Solo: A Star Wars Story

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/5290043734

February 11, 2018, 04:49 PM
P220 Smudge
Solo: A Star Wars Story
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
Yep, as long as people still go apeshit for Star Wars movies[...].

They're rapidly solving that problem. The Last Jedi just about cured me.

February 11, 2018, 06:08 PM
Prefontaine
quote:
Originally posted by BansheeOne:
"Sub-par acting" is however neither a race nor ethnicity, so that obviously wasn't the beef either. Thus I still find it funny that people would complain about the mix of skin colors in human characters in a universe with a gazillion species of every imaginable shape, color and size. If you were really going PC on Star Wars, realistically you'd have to question why all the lead characters are human, except for Chewbacca and Yoda (well, and the droids). What color those humans are becomes an afterthought then. I'm sure that actors who exceed the capabilities of Hayden Christensen can be found in any shade.

Your argument is silly. It’s pretty crystal to many. Diversity, inclusion, etc, going on big time in current society. When they cram it up your ass in film it is obvious. Diversity now more important than quality or acting prowess.
Last set of films the straw that broke the camel’s back was Jar-Jar. This go around it’s some Asian girl. Sorry kid thems the breaks.

All 3 Disney films feature female leads, girl power yo! The first film under this ownership played it safe. Empire ship, droid with plans, to the desert we go! For the final act we blow up their “big gun”. Oh, how original. This last one was a diversity fest with shit dialogue, shit acting, shit directing, terrible story, I mean stick a fork in it. They killed Han Solo, and they even killed Luke Skywalker, way to kill off what made this into something people cared about. Carrie sadly passed on her own.

They’ve cured me, no more. This is Star Wars for millenials and they can have it. It’s for a new generation of people. A generation grown up with helicopter parents and everyone gets a trophy.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
February 11, 2018, 07:40 PM
jljones
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
"Sub-par acting" is however neither a race nor ethnicity, so that obviously wasn't the beef either. Thus I still find it funny that people would complain about the mix of skin colors in human characters in a universe with a gazillion species of every imaginable shape, color and size. If you were really going PC on Star Wars, realistically you'd have to question why all the lead characters are human, except for Chewbacca and Yoda (well, and the droids). What color those humans are becomes an afterthought then. I'm sure that actors who exceed the capabilities of Hayden Christensen can be found in any shade.

Your argument is silly. It’s pretty crystal to many. Diversity, inclusion, etc, going on big time in current society. When they cram it up your ass in film it is obvious. Diversity now more important than quality or acting prowess.
Last set of films the straw that broke the camel’s back was Jar-Jar. This go around it’s some Asian girl. Sorry kid thems the breaks.

All 3 Disney films feature female leads, girl power yo! The first film under this ownership played it safe. Empire ship, droid with plans, to the desert we go! For the final act we blow up their “big gun”. Oh, how original. This last one was a diversity fest with shit dialogue, shit acting, shit directing, terrible story, I mean stick a fork in it. They killed Han Solo, and they even killed Luke Skywalker, way to kill off what made this into something people cared about. Carrie sadly passed on her own.

They’ve cured me, no more. This is Star Wars for millenials and they can have it. It’s for a new generation of people. A generation grown up with helicopter parents and everyone gets a trophy.

I posted most of what you said, and deleted it. Denial, it's just not a river in Egypt anymore.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

February 11, 2018, 08:46 PM
P220 Smudge
quote:

I had missed your reply. I started to type out a full rebuttal and realized it was a complete waste of my time, because again, you're being obtuse.

I'm sure there's better WHITE actors than Hayden Christensen since Mark Hamill, the guy who's supposed to be his son in the movies, is about as fucking WHITE as it gets. Then we finally see Vader's face in RoTJ and holy shit! He's even more WHITE! Roll Eyes

I can't take you seriously if you want to argue this point THAT way.

