SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Masters of the Air, another WWII series from Hanks and Spielberg
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Masters of the Air, another WWII series from Hanks and Spielberg Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
There has been a lot of Facebook chatter recently about a full (or nearly so) size replica R/C B17 seen on the ground at an airfield in England which is apparently connected to this series. The setting for the series is Thorpe Abbotts which was an airfield of the 8th AF and the home field of 'The Bloody 100th'. Filming is taking place near Abingdon, Oxfordshire.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Now Tom Hanks has won WW2 on the land, sea & Air

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hound Dog; check out WW2 film "Hacksaw Ridge", also by Mel Gibson.

Posts: 309 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
(though, I haven't seen Greyhound yet).

You definitely should see it. There's very little fluff--only the flashback scenes with Hanks and Shue.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
(Almost)full size replicas at Abingdon Airfield yesterday:

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sacramento Johnson:
Hound Dog; check out WW2 film "Hacksaw Ridge", also by Mel Gibson.

Ok, yes, I did see that one, and I really enjoyed it.

Vince Vaughn as the Sgt/Drill instructor was a bad casting choice, but other than that, it was good.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding Greyhound. What was the point of the scenes with Elizabeth Shue? To explain how he got his slippers? It was like he was paying her back a favor by putting her scenes in. They had no point. We get to see him shot down by his “love” interest? More like a tepid like interest. I’ve never made a movie but even I know they could/should have cut those scenes.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
While I'm bummed its yet another WWII series in the European theater, I'm pleased that its coming from the Spielberg/Hanks duo, as they largely have a knack for doing this genre and period right.

I'm totally in for this one, but at the same time....It's like they've never heard of Torch or Anzio. I realize they did the Pacific, but it's annoying they are so micro focused on what are (for lack of a better term) the "famous" parts/units of the war.

You and I might want to see more obscure parts of history, but we aren't the target market. That is the hundreds of thousands who don't know much more about WWII than it had Nazis in it, and the Americans and British beat them. And Pearl Harbor and nukes in Japan. They have to draw that crew in.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:

This time around, the source material comes from historian Donald Miller's book of the same name.

How is this book? Anyone read it?

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Interview with the author. Release date of the series and a documentary should be in 2022.

Posts: 11158 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope its a decent flick, since I have done a lot of reading on the 8th AF in WWII. But it will have to be heavily CGI. And bad CGI is not just bad, its awful. I watched a Spectrum Original series called Joe Pickett that a cringe worthy CGI Elk herd!
I hope its all done right and pays tribute to the 8th AF.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Regarding Greyhound. What was the point of the scenes with Elizabeth Shue? To explain how he got his slippers? It was like he was paying her back a favor by putting her scenes in. They had no point. We get to see him shot down by his “love” interest? More like a tepid like interest. I’ve never made a movie but even I know they could/should have cut those scenes.

It's based on the book The Good Shepherd whose protagonist (also named Krause) had his wife leave him due to his devotion to duty. I think in Greyhound it's to show she was uncertain he'd survive the Atlantic crossing. As I recall, in addition to the slippers, did she not also give him a little wind-up toy destroyer?

Pretty good flick. I enjoyed it.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has all the cast members, and I do not recognize one single name or face:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2640044/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

For me that's a good thing, it's easier to think of it as "real." When BOB came out all those actors were unknowns to me, I prefer that.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I have what is probably a dumb question, but can you watch Apple TV+ on a PC with Win 10?

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read a fair amount on the Mighty Eighth, and I'd love for this to be done well. At this point, I'll try to be cuatiously optimistic.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post