SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Blue on Black Remake: never thought I would say Five Finger Death Punch is too soft
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue on Black Remake: never thought I would say Five Finger Death Punch is too soft Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Great song by Kenny Wayne Shepherd. The intro hits right away and I can’t help but but rock my head to the beat.

FFDP just doesn’t do it for me. Too soft.
https://youtu.be/IMCfSjF_vSg

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it's pretty good.
A slight diversion from their norm. I don't think this is their new direction in music, and the (majority) of their upcoming stuff will be back to the harder side.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Just heard it for the first time today and thought it was okay. I still prefer Kenny Wayne Shepherd’s version.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
never thought I would say Five Finger Death Punch is too soft

Are they ever heavy?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
While I prefer the KWS and Noah Hunt version this is quite tasty.

I enjoy the remakes that FFDP does over their usual sound. Doesn't sound like a walrus gargling.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Played 5FDP all the time. Bought their 7th album and had to make sure nobody swapped the records before I bought it. Confused

Ages ago I had the same thing happen with Metallica's Load as well as Robert Miles. Whenever I'm in the mood to want to turn up LSO, I want to hear LSO.

5FDP 7 isn't bad music, but it just doesn't seem like 5FDP either...

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The band, 5FDP is right-thinking on a lot of issues and has performed for the U.S. military on a number of occasions, and supports veteran’s causes after they get out, so I like them—personally. This cover is not as good as KWS’s original.

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Played 5FDP all the time. Bought their 7th album and had to make sure nobody swapped the records before I bought it. Confused

Ages ago I had the same thing happen with Metallica's Load as well as Robert Miles. Whenever I'm in the mood to want to turn up LSO, I want to hear LSO.

5FDP 7 isn't bad music, but it just doesn't seem like 5FDP either...

Robert Miles Dreamland is really the only album I know and listen to. Awesome music to fall asleep to.
When or what about his music changed?

————————————————

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I gotta say, it’s a pretty decent rock version of the song. It’s more or less a more impassioned version, faithful to the original. I mean, if you wanted it transposed down a few keys with some half-time breakdowns and vocal fry, that could be done, but I’m not sure it be something they’d get clicks and airplay with.

I love heavier stuff than probably most on this forum, and I’m gonna give this one a thumbs up.

@92lx: Early Zao, Living Sacrifice, Project 86, Thousand Foot Krutch. Old school Cornerstone era Solidstate and Tooth and Nail fan. I can legit “Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest” Dan Weyandt, no joke, did it for years with my band. That’s just getting getting into that genre of metal. Where you at? Big Grin

Posts: 17120 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I gotta say, it’s a pretty decent rock version of the song. It’s more or less a more impassioned version, faithful to the original. I mean, if you wanted it transposed down a few keys with some half-time breakdowns and vocal fry, that could be done, but I’m not sure it be something they’d get clicks and airplay with.

I love heavier stuff than probably most on this forum, and I’m gonna give this one a thumbs up.

@92lx: Early Zao, Living Sacrifice, Project 86, Thousand Foot Krutch. Old school Cornerstone era Solidstate and Tooth and Nail fan. I can legit “Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest” Dan Weyandt, no joke, did it for years with my band. That’s just getting getting into that genre of metal. Where you at? Big Grin

My post may read poorly as a knock on FFDP as a whole it is not meant to. The thing that I love about KWS Blue on Black is that immediate first guitar chord hit. Just sets the stage to keep your head going for the song.

The FFDP song does not give me that initial hit though that could be partially due to fact that you have that slow intro to the bar before the song actually starts. I have not listened to it outside of the YouTube video posted.

As to where I am at? I have seen all those bands live and can add Undroath and Stavesacre, to the live list. Never did get around to seeing the the Virgin Black or Strongarm. Strongarm did not have much of a lengthy run and I never made it to Cornerstone so never got the pleasure to see them live. Even though Advent of a Miracle is likely my number one all time go to heavy song and likely always will be.

I was never in a band though as about all I can play is the radio.

————————————————

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Don’t take that as a chest-thumpy callout. More a recognition. Smile

Underoath and Strongarm are among my very favorites. “Advent of a Miracle” is perhaps one of my very favorite albums that I haven’t listened to in far too long now. I found the empty CD case the other day, and could only shake my head.

Posts: 17120 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I not a fan of all of their music, although I didn't think their version of this song was too bad. I do however like their tastes in vault doors (and firearms). Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
5FDP goes back to the well 'til it's dry, they started in Vegas - do you really expect them to have substance? After 'Bad Company', they knew they had to have a cover on every album. Blue on Black & Gone Away are good covers, but depressing that they didn't let Ivan just unload. I was really excited for Gone Away - expected them to speed it up even more. Dammit.

They put on a good show live (seen them twice, once just after 'way of the fist' came out & only song I knew was the bleeding & after got your six came out, had tickets for LtL this year that got flooded out). After American Capitalist, I think their albums are all the same songs, just slightly rewashed + different cover.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
Godsmack covered Rocky Mountain Way.
I like what FFDP did. KWS did it better though.
https://youtu.be/_CRWKTguxNQ

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Eww, Double Plus Gross.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
5FDP is a great band, that saloon he pulls up to is the Pioneer Saloon south of Las Vegas, been there on a motorcycle trip, it's a cool place.

http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

Still prefer Kenny Wayne Shepherd's version

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEqX5CWh7tY

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Kenny Wayne was raised and groomed his entire life by his radio-DJ dad to nail the SRV thing, barely different from boy bands and such in the "manufactured artist" or "helicopter mom" sense, and to his credit - he does that thing well. He is, without a doubt, an excellent guitarist, at least in the blues rock style, and he's an OK enough guy, too (we're acquainted and have hung out and have mutual friends, but we aren't close in any real sense).

But he never really was good enough or interesting enough to treat it like they do - as the "Kenny Wayne Shephard" Band, because as good as he is - he's definitely no SRV (nor is his band anywhere near Double Trouble talent) or Warren Haynes or Josh Smith or David Gilmour or a bunch of others who can rip it up on the guitar and who are also good vocalists, writers, arrangers, and so on, and that part (the "me me me" moniker part, for "just" a guitarist) has always been awkward, and it costs him, too, in various ways.

And one of those ways is how the rest of the band are basically just hired guns, and subservient hired guns at that, which is a different dynamic than equal collaborators when it comes to writing great music, and the lyrics to this damn song is one of those weird things that came as a result. They're shit lyrics, with a shit metaphor, written by less than ideal writers, surrounded by an otherwise cool and catchy tune, and marketed to hell and back by a career insider in the radio industry (his dad), and it worked too... just like it did for Brittany Spears and the like.

So, yeah, I've come to nearly hate this damn song, as much for its reminder of what could be and could've been (had they taken a different, less ego driven, route with the band) as well as the faults of the song itself. It's trite pop shite in a cool sounding package, like most bad but catchy pop music, and oddly enough shares lots in common with the criticisms voiced in the Country thread going on right now.

And FFDP is alright by me, but I didn't care for this cover.

Anyway. This song sucks dong, and does him a disservice - ultimately.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post