SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Blue Ruin - Movie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Ruin - Movie Login/Join 
Back in Black
posted
Maybe I am late to the party, but I just watched this last night with my wife on Netflix and it was very well done. It was basically the opposite of a John Wick type of movie. Nice change of pace.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Those "Lab of Madness" guys, mostly Jeremy Saulnier and Macon Blair, do good work. They've got a good feel for off-beat suspense dramas peppered with random sporadic acts of violence that spiral unpredictably out of control. Their hilarious earlier film Murder Party is available on Netflix, about a poor parking officer held captive by a bunch of flaky art students at an underground warehouse Halloween/art party.

Also available on Netflix from those guys are the films:

-Green Room where a bunch of punk rockers find themselves under attack by neo-Nazis in Oregon,

-Hold the Dark, with Jeffrey Wright investigating missing children who may or may not have been abducted by wolves in the Alaskan wilderness,

-and Macon Blair's own I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore, with Melanie Lynskey teaming up with her insane neighbor Elijah Wood to track down her items stolen in a burglary.

I've found all these films enjoyable. I dig their work.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I didn’t know they did all those. I’ll have to check out the ones I haven’t seen. Green Room was really good.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Based on this thread, I watched it last night. It was very good. More realistic version of Joe Blow goes on a revenge spree.

Still some suspension of disbelief moments, but overall, well done.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
It took me at least 30 minutes to convince myself I had seen blue ruin previously. That far in, I watched it twice. A day later, I pulled up Hold the Dark, got smart and hit fast forward. In less than two minutes, I knew I had seen it and bailed out. Then I moved on to The Green Room. It was fun to see the darker side of Pickard. At some point, I'll probably watch the other one mentioned. Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
Yes, Blue Ruin is a very well made and underrated film. I haven’t seen it since it came to DVD and forgot about it. I’ll have to watch it again.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post