SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Favorite battle scenes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite battle scenes Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
What are your favorite battle scenes from movies?

Could be historical, sci fi, modern, whatever.

Lord of the Rings: the Two Towers comes to mind as its one huge battle and very well done. Also Black Hawk Down.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Bridge at Ramagen, armoured assaults

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
The opening scene from Saving Private Ryan is, in my humble opinion, one of the most moving battle scenes ever done. Another excellent one is the Battle of Bastogne from Band of Brothers, which is as good as the Saving Private Ryan Normandy scene, if not better.

Posts: 1729 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Black Hawk Down

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a bunch but, this one stands out:
Band of Brothers, ep2 the mission to take out the gun emplacements at Brecourt. Lt Winters needs to win-over his men by proving to be a competent battle-field leader. That entire scene I much enjoyed due to the interaction of the various leadership principals, the general banter, the audio was tremendous, hearing the concussive blasts of the German artillery to the distinct sounds of the MG42s, M1919 machine guns, down to the cinematography and tracking shots the camera moved through. A very satisfying scene.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
The Longest Day (1962) - love that long harbor tracking shot.

13 Hours - that was the best Michael Bay film.

The SDF-1 vs. the Zentradi and the Meltrandi at the end of the theatrical Macross '84: Do You Remember Love? - gotta love those days of hand-painted cel animation. Gorgeous!

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
In Sanjuro (1962), Akira Kurosawa's sequel to Yojimbo, the final face off between Toshiro Mifune / Sanjuro and Tatsuya Nakadai \ Hanbei.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Battle of the Bastards (Game of Thrones) is a favorite of mine.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The scenes in The Pacific, Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan are some of the most realistic and intense.
They show it without glorifying anything, just show the horror in the most realistic way possible on a TV or movie screen.
The Pacific hits home with me most, having a father that served there, showing the horrible conditions that caused more injuries than just the combat itself. Similar in a way to the Bastagone scenes but the opposite end of the hazards of nature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-55y5DDpPIU

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
The opening scene in Star Wars where the Stormtroopers fight their way onto the rebel ship.

The first big battle (Sterling) in Braveheart.

The episode in Star Trek (TOS) where the Enterprise fights the Romulan Bird of Prey. Loved how it had an old WWII submarine movie feel to it (as it was meant to).

The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in Tora Tora Tora.

Henry Fonda (as LtCol. Thursday) getting overrun as the remains of his command make a last stand in the gully in Fort Apache (echoes of Custer)

The first real battle for Col. Shaw and his men in the woods, and the later assault on the Confederate fort in Glory

These are the ones that for some reason just really stand out off the top of my head.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The Arikara attack on the trappers' camp at the beginning of The Revenant.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
LOTR: ROTK - Battle of Pelennor Fields
GOT - Difficult to pick a favorite because so many of them are awesome.
Saving Private Ryan - opening and final battles

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
I really like the King Kong - T-Rex battle scene from Peter Jackson's King Kong movie.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3922 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sherman versus Panzers in Fury.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16072 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
“Men of Harlech” song in final assault scene in “Zulu”; such a stirring song that there ever was.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nQrE8vOM0ss

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black Sail season3, ep10.
The series is noted for it's brutal depiction of warfare in the age of iron, wood & sail: shattered limbs, splinters, etc...
This episode being a season finale has a lot of battles that stand out: amphibious assault by the British while engaged with pirates, ambush by pirates against the British and the pirate ships trading broadsides and overrunning the British fleet.

There's a lot to quibble and get into the weeds about the tactical and technical inaccuracies however the visual mayhem is stunning. The scale of the ship battle is very rarely seen today, if not ever, can't recall a movie/show that actually showed a full scale sailing ship battle.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The preceding are all good choices. I would add the final fight scene in Sword of Lancelot, a 1963 Cornell Wilde movie. For the time, the fight scenes were remarkably brutal and realistic. In the final scene, Lancelot and Mordred were hacking away at each other in a small grove, cleaving small trees as they did so, before Lancelot split Mordred from collar bone to floating ribs.

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Sherman versus Panzers in Fury.

I also enjoy the Tiger versus Shermans battle.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
basically all of Kurosawa's "Ran"...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always loved war movies.
Sgt York is one of my favorite, but the dying soldiers in that movie sucks.

I like 13 hours and The Wild Bunch battles.
"

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post