Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headphone Amp Login/Join 
Picture of JasonATI
posted
I can't decide if I should go with a tube amp or solid state for my headphones, picked up some Sennheiser HD6xx.

Any recommendations on what I should be looking for?

Thank You

Posts: 428 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JasonATI:
I can't decide if I should go with a tube amp or solid state for my headphones, picked up some Sennheiser HD6xx.

Any recommendations on what I should be looking for?

Thank You

I bought a small portable headphone amp and it had a hum in it from the gitgo. So the next time around I purchased a la-422058939293&psc=1" target="_blank"> tube amp from SMSL and I love it.

20191023_103700 by redstone71, on Flickr

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I run a Garage 1217 Project Polaris amp with my Senns. Earlier used a Schiit Vali hybrid tube amp which is now stored away.

There are several amps getting glowing reviews on www.audiosciencereview.com: JDS Atom (a best buy!), THX AAA789, Topping DX7 Pro DAC/AMP.

The tube vs solid state business is an old discussion. My preference is what has the best synergy with the cans it'll be used with. FWIW the Polaris was designed with that in mind. Here's a review along with comments by the designer solderdude:
https://www.audiosciencereview...polaris-hp-amp.9003/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
bald1 I found some of your reviews on another site where you talk about the Schiit audio Valhalla 2. Which did you prefer, the Valhalla 2 or the Polaris?

Posts: 428 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
bald1 I found some of your reviews on another site where you talk about the Schiit audio Valhalla 2. Which did you prefer, the Valhalla 2 or the Polaris?

You sure that wasn't the Vali 2 I was talking about?

I chose the Polaris over the Vali 2 when I upgraded from my Vali 1. Smile

Really like the flexibility with the settings that can be made, plenty of power, plus, as previously said, the synergy with my Senns. http://garage1217.com/garage12...e_amplifiers_014.htm

Did you read the ASR review linked above and all the comments? Available in kit ($215) or ready built ($250). It's a niche design not for everyone. That said being redundant I like it a lot. Smile

You might be best served by the JDS Labs Atom @ $99 https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-amp/
Lots of reviews touting the excellence of this unit including https://www.audiosciencereview...-headphone-amp.5262/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
This was the review that i saw
https://www.head-fi.org/thread...-2-vs-vali-2.807892/
This weekend I'll have more time to read up on all the links, might need to quit my job these 12-14hr days are getting in the way of my research Smile

Thanks again

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
This was the review that i saw
https://www.head-fi.org/thread...-2-vs-vali-2.807892/

Ah yes, not a review per se but a collection of reviewers comments I put together to help the OP. Note my opening disclaimer that I owned neither the Vahalia 2 nor Vali 2.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I'm certainly no audio connoisseur, but the sound I get from my Mac mini's 3.5mm output into my Beyer Dynamics DT 880 Pro headphones seems pretty good to me. I've tried DACs and amps in the past (Schiit), and didn't notice much difference. Guess I just don't have the audio ears to appreciate the differences.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I'm certainly no audio connoisseur, but the sound I get from my Mac mini's 3.5mm output into my Beyer Dynamics DT 880 Pro headphones seems pretty good to me. I've tried DACs and amps in the past (Schiit), and didn't notice much difference. Guess I just don't have the audio ears to appreciate the differences.

Some sound cards do a decent job but all fall short of what a good DAC/Amp can do.

As for Schiit, ASR exposed how poor some of their equipment measured despite mfr claims. More recent models have reflected revised standards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
As for Schiit, ASR exposed how poor some of their equipment measured despite mfr claims. More recent models have reflected revised standards.

My Schiit stuff was more than 5 years ago. It was their basic model pair DAC and Amp.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
Bald1 thanks for the ASR link, there is a ton of good info on there.
After looking at that I'm thinking JDS Atom or Element or the Monoprice Monolith THX 887.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bald1 thanks for the ASR link, there is a ton of good info on there.
After looking at that I'm thinking JDS Atom or Element or the Monoprice Monolith THX 887.

Good deal. Your "short list" has all very worthy choices. Keep in mind the Element is a combo amp/DAC whereas the others are just amps although the 887 has added balanced input too.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:

I bought a small portable headphone amp and it had a hum in it from the gitgo. So the next time around I purchased a la-422058939293&psc=1" target="_blank"> tube amp from SMSL and I love it.

I ordered this one last Wed - got it Fri. Listened to it for a few hours Fri and again yesterday. I'm impressed. I have Senn HD205 headphones that are nowhere near broken-in and obviously the hp amp isn't broken-in - but the music was VERY easy to listen to. Smooth and NO noise from the amp what so ever. Can't wait until the cans and amp are broken-in, should be nice synergy.

Does it sound like Adele is in the room with me? No. But it was $60 so......

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1362 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Another one to consider?

https://www.audiosciencereview...-another-champ.9438/

https://geshelli.com/
https://geshelli.com/shop?olsP...86-98b2-18f72ae911bf

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
My JDS Labs Element showed up today so we'll see how that sounds.

I might have to get one of those SMSL tube amps from the second post as well, tubes have always intrigued me and McIntosh tubes for my main system would be way too expensive Smile

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
My CMOY has always worked great. Could throw tsa agents for a loop though lol. They can drive any headphones with ease (Grados including RS1).

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

Eek Eek I just bought the Schiit "stack" (the Magni amp and Modi DAC) to run my Sennheiser 660s based on my son's recommendation (he spends a lot of time on Head-Fi. But, I have to say I've been pretty happy with them.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:

Eek Eek I just bought the Schiit "stack" (the Magni amp and Modi DAC) to run my Sennheiser 660s based on my son's recommendation (he spends a lot of time on Head-Fi. But, I have to say I've been pretty happy with them.

Was that the Modi 3 you bought? I had the Modi 1 which was crap. Modi 2 was better but apparently the Modi 3 is what the previous versions should have been.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

Was that the Modi 3 you bought?

I got the Schiit Modi 3 DAC and Magni 3 amp.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was that the Modi 3 you bought? I had the Modi 1 which was crap. Modi 2 was better but apparently the Modi 3 is what the previous versions should have been.

I had the model 1 as well, and it soured me on Schiit. I have since just used the 3.5mm ports, first on a Mac Pro (trashcan), and currently on a Macmini 2018. Both of those are more than adequate for my mediocre audio differentiation ability, and paired with my BeyerDynamics DT880-Pros, they give me plenty of listening pleasure.

When in doubt, mumble