Mexico City, but got too much work in movies to practice medicine.

posted Hide Post
Missouri Breaks was a pretty good film.

Picture of rwilli
posted Hide Post
Wow, I am surprised that no one mentioned "Barbarosa" with Willie Nelson and Gary Busy---one of my all time favorites.

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams

Posts: 125 | Location: Southern Missouri | Registered: November 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although a comedy, Waterhole # 3 is pretty good.

[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/6y3xEv-sgwU [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently watched Decision at Sundown.
Well done in my opinion.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Not completely obscure, but I always thought The Cowboys was very underrated. Of course John Wayne made so many quality western films to choose from.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Don't know if it's underrated, but Winchester 73 was pretty good.

Filmed in 1950 and starred James Stewart, Shelly Winters and a host of others

Link to Trailer

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
A few more modern ones... Wyatt Earp is lost in the shadow of Tombstone. Also, the Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, though critically acclaimed, is underrated by viewers. Is it truly a western, though? Im not sure. Geronimo: An American Legend is also a very good movie you don't hear much about.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My name is bill tillman, monty walsh, crossfire trail.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post