SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Day of Infamy - WWII infantry PC Game and Born to Kill: Vietnam mod.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Day of Infamy - WWII infantry PC Game and Born to Kill: Vietnam mod. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
I haven't posted about it, but I've been playing this game a lot lately. There's no vehicles, it's infantry only. Basically the spiritual successor to Day of Defeat, but done right. If you played Day of Defeat, you'll recognize most of the maps, as they're either complete remakes of the original classics, or a mish-mash of the best parts of different custom and official maps. It plays very well. Normally $20, it's 50% off. If you like WWII shooters, I definitely recommend you check it out. For the price, you can't lose.

It's multiplayer and has multiple modes where you can play against bots or live players. The bots are good, and if you just want some WWII action without dealing with live players or latency issues, there's plenty of gametime there. The weapons are good, feel realistic and deadly. The game rewards marksmanship, rifle hits to the torso are kills at just about any range. I've landed one-shot 1911 headshot kills on Germans from a hundred meters or so. The other night, my brother and I steamrolled an objective map in about five minutes using M1 carbines and scoring some rather ridiculous shots at fairly good ranges. The Garand feels better than probably any other game I've played where it appeared. Landing repeated bayonet thrusts in a bunker full of Germans you just charged in to definitely gets the heart going.

Here's a brief video review:

Here's a series of entries about past updates:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/day-of-infamy/

The link to buy the game with the discount is here:
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/day-of-infamy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Day of Infamy is good stuff. I haven't really played with anybody else, it's sort of my go-to weird hour game, when I'm up and nobody else is, but I wanna kill some Nazis. It looks a liiiiittle dated, but it's smooth and stable. The bots are kind of retarded, but what else is new? For $10, it's hard to go wrong here.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Does this rely on other players? You mention bots, is it usable as a single-player?

Didn't look too deep, and I missed the sale already, but it's been a while since I did some Nazi scalping.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
Does this rely on other players? You mention bots, is it usable as a single-player?

It's primarily a multiplayer, but there's a coop mode built into the game, so yes, the bots are good enough to play against and have fun. They won't play just like live players, but they'll kill you plenty. There's an offline "Practice" mode that I just played a round of Salerno on and dropped plenty of Germans. But they also got me good a number of times. I wasn't feeling a lack for not having live players.

quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
Didn't look too deep, and I missed the sale already, but it's been a while since I did some Nazi scalping.

Yeah, I found out about it halfway through, apparently. At full price, I still feel like I got a heck of a deal on the game. I'll get plenty of gametime out of it.

Ohhhhhhh, and there's a very good mod for it called Born to Kill, and it's a Vietnam mod. There's a number of good maps, and the bots will kill you even deader in that mod. So really, it's like a two for one.

There's also a Steam bundle for Day of Infamy along with Insurgency, which deserves a whole other thread of it's own, but that's the same engine with modern combat and an absurd amount of free user-generated content, also true of Day of Infamy. Anyway, if one were inclined, one could cover WWII, Vietnam, and the desert wars in one bundle.

This video shows a much earlier version of the game, but it's not loaded with players screaming over headsets. It'll give you an idea.

ASG: That's exactly what I love it for. Source is definitely continuing the legacy of the original engine in terms of longevity. Even for an older engine, it actually looks pretty darn good. Smooth and stable on a variety of computers, which is worth mentioning here also. You don't need a powerhouse PC to run this game, and the engine scales real well sacrificing visuals you won't miss for smoother performance.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Day of Infamy is free to play this weekend, and 50% ofg, just a heads up if you missed out last time.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I own this game, and boot it up and fire into some Nazi scum once in a while. It's great.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post