SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Solo: A Star Wars Story
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solo: A Star Wars Story Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Han was never an evil man, but he was an orphan who grew up on the streets, and learned to rely on himself. He joined the Empire looking for something more, and found them to be a bunch of assholes, so he saved Chewie from slavery and left. Then he found himself an outlaw, working for Hutts and spice traders, but never an evil guy.

Original version has that his girlfriend was the one who led the Rogue One mission against his desires for her to stay the hell out of it all. Her being on a suicide mission further soured him on the Rebellion, and is also part of why he came back to save Luke and blow up the Death Star, to honor her.

So he wasn't evil, but he was a criminal and had no use for either side in the war. It was all the same to him.

But, of course Disney has shit on all of that canon so now I'm sure Han will be some nice guy hero type.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Han was never an evil man, but he was an orphan who grew up on the streets, and learned to rely on himself. He joined the Empire looking for something more, and found them to be a bunch of assholes, so he saved Chewie from slavery and left. Then he found himself an outlaw, working for Hutts and spice traders, but never an evil guy.

Original version has that his girlfriend was the one who led the Rogue One mission against his desires for her to stay the hell out of it all. Her being on a suicide mission further soured him on the Rebellion, and is also part of why he came back to save Luke and blow up the Death Star, to honor her.

So he wasn't evil, but he was a criminal and had no use for either side in the war. It was all the same to him.

But, of course Disney has shit on all of that canon so now I'm sure Han will be some nice guy hero type.

And I’m sure it will be overly multi-ethnic to appease all the millennial shit bags.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's a piece I did not know. Thanks for sharing that.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12315 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
And the Falcon was old when he got it, not shiny new. It's had many owners and many many modifications.

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh, you haven't heard, according to Rose, companies like Kaut Drive Yards, Icom, Corellian Engineering, and Siener Fleet Systems are the real enemies. Never mind some of them are keeping the rebellion er, resistance alive; nope they're all bad.

Posts: 14630 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

Oh, you haven't heard, according to Rose, companies like Kaut Drive Yards, Icom, Corellian Engineering, and Siener Fleet Systems are the real enemies. Never mind some of them are keeping the rebellion er, resistance alive; nope they're all bad.

Releasing space animals is where the real resistance is, cuz...

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9150 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the fight against global warming on Tatooine. All those sandcrawlers and landspeeders dumping greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere, turning the lush grasslands into barren deserts... Big Grin

Posts: 32486 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
And I’m sure it will be overly multi-ethnic to appease all the millennial shit bags.

Like, more Wookie, Sulustan, Hutt, Jawa, Gamorrean, Mon Calamari, Bothan, Twi'lek, Ugnaught and Tusken characters? That would suck.

Posts: 2412 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping they don't make the strong females the moral center of the universe and the dumb, sexist men submit to their superiority. I always thought of Han's character as something like Clint Eastwood's man with no name in the spaghetti western trilogy. Where he's not good or bad, he's just out to make money and take care of himself. This is an opportunity for greatness but I have zero faith that Disney pulled it off.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3522 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Here's the thing, gents. As long as Disney is making money from their lovable recreations of characters that conform to the gender fluid, eco-friendly, multi-sexual hipsters.........it will continue. Oh, I'm sure that once their profits take a big hit, they'll follow the NFL's handbook and try to go harder and faster, only to fail miserably.

Take the money out of their pockets, and this new wave hipster recreations will stop. But, as long as they can fill their movies with their tripe, and make shit loads of money, there is no reason for them to stop.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
I think it all looks great except for the actor playing Solo. Of course I'll be there opening night, hoping for the best though.

Great premise, but I agree: the guy playing Solo seems nothing like the character Ford brought to life.
Niles Solo?

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BansheeOne:
quote:

Like, more Wookie, Sulustan, Hutt, Jawa, Gamorrean, Mon Calamari, Bothan, Twi'lek, Ugnaught and Tusken characters? That would suck.

I’ll take more creatures over some Asian girl that can’t act to save her life. They’re just overdoing the ethnic deal and girl power, sorry bud. If you can’t cast it right then choose another path. This last one, oh my, that girl couldn’t act her way out of a paper bag. Or how about Poe doing a Verizon commercial in Star Wars. Maybe next film the characters will talk about their Star Wars social media app.

They’ve lost my business at the theater. I’ll watch their shit on disc when Netflix has it available. You have to make great film and they are not. They’re gaming the millenails for money.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

He didn't say multi-racial, he said multi-ethnic. I would be all for a new character of any of the alien races you've listed. What we're being given is a PC cast of sub-par actors just for the sake of making sure there's not a cast full of white people. Human being is a race, black or hispanic is an ethnicity.

But you knew that before you posted. If you want to be obtuse, that's fine, but at least be precise.

Posts: 17100 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
"Sub-par acting" is however neither a race nor ethnicity, so that obviously wasn't the beef either. Thus I still find it funny that people would complain about the mix of skin colors in human characters in a universe with a gazillion species of every imaginable shape, color and size. If you were really going PC on Star Wars, realistically you'd have to question why all the lead characters are human, except for Chewbacca and Yoda (well, and the droids). What color those humans are becomes an afterthought then. I'm sure that actors who exceed the capabilities of Hayden Christensen can be found in any shade.

Posts: 2412 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Geez. Watching the teaser, I kept waiting for the actor that had some passing resemblance to a young Harrison Ford. Then I realized, there isn't one.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
A little off-topic, but I'd like to see a story based around all the guys who mine and construct the equipment used by the Empire and Rebellion. I imagine entire planets are destroyed to gather enough resources to build Death Stars and Star Destroyers.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
A little off-topic, but I'd like to see a story based around all the guys who mine and construct the equipment used by the Empire and Rebellion. I imagine entire planets are destroyed to gather enough resources to build Death Stars and Star Destroyers.
And which they destroy willy nilly, like police cruisers, in the Blues Brothers. Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
quote:

He didn't say multi-racial, he said multi-ethnic. I would be all for a new character of any of the alien races you've listed. What we're being given is a PC cast of sub-par actors just for the sake of making sure there's not a cast full of white people. Human being is a race, black or hispanic is an ethnicity.

I think that's the crux of most everyone's complaints about casting and the questionable screenplay doesn't help it. It's one thing to cast multi-racial actors who have either important parts or, bit parts. Lando of course is central to TESB and the Solo movie. Finn's character looked promising in TFA but, then his character in TLJ was so poorly written that it was reduced to comic relief and tokenism. Same for Rose Tico...her role was non-essential to the movie despite the amount of lines and screen time she received. I like the actress but, what she got and how she was used, made her role pointless and thus reinforced the image that this movie was on a SJW equality-rampage.

Posts: 14630 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

According to original canon this was the reason the Death Star laser tech was invented, originally to crack open plants or large moons, asteroids, etc and get at the resources in the core. Then the Empire realized it had much better military uses, like blowing up Alderaan.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Here's the thing, gents. As long as Disney is making money from their lovable recreations of characters that conform to the gender fluid, eco-friendly, multi-sexual hipsters.........it will continue. Oh, I'm sure that once their profits take a big hit, they'll follow the NFL's handbook and try to go harder and faster, only to fail miserably.

Take the money out of their pockets, and this new wave hipster recreations will stop. But, as long as they can fill their movies with their tripe, and make shit loads of money, there is no reason for them to stop.

Yep, as long as people still go apeshit for Star Wars movies, they'll just keep cranking them out no matter how good or bad they are.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post