SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Ready Player One
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ready Player One Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Maybe I need to add this to the Kindle list

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Its worth it. It's a great read, especially for those of us who lived the 80s in school as tweens/teens whom a lot of this stuff is directed at.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I just finished reading the novel. Since the trailer shows the Iron Giant walking around, I'm going to assume they couldn't get the rights to use the anime mecha as described in the novel. I do hope they include the conversation Aech and Perzival are having about Ladyhawke, including the line about Spielberg directing it wouldn't change Aech's opinion. Big Grin

Oh, and here's a pretty cool music video that seens unrelated to the movie but was released to coincide with it:

https://youtu.be/WQaH3lh-CA4

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I listened to about 6 hours of the book on Audible and want the 6 hours back. Most boring book of my life. Couldn't do it any longer.

That could be will Wheaton's reading. he is a giant bore.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Oh, and here's a pretty cool music video that seens unrelated to the movie but was released to coincide with it

If anything, that needs a Spoiler Warning tag, as it's basically the plot of the book/film, verbatim (albeit severely truncated). Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I listened to about 6 hours of the book on Audible and want the 6 hours back. Most boring book of my life. Couldn't do it any longer.

That could be will Wheaton's reading. he is a giant bore.

Yeah... I enjoyed the book despite Wil Wheaton's narration.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
The second trailer gave me serious misgivings of the upcoming movie. To me, it looked liked they were taking story away from the main character. Maybe it was due to who they cast as the lead, or maybe they wanted to make the side characters more significant.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I think a good 70% of that trailer was stuff not in the book. Doesnt make me want to see it

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
I absolutely loved the book. LOVED IT!

That being said, I'm expecting a visually appealing, way too many liberties taken, steaming pile of Hollywood poop.

I hope I am wrong.

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Caught the movie yesterday, and was favorably impressed.

3-D was worth it, definitely. They had to leave things out for time constraints (wondered how they would do that) and threw in some curves vs. the book.

Overall, very well done, IMO.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just finished reading the novel. Since the trailer shows the Iron Giant walking around, I'm going to assume they couldn't get the rights to use the anime mecha as described in the novel....
you've assumed incorrectly.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Have read the book three times, one of my absolute favorites. The movie was good but disappointing. Visually it was fantastic

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Movie was meh.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Movie was meh.

That's nicer than I would have said it, but I agree.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
I just finished reading the novel. Since the trailer shows the Iron Giant walking around, I'm going to assume they couldn't get the rights to use the anime mecha as described in the novel....
you've assumed incorrectly.

I was more correct than incorrect. The only anime mecha used was the RX-78 Gundam. None of the others in the novel were featured.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Took the kids to see it and was pleasantly surprised- mostly by a lot of references to things I saw, played, and remembered from my childhood. Mecha-Godzilla, Atari's Adventure, complete with the hidden Easter egg, Iron Giant, and the Glaive weapon from Krull, to name a few. I have yet to read the book, so I guess I had nothing to be disappointed about...

The kids enjoyed it, so there's that as well.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I loved the movie, but didn't read the book.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
My wife and I saw the movie today. We saw a feature on it this morning on the CBS Sunday Morning program. She wanted to go and I agreed to go with her.

I won’t go to a comic book movie, only saw the first Harry Potter, and generally speaking, am not a sci-fi fan.

I saw this thread earlier in the week, took a look and decided it wasn’t about me and moved on. All that to say, I liked the movie. It’s a Spielberg show, so it has all his money, clout, and resources. I really felt like this wasn’t pure sci-fi, I thought it was plausible.

We stopped at the grocery store on the way home. The checker was a young guy who had not seen it, but was certainly familiar with it. He told us that from what he could gather, the gaming community had issues with it, those outside that community generally liked it.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Spoiler alert:
The first key being a "race" was bad enough. The driving in reverse being the clue was amazingly bad. The scale of the Oasis was completely underwhelming, compared to the book. Relics not being earned, but bought was an absolute punch in the face to anyone who has played any EA game, Destiny and dealt with the "pay to win" change to gaming these last few years. Making the main character into an ignorant child and giving all of his character development to other characters really chapped me. Moving his meeting with Artemis to the middle of the movie and making her the leader of some revolution? Jeeze. While visually entertaining, this movie was an absolute embarrassment to anyone who read the story.

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they wiped their ass with the book

I just don't get it, why Hollywood does this. Hey, here's a book everyone loves so let's make a movie and shit all over the story. I don't get it.

Guess I'll skip it

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I just don't get it, why Hollywood does this. Hey, here's a book everyone loves so let's make a movie and shit all over the story. I don't get it.

I was thinking about this after watching Ready Player One. It's ironic that we complain constantly that Hollywood doesn't do much that's original; yet, they always seem to ruin material based on novels or previous movies.

Star Wars movies work because they follow a certain formula. When Rian decided to be original in his approach to making the The Last Jedi, it threw people who were expecting to see the formula recreated. And when we read a novel and want to see it brought to life, we don't want it to be different from what we've read so are almost always upset when the movies are.