SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Ready Player One
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ready Player One Login/Join 
Picture of SR025
posted
Not sure if anyone else has read the book but it is fantastic. If you like sci fi loaded with 1980s references to movies, games and pop culture I think you'd like this one.

There is going to be a movie as well and looks pretty cool.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I don't know the premise of the movie based on the trailer, other than it's got dozens of fleeting shots of iconic characters and vehicles from other sources. That's not much of an enticement to watch this, Spielberg or no.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Yeah I read the book and enjoyed it. Looking forward to the movie!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
The book was a great read. But then, that sometimes gets lost in the movie, which I know is the understatement of the [what's the right word here? century (only 16 years), millennium (ditto) . . . sigh. I need a new figure of speech I guess].

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
That looks are-tarded...

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The book was great, although not without flaws. I'll probably watch the movie once it comes out on Blu-Ray.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
The book was fantastic.
I put off reading it for a while until it showed up in a loot-crate one day.
Then I sat down and read the whole thing in one sitting.
It had more 80's references than I was ready to comprehend (I was born in '79 so I'm sure I missed more than a couple).

Really looking forward to the movie.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Read the book twice. Looking forward to Hollywood bringing amazing visuals, while completely alienating my values.

Edited to add. Just watched the trailer, they misquoted the book in the first 10 seconds and completely changed the main character'r appearance. Doesn't look like they will be representing the book, except in name.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
Read the book twice. Looking forward to Hollywood bringing amazing visuals, while completely alienating my values.

Edited to add. Just watched the trailer, they misquoted the book in the first 10 seconds and completely changed the main character'r appearance. Doesn't look like they will be representing the book, except in name.

The author co wrote the screenplay.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Anyone who thinks the book will translate directly over to movie format isn't being realistic. The budget for music alone would be a deal breaker let alone all the tv/movie/cartoon/game content. And a lot of things in the story would be awfully hard to convey fully, details of the backstory, etc.

I will brave the theater to see it just because I loved the book so much, but I'll walk in with an open mind.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
it's not a marvel comic movie, so that's a plus from the git go.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:
Anyone who thinks the book will translate directly over to movie format isn't being realistic. The budget for music alone would be a deal breaker let alone all the tv/movie/cartoon/game content. And a lot of things in the story would be awfully hard to convey fully, details of the backstory, etc.

I will brave the theater to see it just because I loved the book so much, but I'll walk in with an open mind.

This is pretty much how I feel about. Absolutely loved the book so for that alone I'll see it in the theater and hope I'm not disappointed.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Soooo... what's it about? Nobody has answered that question yet.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chach:

A very brief summary:

In the near future, the world economy has collapsed. The real world basically sucks. So everyone spends all their free time escaping to a fully-immersive virtual-reality online simulation known as The Oasis, where anything is possible. The enigmatic creator of The Oasis dies. In his will, he leaves his multi-billion-dollar fortune and full control of The Oasis to whoever finds the treasure that he's hidden in The Oasis. He was obsessed with 1980s pop culture, so all the clues to the treasure revolve around 1980s music/movies/TV/games/etc. The protagonist is a teenage boy who's determined to solve the clues and find the treasure inside The Oasis. He makes some allies along the way, and faces off against a number of enemies and rivals, namely an evil multinational technology corporation that is determined to find the treasure and assume control over The Oasis.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that sounds pretty cool. Will have to add the book to my kindle queue.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Chach:

A very brief summary:

In the near future, the world economy has collapsed. The real world basically sucks. So everyone spends all their free time escaping to a fully-immersive virtual-reality online simulation known as The Oasis, where anything is possible. The enigmatic creator of The Oasis dies. In his will, he leaves his multi-billion-dollar fortune and full control of The Oasis to whoever finds the treasure that he's hidden in The Oasis. He was obsessed with 1980s pop culture, so all the clues to the treasure revolve around 1980s music/movies/TV/games/etc. The protagonist is a teenage boy who's determined to solve the clues and find the treasure inside The Oasis. He makes some allies along the way, and faces off against a number of enemies and rivals, namely an evil multinational technology corporation that is determined to find the treasure and assume control over The Oasis.

That's a great, succinct summary! Smile Smile

I 'read' it as an Audible, and really liked it. I am hopeful it will make a good movie.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished the book, amazing!

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I listened to about 6 hours of the book on Audible and want the 6 hours back. Most boring book of my life. Couldn't do it any longer.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
it's a great read. one of my top books for 2016.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
I read the entire book in one go as well.

It has all the basics of a great story as laid out in The Hero With a Thousand Faces

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1589 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post