SIGforum
Underrated Western Movies

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/5680096324

May 03, 2017, 02:33 PM
TMats
Underrated Western Movies
I love Westerns. We've had a few threads about favorite Westerns and the lists posted, or favorites mentioned, are pretty predictable.

Please don't post that Shane, Lonesome Dove, Tombstone, The Searchers, High Noon, Josey Wales, etc., etc., are underrated.

As the title says, this thread is about those Westerns rarely mentioned in someone's top 10, but that you would recommend a fan of Western movies watching.

At the top of my list would be Brando and Mauldin in "One-Eyed Jacks." Still in his prime at this time, it's the only film directed by Brando. The cast includes Slim Pickens and my favorite Western character actor, Ben Johnson.

Honorable mention to another Brando film, "The Appaloosa," with John Saxon and Anjanette Comer.

I also like the Anthony Mann Westerns with Stewart--all of them, "The Naked Spur" in particular. I like the fact that Stewart often played against type in Mann's movies, none more so than "Spur."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

May 03, 2017, 02:38 PM
parabellum
There are quite a few, but off the top of my head- Jacques Tourneur's Canyon Passage from 1946. Dana Andrews, Brian Donlevy, Susan Hayward, Ward Bond.

Beautifully shot in Technicolor, this is not a run of the mill Western. Highly recommended.

No doubt, I'll think of others, but this is the film that immediately came to mind.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
May 03, 2017, 02:42 PM
TMats
I've never seen that one, para. Thanks, I'll look for it

May 03, 2017, 03:08 PM
Bigboreshooter
I think Quigley Down Under is underrated.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

May 03, 2017, 03:25 PM
clubleaf206
Bite the Bullet, many critics consider it the best Western of the 1970s, however many people seem unfamiliar with it.

May 03, 2017, 03:26 PM
parabellum
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Well, that's not a Western. It doesn't even take place in the Northern hemisphere, much less the American West.
May 03, 2017, 03:28 PM
FrankMoses
Hombre.
I was 17 when it was released and there was no internet, so maybe it was celebrated without my knowledge at the time, but it never gets mentioned much anymore, except here from time to time
May 03, 2017, 03:29 PM
YooperSigs
Ulzanas Raid. A very gritty Western. US Cavalry versus Apaches. Burt Lancaster as a Cavalry Scout.
The Oxbow Incident. Western take on mob justice.
Henry Fonda.
My Darling Clementine. Based on Stuart Lakes book, Frontier Marshal, about the Earp legend.
Henry Fonda.
The Westerner. Walter Brennan as Judge Roy Bean. Also with Gary Cooper.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
May 03, 2017, 04:02 PM
Bigboreshooter
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Well, that's not a Western. It doesn't even take place in the Northern hemisphere, much less the American West.

But it wants to be a western. Wink

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

May 03, 2017, 04:14 PM
hberttmank
I liked The Last Hard Men with Charlton Heston and James Coburn.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock
May 03, 2017, 04:20 PM
parabellum
quote:
But it wants to be a western. Wink
It does, and to be fair, the opening credits do take place in the American West.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
May 03, 2017, 04:31 PM
TMats
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Ulzanas Raid. A very gritty Western. US Cavalry versus Apaches. Burt Lancaster as a Cavalry Scout.

Factoid that may interest only me. The actor who played Ulzana also played Paints His Shirt Red in Jeremiah Johnson. He was Mexican and actually earned an MD in Mexico City, but got too much work in movies to practice medicine.

May 03, 2017, 04:41 PM
Bigboreshooter
Missouri Breaks was a pretty good film.

May 03, 2017, 05:10 PM
rwilli
Wow, I am surprised that no one mentioned "Barbarosa" with Willie Nelson and Gary Busy---one of my all time favorites.

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams
May 03, 2017, 06:00 PM
recoatlift
Although a comedy, Waterhole # 3 is pretty good.

[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/6y3xEv-sgwU [/FLASH_VIDEO]
May 03, 2017, 06:20 PM
PCWyoming
Recently watched Decision at Sundown.
Well done in my opinion.

PC
May 03, 2017, 06:31 PM
oddball
Not completely obscure, but I always thought The Cowboys was very underrated. Of course John Wayne made so many quality western films to choose from.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
May 03, 2017, 06:40 PM
ugeesta
Don't know if it's underrated, but Winchester 73 was pretty good.

Filmed in 1950 and starred James Stewart, Shelly Winters and a host of others

Link to Trailer

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.
May 03, 2017, 07:13 PM
YellowJacket
A few more modern ones... Wyatt Earp is lost in the shadow of Tombstone. Also, the Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, though critically acclaimed, is underrated by viewers. Is it truly a western, though? Im not sure. Geronimo: An American Legend is also a very good movie you don't hear much about.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
May 03, 2017, 07:31 PM
DSgrouse
My name is bill tillman, monty walsh, crossfire trail.