SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    1953 MG TD advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1953 MG TD advice Login/Join 
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted
The wife and I rescued a 1953 MG TD for a friend of ours as part of a divorce in order to dispose of (sell) it for her. The friend now lives in Texas and the car is now in our garage in Shalimar, FL.
Apparently the battery died in 1983 and the (now ex) husband parked it in the garage. My wife and I went up to Crestview and put it on a trailer and brought it home, via a short stop to clean it up. It was covered with 35 years of garage dust along with a few mud dauber nests.
Looking for advice on where to research what the value of this thing might be.
I need to pull the plugs and squirt some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders and then ,after some period of time, use the hand crank to see if the engine will roll over.
It seems to be in reasonable shape otherwise for a 65 year old car. Don't see any serious rust, no dents, etc.
Very simple looking car that looks like it comes apart pretty easily. Its all just bolted together.
Would be a good restoration project for someone with the time and money. I don't have the time and don't need to spend the money.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the run on paragraph, I promise when I typed it I had indents in.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Make sure you get some of this:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Here you go:

Hagerty Car Valuation Tools

Also suggest Hemmings.com, search for MG TD's and see what value people are asking for "project cars".

Posts: 18043 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
IF you put a battery in it for any reason check first. It might be positive ground, the Brits were famous for that.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take previous comments about the electrical system to heart. At one ignorant point in my life, a friend of mine and I went halfsies on a Sunbeam.
It would discharge sparks from under the dash as you were going down the road. Which was precursor to a total system failure and sometimes a small fire. I believe it was the only car I have ever had that actually hated me. Lucas parts are spawn of the devil!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Ah, Joseph Lucas, the Prince of Darkness. Can't beat those Lucas electrics! But I still love British motorcycles and sports cars.

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Old and original car might be a six volt system too.
Nice condition but not running for years maybe a 6–$12000 car. They are not that rare.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Check out the New England MG T Register - They have a chapter in Orlando. See the site - might contact the Chapter President and see what information he/she can provide. https://www.nemgtr.org/

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Memories... I helped my cousin recover one from a pasture in western NY State many long years ago.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
^^^ Ah, Joseph Lucas, the Prince of Darkness. Can't beat those Lucas electrics!

My first car was a 1953 MG-TD.

Lucas, the original anti-theft device. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Take previous comments about the electrical system to heart. At one ignorant point in my life, a friend of mine and I went halfsies on a Sunbeam.
It would discharge sparks from under the dash as you were going down the road. Which was precursor to a total system failure and sometimes a small fire. I believe it was the only car I have ever had that actually hated me. Lucas parts are spawn of the devil!

We used to say "Lucas hates motorcyclists" for good reason. I still have fond BSA memories of going into a corner on I-96 at about 75 or so and losing all my lighting. Headlight switch fell apart. M-76 outside of West Branch and the ammeter going open circuit and killing all electrical power to the bike. That one took me a while to figure it out. Or smoking the lighting circuit of the bike outside Ypsilanti late one night and having to make a cheater harness to get home at 2 A.M. in a apartment parking lot. Those and many more stories.

I stayed away from British cars but almost fell under the siren song of a late 50's Triumph a friend was selling. I came back to my senses though after helping fix wiring issues on it.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Sunbeam, If someone offers to sell you an Alpine, ask "is it a Tiger"? If it isn't, run fast, run far!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
^^^ Ah, Joseph Lucas, the Prince of Darkness. Can't beat those Lucas electrics!

My first car was a 1953 MG-TD.

Lucas, the original anti-theft device. Smile

Lol. Hadn't heard that one.

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Another benefit of an old British car, your garage floor will never rust.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Here you go:

Hagerty Car Valuation Tools

Also suggest Hemmings.com, search for MG TD's and see what value people are asking for "project cars".

I'm not sure you can search Hemmings for completed sales,
however Hemmings would be about the best to get some good references

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
Classic British vehicles--passion and penance.

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
"A Gentleman does not operate a motorcar after dark."

- Sir Joseph Lucas

Lucas Three Position Switch: Off Dim Flicker

The only Lucas product that doesn't suck: Vacuum cleaner.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't Lucas why the English drink their beer warm?

Posts: 2539 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beware of the "Tin Worm". Rust.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post