SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    John Wick Changed Action Movies And You Barely Noticed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John Wick Changed Action Movies And You Barely Noticed Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi all,

I know there are lots of John Wick fans here like me, so I thought I'd share this insightful video I just found. Enjoy.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPTQlfPQo6o

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Saw this video last week. It's very insightful.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Thanks, nice vid.
Big John Wick fan - now I know why. Smile

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I love the John Wick movies, cant wait for #3 and the TV show

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
That’s an interesting take....also gave me some ideas for movies I need to track down and watch

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the action, too, but I have some concerns about safety. I don't see how some of the shots (both gun and camera) can be done without injuring the person being shot. Even blanks are dangerous within 10 feet or so, and many of the firings in John Wick movies are practically point blank. And they are done so fast that it doesn't seem to me that it is possible to use carefully planned diverted lines of fire to avoid hurting the person "shot". Does the shootee wear a vest? Would that be enough to satisfy the legal minds monitoring the filming?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
flashguy - they don't need to use blanks. The muzzle flashes are added in w/ CGI. That's also why the discharges show little-to-no recoil. The gun-fu happens so quickly and usually in low lighting, it's hard to tell, but I think sometimes the slides don't cycle, and no casings are ejected.

In the video the OP posted, at 3:08 is a short example of a shooting scene where they show actual filming w/o effects and post-production w/ CGI added.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
They don't need to use blanks. The muzzle flashes are added in w/ CGI. That's also why the discharges show little-to-no recoil.

Check out the amazingly badass movie The Raid: Redemption. There's a lot of gunplay in the beginning of that film. There are no working guns in the entire movie - they're all Airsoft and mock-ups with CGI gunfire and casings, sometimes with strobe lighting added to simulate flash reflections in the rooms and corridors.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of John Wick until recently when I was contacted to help them with some props.

Be on the look out for my stuff. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15695 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post