SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    We Were Soldiers

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We Were Soldiers Login/Join 
Picture of TMats
posted
I watched We Were Soldiers last night. Over the weekend DTV had all the premium channels free and I took the opportunity to record a number of movies; this among them.

The movie has been broadcast quite a few times since its release in 2002, and it's one of those that I'll catch in the middle and watch for awhile. I hadn't seen the original version in its entirety for quite awhile.

Incredible performances in the movie playing the lives and deaths of incredible men.

The video contains the lyrics of "Sgt. MacKenzie" from the soundtrack.

Posts: 6461 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
It is an excellent movie.

How is the book?

"A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly."

"When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone."

- Both by Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret.)

Posts: 5330 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:

How is the book?

The book is muck better. It covers the battles at both X-Ray and Albany, plus the artillery battery at, if I remember correctly, Falcon. There are a few inaccuracies in the movie, plus concentration on things that weren't concentrated on in the book. In my opinion, too much time was used on the wife thing, which was only glossed over in the book. The whole deal with Jack Geoghegan was never described in the book, though may have come out in research for the movie. Rick Rescola and his actions were totally ignored in the movie. The Lost Platoon was barely glossed over in the movie. There was no bayonet charge in real life. In the movie it was implied that they expected to get into a huge battle at Ia Drang, when in reality they got ambushed.

Read the book. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Posts: 7766 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize Braveheart 3 was that old, coulda sworn it came out much later than 2002.

quote:

How is the book?

It's dry. It has a whole lot more info, and covers a lot more, but it's very, very dry. Mostly, "this happened, then this, then that, which led to these things, resulting in bad times for the gang." It's a history of the battle, while the movie is just that, a movie. It tells a story, but takes some liberties for the sake of the story.

Could have really done without that cringe-inducing "Golly, why wont they let you wash your coloreds? That's silly!" scene though. We get it, it's 1965 and segregation is still a thing, now can we please stop focusing on the adventures of Mrs. Braveheart and Comrade Felicity, and get back to barbecuing Bolsheviks?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 15085 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
My company shows this movie at manager meetings as an example of how to lead from the front and not hide in an office.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

Posts: 13986 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
quote:

How is the book?

The book is muck better. It covers the battles at both X-Ray and Albany, plus the artillery battery at, if I remember correctly, Falcon. There are a few inaccuracies in the movie, plus concentration on things that weren't concentrated on in the book. In my opinion, too much time was used on the wife thing, which was only glossed over in the book. The whole deal with Jack Geoghegan was never described in the book, though may have come out in research for the movie. Rick Rescola and his actions were totally ignored in the movie. The Lost Platoon was barely glossed over in the movie. There was no bayonet charge in real life. In the movie it was implied that they expected to get into a huge battle at Ia Drang, when in reality they got ambushed.

Read the book. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Remind me to buy you a beer if we are ever in the same place. I agree with you 100%.

Posts: 3705 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
It’s a great book as is Stewart’s “Heart of a Soldier” about Rick Rescorla. I am reminded that I need to reread “We Were Soldiers Once, And Young,” I don’t recall many of the details outlined in this thread.

There were 3 Medals of Honor awarded as a result of Ia Drang. Then Maj. Bruce (Snakeshit) Crandall and Capt. Ed (Too Tall) Freeman both received the MOH. Platoon leader 2LT Walter Marm was awarded the MOH “for several examples of conspicuous gallantry, some despite being severely wounded.”

DSCs were awarded to LTC Hal Moore and SGT Ernie Savage, who directed “precise placement of supporting artillery” throughout the siege of “The Lost Platoon.”

2LT John Geogheghan was posthumously awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star, Purple Heart and Air Medal. He was killed when he rushed out to aid a fellow soldier, Willie Godbolt, who had been wounded. That scene was immortalized in the movie.

Posts: 6461 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I agree that the book was dry. Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. I just finished it last week.

The movie was excellent, but grossly misrepresented the facts. The movie ended with the decisive American charge into the VC HQ, ending with an unqualified US victory. It was a 'happy' ending. It was also pure fiction.

In reality, Moore's group pulled out, and as their replacements were marching to LZ Albany, they were ambushed in the jungle while we were strung out, cut off from mutual support, and most of the officers were separated from their men in a conference at the head of the column. We got got our butts handed to us, and the Vietnamese commander considered it a successful engagement. Many of the survivors from X-ray had to go back and fight at Albany.

That would not have made for good box office returns.

No arsenal is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.
Ronald Reagan

Posts: 19732 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't remember the book being that dry, but it was assigned reading as an infantry LT so for a book I "had" to read, it was pretty good! Wink

Darn good movie compared to most drivel coming out of Hollywood as well. I enjoyed it and don't care if it isn't in lock-step with the book. I get that movies really can't be and also be entertaining and fit the medium.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

The world's a dangerous place, we can help! http://portlandfirearmtraining.com/

Posts: 2844 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
BTW, Rick Rescorla died on 9/11/2001 in the collapse of WTC Tower 2 while trying to make sure people were ecacuated. He was the head of security for Morgan Stanley.

Posts: 7766 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they normally don't hand out a slew of MOHs / DSCs when stuff goes "right".

Posts: 36336 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post