SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Solo: A Star Wars Story
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solo: A Star Wars Story Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Surprised at the Rogue One feelings, I thought it was a great Star Wars movie.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

A couple of reasons.

First and foremost it was a dead story line. New characters, all dead. Start off with their adventures end with RO as movie 3. Build a bit of history, build the world. Nope Indroduce, hijinks kill them off. Fucked up.

Second, other than the damn robot, I could not have given 2 shits for any of the characters. I read the lead up book. Even then I just could not get into them. Forest whittickers character especially. It seems like every time someone calls for a distinctive voice, dramatic actor, that is not white they skip over many other worth while actors/actresses who can play these characters and end up choosing good ole forest. This time it was muh, not even a full meh.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:

A couple of reasons.

First and foremost it was a dead story line. New characters, all dead. Start off with their adventures end with RO as movie 3. Build a bit of history, build the world. Nope Indroduce, hijinks kill them off. Fucked up.

Second, other than the damn robot, I could not have given 2 shits for any of the characters. I read the lead up book. Even then I just could not get into them. Forest whittickers character especially. It seems like every time someone calls for a distinctive voice, dramatic actor, that is not white they skip over many other worth while actors/actresses who can play these characters and end up choosing good ole forest. This time it was muh, not even a full meh.

Fair enough. I enjoyed that they were new characters, but I can see your point

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Fucking, "spolier alert" for Krike's sake, you fucking noob!!!

Now I don't want to go see that one when it releases since you ruinefied it an all. Mad Mad Mad

Sorry Monkeyman. My emotions got the better of me.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

I loved Rogue One. It's the first recent Star Wars movie that actually brought me back to my youth when I watched the originals.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Balzé Halzé,

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Just finished rewatching Solo. I still think it's a great movie. Not nearly as good as Rogue One, certainly, but still a very entertaining movie.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it at the movies, but picked it up and watched it at home with the wife, on DVD and actually this time around thought it kinda sucked. Frown

The visuals are so washed out and dark blue or black, it made it hard to see a lot of the movie and I found myself bored and looking at my phone.

Starting to think this was a movie that really didn't need to be made.

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Starting to think this was a movie that really didn't need to be made.

This sums it up nicely. I could have never seen this movie, and I wouldn't have missed it. One of the main reasons I don't like prequels is because the don't carry the story forward. Rogue 1 was kind of neat, but I could've gone without seeing it, either.

I mean, I did NOT have to know what Darth Vader was like as a bratty 10 yr old or an angsty 18 yr old wuss. I didn't EVER wonder how Han got his last name. That was a question that never needed answering, but this movie made it out as if it were a "I am your father!" moment. I just didn't care.

Now, if they decide to start a NEW story, with new recurring characters, they might actually make good films.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
12 Ewok christmas
13 TFA
14 TLJ

Big Grin

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Just finished rewatching Solo. I still think it's a great movie. Not nearly as good as Rogue One, certainly, but still a very entertaining movie.

I know i am harsh on these two movies. c- and d. They were enjoyable. I don't consider them good movies though. Clearly the break off point for enjoyable to mind-numbingly stupid ends with solo in my book.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post