Find
Notify
Tools

Handmaid's Tale Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted
I jumped on the Black Friday deal and signed up for Hulu. I've heard so much about Handmaid's Tale I was eager to check it out. Not anything I thought it would be, and maybe I just Started watching when I was a bit tired, but it the first few episodes were not very entertaining and difficult to follow the story line. I'll stick with it a few more episodes as the show received rave reviews. What's the consensus on this program?

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
It took me a bit to get into it. Was tough to figure out the time period, as it seems so pilgrim-era, then they're running around with modern weapons & Mercedes G-wagens.

I don't recall how many episodes it took to really get into it for me. We haven't started the most recent season yet, finishing up another show or two first.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Good book. Good series.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
It’s a chick flick. They love it. Every woman I know loves it. It was written for them.

Once the GF figured out it did nothing for me she binged when I was not around. When we’re together we can watch the shows we both enjoy.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Feminist Erotica.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Was tough to figure out the time period, as it seems so pilgrim-era, then they're running around with modern weapons & Mercedes G-wagens.

It takes place in the future, after a war and environmental disaster causes the USA to disintegrate.

All I hear about it is that this is Trump's vision of America so I have zero interest in liberal fantasies.

Wasn't this a movie in the late 80's or early 90's? I recall seeing that.

Posts: 33791 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wasn't this a movie in the late 80's or early 90's? I recall seeing that.

The movie was released in 1990 and is based upon the 1985 book by Margaret Atwood. I like the show a lot, especially Elizabeth Moss.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I watched the first season, and like others, had to sit through the first couple of episodes to get a sense of the plot.

I'll say this: the writers haven't gone and mucked up the plot with side-switching characters and idiotic plot twists (I'm looking at YOU, Battlestar Galactica!). The ending is pretty much a straight path from A to B.

That said, I'm not that eager to watch season 2. I think maybe I've had enough.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
Feminist Erotica.

Big time. The Dykes and hard lefties that I know will chat about it, desperately trying to find analogies and parallels to current day issues. Roll Eyes

Posts: 14652 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

The Dykes and hard lefties that I know will chat about it, desperately trying to find analogies and parallels to current day issues. Roll Eyes

Oh they SO think that is what Donald Trump wants to implement if not for the "noble" and "valiant" Left holding him back.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Posts: 33791 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Gender Traitors!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8347 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I did 2 1/2 episodes and gave up. If I have to TRY to like something...forget it.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
4 episodes in over the past several weeks.

It's more disturbing and depressing than I generally consume for my free-time entertainment. May give it a go for first season and see from there.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12413 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Raising the [almost] dead.

Wife and I have watched six episodes between last night and tonight.

Talk about one wild and creepy series!!!!

Not at all what I expecting. Messed up story for a certain demographic of character!!!!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Talk about one wild and creepy series!!!!

It will sure ruin the fantasy of a “three way” for sure. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post