SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Favorite Beastie Boys Album
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Beastie Boys Album Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
Was listening to some Beastie Boys tonight. I forget how much I love them. I don't know how I didn't melt the License to Ill tape as a kid, as much as I played it in my Sony Walkman.

Question:
What is your favorite Album?

Choices:
Licensed to Ill
Paul's Boutique
Check Your Head
Hello Nasty
One of the newer ones.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
Paul's Boutique is one of the best rap albums of all time.

Hello Nasty is my second favorite of theirs.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll prob be in the minor but Check Your Head is my favorite. They are all great but from beginning to the end, it’s what I go to in my car or working in the garage. Paul’s Boutique is a close second.

Posts: 1662 | Location: NH | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
I didn't vote. I can't. I like them all. They each offer something that is so definitely Beastie!

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1073 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Anthology, but that's kinda cheating. Licensed to Ill was listened to more than any for me though.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Absolutely "Paul's Boutique."
This album opened my ears to rap as an acceptable musical form if done properly.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Each offers something, and they all had something great on them. One of my first albums was licence to I'll, I still listen to sabotage weekly in the car, and I was managing a record store and playing hello nasty when it came out. It is like picking a favorite child.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Licensed to Ill, always and forever.

But I also really love Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head, and Ill Communication a ton.

And, I could listen to The In Sound From Way Out and anything like it all damn day, too.

That said, the Sabotage video rules them all.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whichever one had Sabotage

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Paul's Boutique
Won it at some school lunch room scratch off thing in 7th grade!!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Love every one except the first. Big fan, seem them a number of times. "Good morning....time to get up and go to work....."

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paul's Boutique for sure, with Hello Nasty and Licensed to Ill tied for second.

I didn't think the 5 Boroughs album was terrible either even with the political bs.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Still sad, that MCA passed, and we didnt get that last almbum that was largely complete. RIP brother, you are missed.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
People love Pauls Boutique, and it is a really kick-butt hip hop album, but I like Check Yer Head better. Shake yer Rump is awesome, that fat sound the Dust Brothers made for it. And I still, for some reason, the chorus of 'Hey Ladies' always pops into my head. Even when I had only heard it a couple of times, it was stuck in the mental rolodex.

I loved Paul's Boutique, but I bought it AFTER I had a copy of Check Yer Head.

It represents a shift from the use of samples by DJs etc. due to the rulings as to how royalties were paid for use of samples/breaks. As such, the BBoys were compelled to rely far more upon their own music, with less reliance on breaks, more song writing in addition to their lyrics. And they kicked absolute ass, IMHO. Some hip-hop, some punk, it was perfect for the early 90's and something besides grunge.

So What'cha Want, Professor Booty, are classic tracks.

Ill Communication has some good stuff and was perfect for the timing of it. The whole mid-90's alternative scene, the retro appeal of the 70's, the video for Sabotage. I remember blasting Ill Communication's "Sure Shot" in the dorm of a lily white Lutheran college for training.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
Needs an "all of them" option...

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:
People love Pauls Boutique, and it is a really kick-butt hip hop album, but I like Check Yer Head better. Shake yer Rump is awesome, that fat sound the Dust Brothers made for it. And I still, for some reason, the chorus of 'Hey Ladies' always pops into my head. Even when I had only heard it a couple of times, it was stuck in the mental rolodex.

I loved Paul's Boutique, but I bought it AFTER I had a copy of Check Yer Head.

It represents a shift from the use of samples by DJs etc. due to the rulings as to how royalties were paid for use of samples/breaks. As such, the BBoys were compelled to rely far more upon their own music, with less reliance on breaks, more song writing in addition to their lyrics. And they kicked absolute ass, IMHO. Some hip-hop, some punk, it was perfect for the early 90's and something besides grunge.

So What'cha Want, Professor Booty, are classic tracks.

Ill Communication has some good stuff and was perfect for the timing of it. The whole mid-90's alternative scene, the retro appeal of the 70's, the video for Sabotage. I remember blasting Ill Communication's "Sure Shot" in the dorm of a lily white Lutheran college for training.

I agree (with all that).

Beyond Shake Your Rump and that earth shaking groove, I prefer Check Your Head, too.

And Ill Communication was huge when I was in college, too. The soundtrack of it, along with everything from the era. You couldn't get away from it. Thankfully I didn't mind.

I'm still always partial to the first album, though, and Paul Revere and the rest. I was raised on that, basically, it's so ingrained and intertwined with so many early memories.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Been listening to Paul's Boutique a lot recently. Especially this, probably one of my favorite songs. It's like six different songs in one, so kind of a cheat for favorite.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwGjVsCSOsU

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think MCA's a year and a day song on that final track is his best work. Really sucks he passed so young.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post