SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Old Sci-Fi Movie Help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Sci-Fi Movie Help Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I remember watching an old sci-fi movie as a kid in the mid 80's and it seemed like it was a little old even then, maybe from the early-mid 1970's?

It was like a sci-fi Rip Van Winkle story about a guy who was put into suspended animation underground but a war or accident happens and he gets buried and forgotten. Then he's rediscovered and reawakened like 300 years later and the society is much different, the US is gone after WWIII happened, etc.

There was some sort of fancy high speed subway/underground train in the movie that still worked apparently.

Anyone?

Posts: 33768 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Try looking thru this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ms_of_the_1980s#1980

Linky

Let us know what you find out.

Posts: 9034 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Gene Roddenberry's "Genesis II"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_II_(film)

(Never seen it. But I Googled 1970s movie suspended animation subway, and it was the first result, and hits all your plot points exactly.)

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Blast From the Past?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Blast From the Past?

Unless PASig has secretly invented a time machine, it'd be kinda tough for him to watch a 1999 movie in the mid-1980s. Big Grin

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Gene Roddenberry's "Genesis II"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_II_(film)

(Never seen it. But I Googled 1970s movie suspended animation subway, and it was the first result, and hits all your plot points exactly.)

Bingo! That's it.

Posts: 33768 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Gene Roddenberry story "Genesis II" was a pilot for a new show that never made the cut. They eventually re-worked the script and made a movie called "Planet Earth" in 1974 starring John Saxon. Interestingly, the lead character's name is Dylan Hunt and the basic premise would be used for the 1990's TV "Andromeda".

Genesis II trailer

Planet Earth trailer

Here's a little documentary about the two films.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
What’s funny about this thread is that someone asked for help finding this movie before. It must be an interesting movie.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post