SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Old fishing lure experts needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old fishing lure experts needed Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted
Anything worth collecting in these.....?
Cleaning out some old tackle boxes I’ve picked up at yard sales, probably fish some these oldies unless they’re with more than a comparable new lure

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a nice collection
I can state for a fact that me and my dad have many of those same lures. I state it that way because last week when I was in Florida we were going through our old tackle boxes.

On the left side of the picture, from the top: my dad is having some pretty good luck with the second and third Rapala lures.

I never had any luck with hula poppers or jitterbugs no matter how many different styles and colors I tried.

I did have some luck with the small minnow (far side of picture 4th down from top), I usually caught small mouth in the Olentangy in Cols OH (this was years and years ago)

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I don't bass fish anymore , I'd make a display of a half dozen of those.

I'd fish them all if I were still fishing,

My brother in law used to brag all over the place about the lures that he purchased for two dollars and sold for $18.00 , on the inner net.
Roll Eyes

thats a very nice collection, I'd put them on a presentation board for the man cave.

( if you are gonna toss 'em , let me know)

but DON"T TOSS'EM

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Far left column, 3rd down, the jointed 'fish' with the red gill line. I don't know what it's called (Mirror-lure, maybe?) but I have one or two of those. I don't know how well they catch fish, but they look good in my tackle box (I think the reason many people buy lures anyway).

There are 3 Jitterbugs (oval green with black spots and the large metal shield up front). I have had a bit of success with catching largemouths on those. IIRC, they still sell them new. Those are best used to cast and drift, occasionally twitching the rod tip to make bubbles with the metal shield. They replicate frogs, of course.

Of course, you could always go on Ebay to see what they are selling for. Since you got them at garage sales, there won't be nostalgic connection to them. I have my father's old tackle box, and I might never use a single one of the lures in there. Some are quite old, but I keep it just like my dad left it, and open it up every year or so to reminisce. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
I’ll spot check some older ones on eBay, but unless there’s something worth like $50 it’s not worth the time to list and ship them

Oh yeah, I’m just getting started...

--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heh, resembles the contents my old green tackle box. Needs a couple of Daredevils.

Reminds me I need to go fishing.

Posts: 781 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seeing a couple of Lazy Ikes and a River Runt reminds me of fishing with my father...the good old days.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 810 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Any Millsite Tackle stuff there? Local company, was about two miles from here.

https://www.dl-online.com/spor...s-millsite-tackle-co

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

Looks like there are a couple similar to the ones in your link, unmarked or marking have worn off

--Riff Raff--

The Constable
posted Hide Post
You brought up a sore subject.

My FIL had a collection of new in box lures from the 50's and 60's when he was an avid fisherman. From small freshwater to big lures for Alaska.

He bought multiples of each style; different sizes and colors. All were well stored and in great shape.

After he passed the brother in law gave them ALL away to some local Boy Scout leaders. IF any of them found there way to any Scouts I'd be surprised.

I'd intended to list them on e bay for the Wifes Mom. He gave away a nice chunk of change.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

I have a couple of the Millsite lures here in north Texas. Whopper Stopper lures were made here and Bombers 30 miles west.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Those are all good lures, although I don't fish plugs all that often.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post