SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    How to land the space shuttle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to land the space shuttle Login/Join 
Picture of PakRatJR
posted
A entertaining explanation on what it took to land the shuttle Cool Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb4prVsXkZU

Posts: 483 | Location: Sussex WI | Registered: April 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Physics is cool.

Posts: 20065 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
yes. way cool video. thanks

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
awesome.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very good! Thanks for posting.....

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 726 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine being the first crew to make that landing and the trust you'd need to have for the physicists and mathematician's calculations. Major pucker factor right there. That first crew had brass balls the size of a house. Eek

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Very cool indeed.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
They did landing tests in 1977 by dropping it from a plane. It's just a big glider

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
This popped up in my YouTube recommended videos a while back, entertaining & informational.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15249 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
It's just a big glider

Except it glides like a brick. Wink

Posts: 20065 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Very good video - very entertaining. Thanks for posting!

The use of angle of bank, speed brakes, etc. to control rate of descent and airspeed are very similar to a throttle stuck at high power approach in the A-4 Skyhawk.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6721 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
They just need to add brakes to the shuttle. DUH! Razz

Posts: 5754 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If I had to choose between the space shuttle or Air Canada Flight 143, The shuttle. Easy peasy. Big Grin

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
If I had to choose between the space shuttle or Air Canada Flight 143, The shuttle. Easy peasy. Big Grin

Eek
Had to look it up, knew it by it's nickname.
I imagine a 767 makes a better glider than the Shuttle.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15249 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
That was great!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Cool video.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

Eek
Had to look it up, knew it by it's nickname.
I imagine a 767 makes a better glider than the Shuttle.

Yup, but the shuttle guys had extra luxuries such as instrumentation, controls that worked, a known place to set the bird down, etc...

I wouldn't be able to land one in the Hudson River either. Wink

Posts: 9138 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
If you want to try for yourself, you need to try this sim: F-Sim Shuttle http://f-sim.com/ I have had it on my iphone and Kindle for years.

The flight model is great, and the audio actually was taken from the flight in that video.

The program is fun in that you can also perform numerous full HAC approaches at either Edwards or Kennedy, day or night, with fully adjustable weather variables (short of rain). You can also fly with failures of guidance, HUD, hydraulics, etc. The quick flight option starts you straight in at 10,000'.

I highly recommend it!

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I remember watching the first shuttle landing from space. John Young was the command pilot. He put his wheels down on the runway at the exact spot marked in black. Guidance help or not, fly-by-wire or not, extremely impressive!

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post