February 11, 2018, 08:56 PM
Prefontaine
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

I posted most of what you said, and deleted it. Denial, it's just not a river in Egypt anymore.

All we can do is vote with our wallets.

February 12, 2018, 04:53 AM
BansheeOne
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I had missed your reply. I started to type out a full rebuttal and realized it was a complete waste of my time, because again, you're being obtuse.

I'm sure there's better WHITE actors than Hayden Christensen since Mark Hamill, the guy who's supposed to be his son in the movies, is about as fucking WHITE as it gets. Then we finally see Vader's face in RoTJ and holy shit! He's even more WHITE! Roll Eyes

I can't take you seriously if you want to argue this point THAT way.

I think you are misunderstanding me, maybe willfully. I didn't say Anakin Skywalker should have been played by a non-white actor for PC reasons. Everybody pretty much agreed that Hayden Christensen's acting sucked, but obviously nobody complained about his race (well, I suppose if you look long enough you'll find some Black Power types argueing that since Darth Vader was voiced by James Earl Jones, both he and Luke should have been black in the first place). But if the white lead actor sucks, why complain about the race of other suckers?

Not that I can think of many; neither Samuel L. Jackson nor John Boyega fall into that category, though I agree that Finn was written badly in TLJ. The Chinese guys in R1 were quite obviously due to Hollywood's pandering to the big Chinese market, but that didn't make them bad actors. In the end they were there for exactly the same reason that almost all SW lead characters are human - you want characters the mass audience can relate to for you to make the best possible profit of the movie. If you wanted to make a hardcore SF nerd movie, the original "Star Wars" characters would have been all-alien in that "Galaxy far, far away", with everybody talking in his own language; but that wouldn't have been mass-friendly, and SW was always about making money.

The recent overemphasis of female characters is indeed blatant (I also note that both the First Order and Resistance seem to be more equal-opportunity for female combattants now, though the bad guys' officer corps is still lilly-white while there are obviously various shades under the stormproopers' helmets, as seen in Finn). But again the actresses are not necessarily bad - the problem is more in writing bad leadership like by Admiral Holdo. And frankly, I don't get people's pre-occupation with having their political sensibilities offended by either a lack of or too many minorities in movies.
September 10, 2018, 09:21 PM
Veeper
I hadn't seen this movie until tonight. Wow. This thing is a piece of crap.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken
September 14, 2018, 08:04 AM
pedropcola
I hated Last Jedi. Hated everything. Hated the forced SJW bullshit, Rose, Adm prom dress, Mary Poppins, female power, male toxic masculinity, blah blah blah. I won’t give Disney any money for this destruction of my favorite movie franchise.

My friend has a Plex account and solo came on and I watched it. I liked it. I liked the actor, I liked that he shot first, I liked Chewie, I liked the movie overall.

This should scare Disney execs. If Last Jedi hadn’t alienated so many fans I think solo would have done great. I still won’t give Disney money for Star Wars. I refuse to beta test their social refashioning or bankroll it.
September 14, 2018, 10:12 AM
Lord Vaalic
quote:
If Last Jedi hadn’t alienated so many fans I think solo would have done great.

This 100%. SOLO had its issues, it wasn't as good as Rogue One in my opinion, but SOLO was still a fun Star Wars movie. Because of the steaming turd that was Last Jedi, and then Disney insulting all of their fans, I agree SOLO would have done much much better

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day
September 14, 2018, 11:55 AM
kx90
I really liked Solo. In fact I'll probably buy it on Blu-ray just because I'm an idiot for Star Wars like that.

But I'm not a big enough idiot to buy TLJ. When episode 9 hits the theaters I'll be sitting at home doing something else. And unless other true Star Wars fans are giving it high marks I will not waste the money to see it.
September 14, 2018, 12:56 PM
AirmanJeff
Remember how excited people were when Disney bought the star wars franchise. Nothing could be worse than episodes 1-3, right?! Disney's response - "hold my beer."
September 14, 2018, 01:05 PM
Prefontaine
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
Remember how excited people were when Disney bought the star wars franchise. Nothing could be worse than episodes 1-3, right?! Disney's response - "hold my beer."

