SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Ready Player One
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ready Player One Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
That circle where all of the avatars were emerging from reminded me of Piers Anthony's Split Infinity.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So what exactly were they doing in the loyalty centers?

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
This movie was garbage. My young boys liked it but it’s definitely rental material. The digital effects and 80’s references were fun but otherwise, the movie blows.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I wasnt expecting much and was still disappointed.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
** maybe spoilers **

Liked the book, and for some reason I didn't expect the movie to follow it, and of course it strayed, so it didn't bother me. A couple of scenes stood out for me - the first was when we're introduced to Aech - scorpions and everything. The second was the Kubrick sequence - especially when you expect to see Jack when you hear his exhaustive grunting has he hobbles through the snowed in labyrinth (so I guess you do see him) - then it lost me with the second dance sequence, which I could have done without.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The theater by me is stupid expensive, so I've been getting more selective in which movies I'll pay to see. Glad i read this thread, I'll skip this turd. Sounds like they ignored the book totally.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife read the book, I didn't.
Took the boy to see it over the weekend.
Not a bad movie, but I think the gamers out there would enjoy it more than I did. Liked the 80's references, but found fault in the fact that no one worked, except the bad guys and the cops......

Posts: 269 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I paid $6 for a 6:30pm Thursday showing.

What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by josp:
but I think the gamers out there would enjoy it more than I did.

As someone who spent about 1500hrs playing Destiny, I can tell you I was completely unimpressed by how they portrayed gamers. For example, there are few communities who exceed gamers in data mining ever since the first Easter eggs showed up in games. To suggest that millions of players were racing daily to obtain the first key (not in the book btw), and no one for 5-years ever drove in reverse? GTFO.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
The '80s pop culture, scifi, comic book, fantasy, video game, etc references are fun for viewers over 30 or those who are into that stuff. It's like playing trivia.

If you're expecting an engaging plot and character development, you'll most likely be disappointed, as the script was designed to appeal to viewers under 19. These same viewers will probably miss most of the pop culture references and Easter eggs, b/c how many teenagers for example, do you think have seen The Shining?

You could complain about plot holes all day, but IMHO, it's like complaining about plot holes in The Goonies. It's a turn-off-your-brain summer fluff adventure movie. Speaking of which, I was surprised they didn't release this movie over the summer. My friend pointed out that, it's probably b/c they didn't have enough confidence in RPO to release it around heavy hitters like Avengers: Infinity War and other blockbusters that start coming out in May.

Overall, I thought it was entertaining yet forgettable. I haven't read the book, and I didn't go in expecting much.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Seems the book is highly recommended here, so I just ordered it. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I loved the 80’s pop culture references. Overall I thought it was a fun movie. It was excellent seeing Kaneda’s bike from Akira and the Delorean from Back to the Future on the big screen again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed it. Didn't read the book.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The book is great. I read it in 2013, and could not have imagined how they would have made it into a movie.

On a recent road trip to Albany, my wife and daughter (me too) listened to it read by Will Wheaton, and I really enjoyed it again. We saw it on Sunday, and the three of us universally thought that it did not even remotely live up to the book.

I read on Monday that Earnest Cline said in an interview, that the screenplay was written to not match the book. The movie had 80"s references not in the book, and the book had a bunch more that were not in the movie. Put them together, and it is still entertaining.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
IronChef-
It was supposed to be released before Christmas, got bumped because of Star Wars.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Here is a better video on the Infinadeck.

Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I saw with Mrs. Highlander yesterday and we both liked it.

I don't understand why everyone is bitching it is not as good as the book. NEWSFLASH: the movie is NEVER as good as the book and we all know that. The only exception is Godfather 1&2 because they were great and Puzo's book was complete shit.

Edited 4/18 for not proofreading before posting and making myself look like an idiot.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Green Highlander,

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
NEWSFLASH: the book is NEVER as good as the movie and we all know that.

dafuq is this shit?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I think his dyslexia hit high stride.