SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    1953 MG TD advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1953 MG TD advice Login/Join 
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
If Lucas made weapons you couldn't start a war.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1083 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Late 70's I was restoring a '67 Triumph Bonneville. A friend of a friend had a shop that at one time was a dealer for them. Parts were hard to find for those early models.

Went to his shop, he was expecting me. After introductions we started talking about Triumph and BSA in general. We started making jokes about Lucas, oil leaks and swapping war stories about their unreliability. He said "Before we start looking for parts I have to show you my old Triumph sign."

So we go into the shop,sign is hanging from the ceiling. Five gallon pail underneath it, oil dripping from a corner of it. The transformer inside the sign has started to leak.

He then said "See, even their signs leak oil."

There was another shop in metro Detroit, Parts Galore. Parts for just about any bike, again this is in the late 70's. In an old supermarket if memory serves me correct. Anyhow, one of the girls is looking for what I needed and one of the counterguys walks by and said "You know I had a Triumph once and I got it to quit leaking oil, you know how?"

|I said to him "So you drained the oil out of it, right?" The look on his face was priceless, he said "You're the only one that didn't fall for that joke." I replied "Been riding Brits since '68, I know all the jokes." At that point I was on my fourth one plus maintaining my cousin's bike so it was not my first rodeo.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8067 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoots Flies
at Fifty Yards!
Picture of SuhlShooter
posted Hide Post
I own a 1950 TD that I have been doing a rolling restoration on. Post a few pictures, include engine number (tag mounted on side of engine), info from the "plates", close up of gauges, etc, and I will give you my opinion.

I have been active in my local club for a few years now, host car shows and drives.

If the car has been sitting for a long time, there will need to be a lot attention given to the gas tank and lines. The fuel pump might need to be re-built as well.

They are easy cars to work on, and run better the more often you drive them.

Once you get the engine to turn over, change the oil. Also, change the gear box oil, too.

Check the compression. A quick flat file, or emory cloth will go a long way on the points in the distro and the fuel pump.

My email is in my profile. I'll be glad to assist.

Posts: 3028 | Location: Hit the ground running in Moultrie, GA | Registered: July 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
MG = might go. A TD is not a car, it's a hobby. Wink

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies guys.
Last week Thursday evening the wife put it on Craigslist. Friday morning a guy called from Enterprise and asked if it was still there. The wife responded that it is and he said he was headed down to look at it. Turns out he lives in the same small neighborhood as her twin sister.
He told her it had really good bones and they reached an agreement. We got the title sent from the owner in Texas and the gentleman came back this week Tuesday to pick it up.
He has an MG A that he completely tore down and restored as well as an AC Cobra replica that he built. He has his own shop behind the house, including a lift. He sent pictures Tuesday night he was already into it.
Really nice guy. Retired ARMY aviator. Obviously has the means, the time and the ability to restore this car. Glad it went to a good home, plus we’ll be able to see it when we go up there.

Posts: 1202 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Yes, sounds like it went to a good home.
I must say following this thread and others on SF has kept me from pulling the trigger on buying a classic car—so far.
I still yearn to have a BMW 2002 roundie like my first new car in 1970; and of course an XK120 OTS, which I got a ride in when I was car-shopping as a college student. Got a VW bug instead. I can only imagine the state of rust that Jag would be in now had I bought it.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post