SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Anyone watch A Star is Born on HBO?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone watch A Star is Born on HBO? Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted
Watched last night and thought it was okay. It was up for numerous Academy Awards but can't remember how it fared. GaGa was pretty good pretty much nailing all of the vocals. However thw movie jumped too quickly with not much transition for their various situations. Bradley Cooper did a decent job but I did tire of seeing him drunk out of his mind.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I put it off for a long time as "just another remake".

I ended up really liking it despite the fact that I don't think Cooper is a very good actor. He played a drunk very well. Not as good as Jeff Bridges, but still good.

Definitely worth the watch.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I ended up really liking it despite the fact that I don't think Cooper is a very good actor. He played a drunk very well. Not as good as Jeff Bridges, but still good.

I'll admit that I haven't seen either version of the film in question, and I think Jeff Bridges is the better actor, but if you want to give Bradley Cooper a chance, check out Limitless. I don't want to spoil anything, but he's fairly dynamic in his lead role in that one.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not my cup of tea but my wife, who liked Bohemian Rhapsody (another one I passed on) said A Star is Born was a disappointment.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I loved it. It’s made me a lady Gaga fan.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Minus her meat dress, Gaga showed me she can actually sing.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Wife and I loved it.

Posts: 5098 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like Gaga's singing, but the movie was medium good.

One it is a remake - boring.

Two, it's emotional story makes it seem like a better movie than it actually is. As someone said, the script was lacking - the story didn't flow very smoothly. Maybe it was edited badly.

The acting was competent, but nothing spectacular. Again, the emotional content makes it easy to overlook the generally average performances.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It was alright. Nothing spectacular and not a bad film. Oscar worthy? No way. There was nothing that noteworthy about it for it to win anything out of what it did, the song. But even that is questionable. The Oscars used to get many things right with blatant misses every year. Some years worse than others. These days, it's a clusterfuck. Black Panther, a grown men in tights superho film getting nominated? Give me a fucking break. I'd say the same thing for Iron Man, Captain America, any of that shit. With the exception being, I though Dr. Strange should have won for effects. The film makers did a great job with that film with the cgi and deserve credit.

In recent years the film "Good Time" not getting a single nomination really bothered me. Best film I've seen in recent years. It's real hardcore, in a Kubrick sort of way but for them to omit it completely and a lot of the shit they have nominated and selected for wins is abysmal

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we had a thread a few months back about it

i thought it was entertaining - a quality re-make of a re-make of a re-make...

definitely worth a watch

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked it, did not love it. Lady Gaga obviously has a truly powerful voice and honestly, her acting was pretty solid.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
I liked it, did not love it. Lady Gaga obviously has a truly powerful voice and honestly, her acting was pretty solid.

I thought she was better than Bradley Cooper in a lot of ways. But I felt the same, liked it, did not love it. I was surprised how many people loved it after I watched it.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it. Thought it was a solid movie with good performances from the actors. Oscar worthy? I don't know about that, but it was good to me.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed it. My mom was a huge fan of the Barbara Streisand version so I was exposed to that one a ton as a kid, so I was definitely going to see this one

I thought Cooper’s performance was more nuanced than people gave him credit for, and that Gaga was really, really good. I actually think she is prettier without all the makeup, and we knew she could sing

I, of course, knew roughly how it would end, just like all the others.

Ot was a solid, entering movie, the music was good. Cooper and Gaga had obvious chemistry. I will watch it again

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I liked it. Decent music. Wasn’t a fan of the ending, but loved the first half.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post