SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Favorite battle scenes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite battle scenes Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
The Arikara attack on the trappers' camp at the beginning of The Revenant.

Good one. It really showed how chaotic a battle can be by moving from one fighter's perspective to another.

For my contribution, I'll throw in Last of the Mohicans.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
The Arikara attack on the trappers' camp at the beginning of The Revenant.

Good one. It really showed how chaotic a battle can be by moving from one fighter's perspective to another.

There was one particular thing they did, and I may be reversing the sequence, but the camera was stationary, then suddenly seemed to be traveling with a horse and rider. It was cool. Only problem for me was it took me out of the scene and had me trying to figure out how they did it.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Mostly to avoid repeating a battle scene already posted, I’ll say the battle that opens “Gladiator,” the Roman Legion under Maximus against the barbarians in Gaul. “At my command, unleash Hell.”

ETA: The attempted re-creation of the Battle of Zama in the Roman Coliseum in the same movie.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Posts: 13257 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Pacific, battle of Tarawa, as Marines attack on foot across the airfield toward the dug in Japs.

A senseless decision IMO, as an air strike could have taken out the Japs.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
In Sanjuro (1962), Akira Kurosawa's sequel to Yojimbo, the final face off between Toshiro Mifune / Sanjuro and Tatsuya Nakadai \ Hanbei.

Yes! In that genre, but more recent, I would add the final battle scene from 13 Assassins.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
You may be referring to large battles but did not specify and technically a battle does not have to be large.
The opening scene in Le Pacte des loups (Brotherhood of the Wolf)
The rain and the cinematography make it an outstanding scene.
My understanding is the rain is a true rain storm and not production created.
Mani vs. about 6 or so French soldiers dressed as females.
Fantastic movie I have not seen in quite sometime.

Make sure you get the version that has the French DTS Audio Eek

I have the 3 Disc Special Edition DVD set.
I found an Asian import BluRay on Amazon so I snagged it. Be interesting to see if video quality is much better, same with DTS vs DTS HD.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Another “battle” (i.e. “fight scene”) would be the 8-minute long sword fight scene in “Scaramouche” between Stewart Granger and Mel Ferrer.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Some have been said before and worth mentioning again (Private Ryan, Gettysburg, LOTR, The Battle of Britain, We Were Soldiers, etc...) but I'll add the fight scenes from:

• Ready - Player One: MechaGodzilla v/s Gundams and the Iron Giant.

• End of Evangelion: Unit Two v/s Mass Production Models.

I'd like to include Braveheart, but the rubber wiggly axe just makes me lose it. Roll Eyes

•  
    Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Official Space Nerd
    Picture of Hound Dog
    posted Hide Post
    We Were Soldiers, especially when the US close air support came in and dropped napalm on the US lines. . . Many manly tears were shed watching that movie, and that scene got more than its share.

Midway, when the US dive bombers took out 3 Japanese carriers. There was a scene when aircrew on the 4th carrier (Hiryu) rush to the edge of the flight deck to behold 3 blazing carriers, with this great music score welling up. I imagine the looks on their faces approached what the real pilots' emotions must have been.

For Sci-fi, there were some great battles in Deep Space 9, especially season 6 and 7. FINALLY, after watching Star Trek for 30+ years, I got to see epic space battles.

Another sci-fi example is the scenes in the Battlestar Galactica reboot, especially in Razor (stand-alone movie that took place in the regular continuity of the weekly show) where they show the initial surprise attack. It was very powerfully done.

I have to admit that Brad Pitt did an excellent job in "Troy." He had a great screen presence.

The 2008 movie "The Red Baron" was outstanding. It was great to see the Fokkers and Camels flying around in realistic CGI dogfights (do NOT talk to me about 'Flyboys').

Fear God and Dread Nought
    Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Jack of All Trades,
    Master of Nothing
    Picture of 2000Z-71
    posted Hide Post
    Apocalypse Now, Hueys and Ride of the Valkyries.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oriental Redneck
    Picture of 12131
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
    What are your favorite battle scenes from movies?

Could be historical, sci fi, modern, whatever.

Lord of the Rings: the Two Towers comes to mind as its one huge battle and very well done...

Yes. And, equally outstanding is the battle of Minas Tirith, and more specifically, the Rohirrim charge sequence.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tgi-j56ueU

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    The final battle in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer television series. Spike was always one of my favorite characters, and it was nice to see his final redemption.

I'll also give the battle in Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered County an honorable mention, especially when the photon torpedo blasts through the Enterprise saucer. It was nice that they finally figured out space battles would happen in three dimensions.

------------------------------
    "They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
    - Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of pulicords
    posted Hide Post
    Steven Spielberg's "P51 Mustang-Cadillac of the Skies!" scene from the movie "Empire of the Sun" (1987). I swear I could almost smell what was happening there. Simply gorgeous.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Many.

I like the combat scenes in Zeppelin, air and ground action.

The sword fights between Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone in Robin Hood and Captain blood are very good.

Christopher Lee and Micheal York in the night fight in the 3 Musketeers. A lot of other good scenes in both movies in very good sword play.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
    It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of cjevans
    posted Hide Post
    The sword fights already mentioned.

And

Kingdom of Heaven
    Troy
    Hercules (Dwayne Johnson)
    Apocalypse Now - helo/beach assault
    Lone Survivor
    The Wild Geese
    Last of the Mohicans - Attack on the English Column
    Cold Mountain - Siege of Petersburg

#1? for me - Zulu

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
    Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fourth line skater
    Picture of goose5
    posted Hide Post
    For me its the last 20 minutes of a movie called The Final Option. SAS goodness in Britain. Great stuff.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Charmingly unsophisticated
    Picture of AllenInAR
    posted Hide Post
    Trying not to list ones already mentioned:

The ambush and subsequent breaking contact in "Tears of the Sun".

Benicio del Toro and Ryan Phillippe clearing the hotel in "Way of the Gun".

There are a couple of great scenes in the Korean movie "War of the Arrows".

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    The Pacific had some great ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuELGSeKM6Q

Band of Brothers - LT Ron Speirs takes over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6da9U6Xjd8

Fury

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x8yXtcFKg4

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Little ray
    of sunshine
    Picture of jhe888
    posted Hide Post
    Much of "Das Boot." The scene of running through the Straight of Gibralter is exciting, but the chilling scenes of being depth charged are even harder to watch.

And, on the LOTR's theme, I can't watch Eowyn fight the Ringwraith without getting teary.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    california
    tumbles into the sea
    posted Hide Post
    The Blue Max (1966) - dogfight scenes.

and Tora Tora Tora

no computers generated any graphics in the making of these scenes...

kind of reminds me of this...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: f2,

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post