SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Solo: A Star Wars Story
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solo: A Star Wars Story Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
WTF was with the Train Heist in a Star Wars movie?

A train, dudes? A fucking train?

Also, quit casting super well known actors in these films. I like the acting work of Samuel Jackson and Oscar Issacs and Woody Fucking Harrelson and the Mother of Dragons and Laura Dern and the rest just fine, but they're too recognizable and it's distracting and unnecessary. It doesn't need famous actors with major chops, dialogue and emotional delivery isn't what Star Wars is about. Shoot some lasers, fly some ships, show some aliens and shut up about the rest. These wankers are screwing this up.

Well they had to steal something from the first shown episode of Firefly, aptly named The Train Job.

I thought the movie sucked big time. I thought the way Han and Chewy met was horrible (how the hell do you get a Wookie Life Debt for that???????). The only decent scenes were the card playing ones with Lando.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Finally saw this. Pretty poor film. Disney was trying to tie bows around origins. The plot and story was just stupid from the first frame until the last. Let’s rate the Disney Star Wars shall we?

The Force Awakens, C
Rogue One, B
The Last Jedi, F
Solo, D-

It ain’t Star Wars fatigue, it’s shit movie fatigue. Now they have JJ shooting IX, oh wow. His previous effort wasn’t that good. They need a bad ass writer and an even better director to rectify this. At this point they should start completely over. I hope in this next one, Rey, Finn, Kyle Ren, the whole lot dies. A new Sith Lord emerges and kills everyone. The End.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Finally saw this. Pretty poor film. Disney was trying to tie bows around origins. The plot and story was just stupid from the first frame until the last. Let’s rate the Disney Star Wars shall we?

The Force Awakens, C
Rogue One, B
The Last Jedi, F
Solo, D-

It ain’t Star Wars fatigue, it’s shit movie fatigue. Now they have JJ shooting IX, oh wow. His previous effort wasn’t that good. They need a bad ass writer and an even better director to rectify this. At this point they should start completely over. I hope in this next one, Rey, Finn, Kyle Ren, the whole lot dies. A new Sith Lord emerges and kills everyone. The End.

Maybe they should get the guy and group who wrote for Rebels. Overall, they had some great episodes and knew what to give the fans. Sometimes, like the Darth Maul/Obi Wan final duel, it wasn't what most fans were expecting but it was better the way it was done.

They can even kill off fan favorite characters by giving them a proper send off:

Yes Rebels and Clone Wars were animation but they wrote great stories which is what the fans want. Let me repeat this, fans want a good Star Wars story not some crappy Social Justice Warrior/Politically Correct shitfest. I have watched Clone Wars and Rebels twice now and will probably watch them again. I will watch the new Clone Wars series finale. I will not watch Solo or Last Jedi ever again.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
WTF, Darth Maul has real legs again in the Rebels series?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Just saw it (nephew rented it on Redbox).

SOOOO glad I didn't go to the theater for this one. It wasn't that 'bad,' per se, but it really wasn't 'good,' either. In that, It wasn't a film that would have left me wanting more.

I hated the stupid 'womens lib' droid. I was truly glad when it died.

The giant space monster getting sucked into the gravity well was just dumb. Reminded me of the really bad Green Lantern ending scene.

I'll agree with the poster above - A TRAIN HEIST? I even mentioned the Firefly episode "The Train Job" when that happened. Just dumb.

The characters just weren't that engaging. The guy that played Han was decent. They just didn't draw me in.

Overall, it was a 'meh' movie. I could be happy to never see it ever again, and I normally LOVE watching good movies over and over again.

Of course, it was loads better than Ep 8, but that really isn't saying much.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
WTF, Darth Maul has real legs again in the Rebels series?

The legs actually came out of the Clone Wars cartoon series. He fell down the shaft and used pure rage / dark side to cobble together an insanely creepy spider-like lower half. His brother found him and took him to someone else who basically repaired and replaced the legs with less creepy legs IIRC.

His run in Clone Wars was actually pretty good, IMO. His fight with Palpatine was pretty sweet.

