SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Golf Cart amp/speaker etc install
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Golf Cart amp/speaker etc install Login/Join 
posted
My FIL has a 48v EZGO (IIRC) golf cart that I'd like to wire up for him to listen to IPOD music as totes his little dog around. I've installed a few stereos in vehicles, and have basic knowledge and tools needed. Wanted any advice you could give and or suggestions on the install. The amp is gonna be a 30x2 @ 4ohms pushing two left over Kenwood 6x9's in boxes.

After a little research, these are the items I believe are needed:
*A voltage reducer, like this one-
https://www.amazon.com/Holdwel...cart+voltage+reducer
*A blue tooth receiver, wired in to the amp-
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plus I'd like to wire the amp turn on into the key switch. Would that just be wiring the remote wire into the switch? Any help or ideas much appreciated.

Posts: 3594 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If he plays golf, please don't do it. Golfers driving around a nice quiet golf course, blaring annoying music are getting annoyingly common.

Most golfers like the quiet - the birds - the rustling of leaves. Not pop music.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Have you considered buying a Bluetooth speaker? No wires, no install, and your FIL can take it with him when he gets where he's going.

CNET review of Bluetooth speakers

This is assuming this is so your FIL can use the golfcart as a way to enjoy walking the dog, and not for actual golfing. In the latter case, I share jhe888's viewpoint.

Posts: 15028 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
Plus I'd like to wire the amp turn on into the key switch. Would that just be wiring the remote wire into the switch? Any help or ideas much appreciated.

Confirm voltage, but if it's 12V, just tie the turn on into the 'on' side of the switch.

Does it have headlights/etc? If so, it likely has a 12V circuit already, no clue if it would have enough amps available for your application, but worth a look.

I bought this for my mom's porch:
bluetooth amp

It has a 10A fuse built in (no way it's 150x2rms - probably more like 15-20Wrms. It is pyle we're talking about). It runs 2x 8" Polk in-ceiling speakers pretty good from a phone (usually pandora). I had the contractor put an outlet above the ceiling, plugged in a cheapo 30A AC/DC power supply & it has been idiot-proof for over a year (#1 consideration for a project like this...). It's designed for boats, so it's weatherproof & has the bluetooth/AUX built in already. No need for a receiver+amp. The round control module is easy to fit into a panel (I 3D Printed a box & screwed it to a post up high - no wires visible, nobody notices to fuck with it).

IIRC, carts have 4x12V batteries wired in series. If you just connect to 1 battery's + & -, you get 12V, not 24V (not sure what that does to the charging system, so google around. Maybe not good to discharge only 1 battery, I'm not sure if they'd balance)

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:

Confirm voltage, but if it's 12V, just tie the turn on into the 'on' side of the switch.

Does it have headlights/etc? If so, it likely has a 12V circuit already, no clue if it would have enough amps available for your application, but worth a look.

I bought this for my mom's porch:
bluetooth amp

It has a 10A fuse built in (no way it's 150x2rms - probably more like 15-20Wrms. It is pyle we're talking about). It runs 2x 8" Polk in-ceiling speakers pretty good from a phone (usually pandora). I had the contractor put an outlet above the ceiling, plugged in a cheapo 30A AC/DC power supply & it has been idiot-proof for over a year (#1 consideration for a project like this...). It's designed for boats, so it's weatherproof & has the bluetooth/AUX built in already. No need for a receiver+amp. The round control module is easy to fit into a panel (I 3D Printed a box & screwed it to a post up high - no wires visible, nobody notices to fuck with it).

IIRC, carts have 4x12V batteries wired in series. If you just connect to 1 battery's + & -, you get 12V, not 24V (not sure what that does to the charging system, so google around. Maybe not good to discharge only 1 battery, I'm not sure if they'd balance)

Thanks for the info, it's just a dog toter, work cart. No golfing involved. Not sure if it has lights, but that would be a good upgrade also.

Posts: 3594 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out this build for an EV, It's way more than just a stereo project, but he does get into the sound system as well.

EV Build

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of alexashik
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Have you considered buying a Bluetooth speaker? No wires, no install, and your FIL can take it with him when he gets where he's going.

CNET review of Bluetooth speakers

This is assuming this is so your FIL can use the golfcart as a way to enjoy walking the dog, and not for actual golfing. In the latter case, I share jhe888's viewpoint.

Does it have headlights/etc?

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
If he plays golf, please don't do it. Golfers driving around a nice quiet golf course, blaring annoying music are getting annoyingly common.

Most golfers like the quiet - the birds - the rustling of leaves. Not pop music.

This.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Retirees in the Sun Cities and around Surprise AZ use golf carts simply for "get arounds", for short trips to the store, etc. They are street legal, properly equipped. Some are highly (and ridiculously) customized. They are as thick as ants at a picnic in some areas. I bet many of them are not golfers. Perhaps the OP's FIL falls into that category. I certainly agree with no speakers on the golf course, and I don't even play golf, but I've been on courses and I know how quiet is important to the players. I have a good set of bluetooth headphones that works well with the iPod Touch. I also use them with my Macs and Apple TV as well. If he is a golfer, that would be a good option.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Something like this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_...|[rank1]Up%20to%2060

Get one made for marine, ATV, motorcycle use. Much more resistant to moisture.

If the switch supports accessories in the on position, that would be good for the remote wire if it is 5-12v. As for the power source, does it have a dedicated 12v circuit with some decent power?

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It always annoyed me too when someone had a bunch of shit playing out in the course - didn't appreciate it at all.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Why rig the cart?

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YTizJcKUlE

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post