LMAO.

September 14, 2018, 02:19 PM
rtquig
I watched it on a flight to Anchorage, I wasn't impressed at all.

Living the Dream
September 15, 2018, 02:57 PM
PR64
I watched it last night...

Enjoyed the movie and liked how it tied things together on how the characters met.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat
September 21, 2018, 08:21 AM
Lord Vaalic
https://www.theguardian.com/fi...back-production-solo

They just don't get it. It's hopless. It's not fucking franchise fatigue you assholes!

It's shit movie fatigue. Marvel pumps out two movies a year and makes a killing. Because they dont suck, they don't shit on the source material, and they give the fans what they want

September 21, 2018, 08:25 AM
Orguss
Your statement shows the irony that is Disney, since they own both Marvel and Star Wars. They can't just apply the winning strategy that Marvel uses to their Star Wars franchise. Oh well, perhaps it's for the best.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
September 21, 2018, 08:46 AM
Veeper
Solo was the dumbest movie about Star Wars that might, possibly, rival The Last Jedi for how bat-shit stupid it was.

Why was there a dumb ass train to move highly explosive things over dangerous terrain? In a world where space ships exist?

Why do they have to make his name have such a lame ass origin? Next, when they do Skywalker, because we need to know where the name came from obviously, some jack-hole in some dumb-ass sphincter of the galaxy will have a name like "Jetfaster" and he'll be showing off his anti-gravitation boots to his friends and one of them will say, "Hey dipshit, you're like some kind of sky walker, derp!" And then Anakin's great, great, great, great dildo grandpa will go, "Oh hey, that's a sweet name.. yeah!"

And then, because it's a lawless time way back then too, Jetfaster Assface will go down to the local constabulary, who all speak upper-crust British, and he'll say, "Hello chaps, I'd like to change my name from Jetfaster Assface to Jetfaster Skywalker!"

There. Now I've written the origins of the name Skywalker.

And speaking of origins of everything, why did they feel the need to ruin the Falcon? They gave the computer a hot-SJW injection, put an "escape pot" on the nose, and couldn't just leave the chess table alone? It's like they actually went out of their way to rub their brain byproduct, which is poop, on every little thing related to Han Solo. Did any of those stink hole writers even bother to open a technical manual? IIRC, the rounded pods on the sides of those designs ARE the escape pots.

GOOD LORD this movie pisses me off every time I think about it. They even managed to take all of the mythos that existed, both imagined and canonized, around Han and Chewie's friendship and turn it into a WB episode. "Next up on Hallmark Hall of Fame, some ridiculous crap we conjured up, in order to create the idea that we know what we're talking about.."

This was almost worse than TLJ. It's dog shit.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken
September 21, 2018, 10:21 AM
Lord Vaalic
Jetfaster Assface....

He deserves his own trilogy!!!!

September 21, 2018, 10:26 AM
corsair
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic: Because they dont suck, they don't shit on the source material, and they give the fans what they want

Peter Jackson followed the same manual when he put the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit stories on screen; so did David Benioff and DB Weiss when they put together Game of Thrones. YET, the Kennedy/Johnson/Abrams triumvirate thought they knew better... Roll Eyes
September 27, 2018, 11:13 AM
46and2
WTF was with the Train Heist in a Star Wars movie?

A train, dudes? A fucking train?

Also, quit casting super well known actors in these films. I like the acting work of Samuel Jackson and Oscar Issacs and Woody Fucking Harrelson and the Mother of Dragons and Laura Dern and the rest just fine, but they're too recognizable and it's distracting and unnecessary. It doesn't need famous actors with major chops, dialogue and emotional delivery isn't what Star Wars is about. Shoot some lasers, fly some ships, show some aliens and shut up about the rest. These wankers are screwing this up.