SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    1964 Movie - Fail Safe - with Henry Fonda
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1964 Movie - Fail Safe - with Henry Fonda Login/Join 
posted
One of the scariest and most well done thrillers ever made. Great cast. Besides Fonda as the President, it had Dan O'Herlihy, Walter Matthau, Frank Overton, Fritz Weaver, Dom Delouise and others. I happened to run into a copy of the novel at a used book store recently and picked it up. TCM shows the original movie occasionally, and I always try to catch it when it comes on. The movie does a great job of building suspense and tension. I remember seeing it as a kid in the sixties and thinking this is a lot scarier than any monster movie, because it could happen. Spoiler if you have never seen it - The final scene where the pilot who drops the nuke on New York and then commits suicide was devastating. Anyone else remember the first time you saw it?

Posts: 1052 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Although I wasn't aware that the movie was based on a novel I shouldn't be surprised.

Agreed, really suspenseful and well done movie, with an all-star cast... if memory serves me right, in addition to the cast members you mentioned I believe Martin Landau was also in it. (oops, a quick IMDB check shows I'm wrong...I've got an image of Martin Landau stuck in my memory from a movie or TV show from this time frame)

I only saw the movie for the first time I dunno, maybe 5 or 10 years ago...I'd really like to see it again...in fact it's probably worth having a copy in the collection.

There was another made-for-TV movie along the same lines as Fail Safe...at the time it came out at the end of the Cold War it had me riveted to the screen as a young man, but it would be interesting to watch it again today to see how it holds up.

By Dawn's Early Light

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Funny you should mention...I just rewatched By Dawn's Early Light (which stars Martin Landau as the President, which is how you got confused). It was an HBO Original Movie, one of the best they ever did. Heck, I may watch it again.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's something about black & white photography that makes this movie and others more real.

Another great cold war thriller is Seven Days in May (1964) with Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas.

Here's the storyline.

An unpopular U.S. President manages to get a nuclear disarmament treaty through the Senate, but finds that the nation is turning against him. Jiggs Casey, a Marine Colonel, finds evidence that General Scott, the wildly popular head of the Joint Chiefs and certain Presidential Candidate in 2 years is not planning to wait. Casey goes to the president with the information and a web of intrigue begins with each side unsure of who can be trusted.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
...Fonda as the President, it had Dan O'Herlihy, Walter Matthau, Frank Overton, Fritz Weaver, Dom Delouise and others.
and Larry Hagman, the interpreter.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
I've seen it numerous times. I think one of the most dramatic parts of the movie is when the wife of the rogue bomber pilot tries to convince him that the order to attack is a mistake. It would be a difficult decision - do you believe your wife of XX years or do you comply with the mission?

Another good cold war movie that I've enjoyed is The Bedford Incident with Richard Widmark and Sidney Poitier. I could imagine something like this incident being more likely to occur than something like Fail Safe.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6726 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Local tv station back in the 70's would show a double feature of Fail Safe and Dr. Strangelove.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seeing the Elephant Walk on a regular basis made Fail Safe a very hard hitting movie for me. By Dawns Early Light was too.
And an aftermath movie is good too: On The Beach.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I don't think I can underestimate the effect that the specter of nuclear annihilation had on baby boomers growing up in the 50's and 60's. That threat hung like a cloud over our collective mind. That'll color some thinking, history shows it did. But that's another story. Kinda.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:Another good cold war movie that I've enjoyed is The Bedford Incident with Richard Widmark and Sidney Poitier. I could imagine something like this incident being more likely to occur than something like Fail Safe.

IMO, "The Bedford Incident" an excellent choice.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our subs often played a dangerous game of cat and mouse with Soviet subs during the cold war.
Operation Holystone.
Very similar to the things depicted in The Bedford Incident.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
I've seen it numerous times. I think one of the most dramatic parts of the movie is when the wife of the rogue bomber pilot tries to convince him that the order to attack is a mistake. It would be a difficult decision - do you believe your wife of XX years or do you comply with the mission?

My favorite scene of the movie. So much happening at the same time. The plane has launched its air-to-airs straight up to draw away the risky nuke device; the wife is pleading with the pilot; in the background someone is calling out the altitude of the mussels, plus a voice can be heard telling the pilot not to believe her, that it's a trick; even the President is trying to sway the pilot. Great stuff.

Plus, IMO, the pilot had to try to complete his mission.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have never seen the movie, but did read the novel.

No Cold War nuclear apocalypse movie can hold a candle to "Dr. Strangelove," though. Sure, it is hilarious. But it is also chilling.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there was an actual lawsuit due to the similarities between Failsafe and Dr. Strangelove?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
...Fonda as the President, it had Dan O'Herlihy, Walter Matthau, Frank Overton, Fritz Weaver, Dom Delouise and others.
and Larry Hagman, the interpreter.

Great movie.

Glad you mentioned Larry Hagman. I thought the scenes with him and Fonda in the hot line room were terrific.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
No Cold War nuclear apocalypse movie can hold a candle to "Dr. Strangelove," though.

Why am I not surprised you would say this? Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The high-pitch whine you will hear is the phone melting in the ambassador's hand." Whoa!

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Wasn't there was an actual lawsuit due to the similarities between Failsafe and Dr. Strangelove?

When “Fail Safe” was published, there was a competing novel “Red Alert” published at the same time. Both novel used the same plot ending with the President sacrificing and American city. “Red Alert” had Atlantic City chosen.

The two novels were so similar that Peter George author of “Red Alert” sued and settled in an out of court settlement. “Red Alert” was about a SAC general that starts the war. The novel was the inspiration for “Dr. Strangelove.”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Alert_(novel)

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

Glad you mentioned Larry Hagman. I thought the scenes with him and Fonda in the hot line room were terrific.

Two great actors, just talking. This was real cinema.

Strangelove is great - hilarious and terrifying at the same time.

By Dawns Early Light was a good 80s version. It still remains great drama.

The Morning After still creaps me out. When I saw it in 1983, it convinced me I would never want to survive a nuclear war. The scene where the woman gives birth during the aftermath is still chilling. Also, where John Lithgow and Stephen Furst (he was Flounder from Animal House and Vir from Babylon 5) watched the missiles flying over the stadium, commenting on flight times, was great. Lithgow: "It will take them 30 minutes to reach their targets in Russia." Furst: "So will theirs.". .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

By Dawns Early Light was a good 80s version. It still remains great drama.

By Dawn's Early Light is an HBO original movie, aired in 1990 and set in 1991.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post