The fight (SPOILERS):

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
So many haters. Confused

I liked Solo, but it took me a good half hour or so to convince my mind that this was a young Han Solo.

Loved the way young Lando called him "Haaaen" like Billy Dee Williams did. Loved hearing The Emperor's March tune as the Galactic Empire Army recruitment video was playing. Loved the shiny new Falcon.

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Solo was OK. I can see why some didn't like it though, but I enjoyed it.

I don't think there is a life debt anymore in this version. they are just friends. The life debt was never discussed in the movies, so it's no longer canon. I'm sure it's not PC anymore. The closest the movies got to bringing it up was Empire when Han tells Chewie to take care of Leia now.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I call these movies Adult Cartoons.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Millennial Star Wars.

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

The Force Awakens, C
Rogue One, B
The Last Jedi, F
Solo, D-

It ain’t Star Wars fatigue, it’s shit movie fatigue.

Accurate on all accounts.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I would have liked Solo more if it had been more or less the same movie but with new characters maybe with Lando as Donald Glover Owned it.

All in all I liked Solo a little less then Rogue but much more than TFW/TLJ. I just don’t think we needed a Han Solo origin. Would have been fun with new characters.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
https://www.hollywoodreporter....s-study-says-1148475

Wow... Even this is the fault of the Russians

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:

Maybe they should get the guy and group who wrote for Rebels.

Dave Filoni...who many have looked to as the lone savior to a failing franchise. A fan, aficionado and serious player within the SW universe. It's safe to say, had he been in-charge, things would be different - for the better.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
https://www.hollywoodreporter....s-study-says-1148475

Wow... Even this is the fault of the Russians

Hot garbage. It was just a terrible movie.

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
They have signed Kathleen Kennedy for three more years as head of Lucasfilm.

so there you have it, stick a fork in it.

posted Hide Post
I was pretty certain that Kennedy wouldn’t be replaced. Disney won’t back down from the SJW agenda, if anything they’ll double down on it and if the next film disappoints at the box office it’ll be the fault of Russian hackers.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
They have signed Kathleen Kennedy for three more years as head of Lucasfilm.

so there you have it, stick a fork in it.

Mad

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:

...some jack-hole in some dumb-ass sphincter of the galaxy will have a name like "Jetfaster" and he'll be showing off his anti-gravitation boots to his friends and one of them will say, "Hey dipshit, you're like some kind of sky walker, derp!" And then Anakin's great, great, great, great dildo grandpa will go, "Oh hey, that's a sweet name.. yeah!"

And then, because it's a lawless time way back then too, Jetfaster Assface will go down to the local constabulary, who all speak upper-crust British, and he'll say, "Hello chaps, I'd like to change my name from Jetfaster Assface to Jetfaster Skywalker!"

Fucking, "spolier alert" for Krike's sake, you fucking noob!!!

Now I don't want to go see that one when it releases since you ruinefied it an all. Mad Mad Mad

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, for the lack of anything to watch with the kids last night. 14.5-15.5-year-old kids. We all groaned an watched it on demand. It was not something any of us were really interested in. Yet we sucked it up and rented it.

I had such low expectations, as did my kids, that they actively put off watching this for months. They, die-hard Starwars fans, had no interest. We had all read the reviews, heard the reviews of it from friends.

I have rated the movies before best to most abysmal failure, This changes it a bit.

1)Empire
2)starwars
3) The clone wars (animated)
4) RTJ
5) PM
6) ATC
7) RO
8) Solo
9) ROTS
10) The ewok christmas special
11) TFA
12) TLJ

Now with adding the animated tv shows in

1 Empire
2 The clone wars tv
3 Starwars
4 Clone wars movie
5 Rebels
6 RTJ
7 PM
8 atc
9 ro
10 solo
11 ROTS
12 Ewok christmas
13 TFA
14 TLJ

IIRC i rated RO a c- or a D movie. Solo would almost have eeked out ahead of it, if the train job has not been in it. Lazy writing right there dropped it a notch.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post