SIGforum
Favorite Beastie Boys Album

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/5250059234

November 09, 2017, 09:05 PM
Skins2881
Favorite Beastie Boys Album
Was listening to some Beastie Boys tonight. I forget how much I love them. I don't know how I didn't melt the License to Ill tape as a kid, as much as I played it in my Sony Walkman.What is your favorite Album?Licensed to IllPaul's BoutiqueCheck Your HeadHello NastyOne of the newer ones.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
November 09, 2017, 09:12 PM
g8rforester
Paul's Boutique is one of the best rap albums of all time.

Hello Nasty is my second favorite of theirs.
November 09, 2017, 09:18 PM
terra
I’ll prob be in the minor but Check Your Head is my favorite. They are all great but from beginning to the end, it’s what I go to in my car or working in the garage. Paul’s Boutique is a close second.
November 09, 2017, 09:19 PM
GarandGuy
I didn't vote. I can't. I like them all. They each offer something that is so definitely Beastie!

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?
November 09, 2017, 09:20 PM
Oz_Shadow
Anthology, but that's kinda cheating. Licensed to Ill was listened to more than any for me though.
November 10, 2017, 01:49 AM
agony
Absolutely "Paul's Boutique."
This album opened my ears to rap as an acceptable musical form if done properly.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"
November 10, 2017, 04:53 AM
280nosler
Each offers something, and they all had something great on them. One of my first albums was licence to I'll, I still listen to sabotage weekly in the car, and I was managing a record store and playing hello nasty when it came out. It is like picking a favorite child.
November 10, 2017, 09:28 AM
46and2
Licensed to Ill, always and forever.

But I also really love Paul's Boutique, Check Your Head, and Ill Communication a ton.

And, I could listen to The In Sound From Way Out and anything like it all damn day, too.

That said, the Sabotage video rules them all.
November 10, 2017, 12:45 PM
matai
Whichever one had Sabotage
November 10, 2017, 01:39 PM
Black92LX
Paul's Boutique
Won it at some school lunch room scratch off thing in 7th grade!!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
November 11, 2017, 04:56 AM
Prefontaine
Love every one except the first. Big fan, seem them a number of times. "Good morning....time to get up and go to work....."

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
November 13, 2017, 10:10 AM
AirmanJeff
Paul's Boutique for sure, with Hello Nasty and Licensed to Ill tied for second.

I didn't think the 5 Boroughs album was terrible either even with the political bs.
November 14, 2017, 09:49 AM
Prefontaine
Still sad, that MCA passed, and we didnt get that last almbum that was largely complete. RIP brother, you are missed.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
November 16, 2017, 07:12 PM
Echtermetzger
People love Pauls Boutique, and it is a really kick-butt hip hop album, but I like Check Yer Head better. Shake yer Rump is awesome, that fat sound the Dust Brothers made for it. And I still, for some reason, the chorus of 'Hey Ladies' always pops into my head. Even when I had only heard it a couple of times, it was stuck in the mental rolodex.

I loved Paul's Boutique, but I bought it AFTER I had a copy of Check Yer Head.

It represents a shift from the use of samples by DJs etc. due to the rulings as to how royalties were paid for use of samples/breaks. As such, the BBoys were compelled to rely far more upon their own music, with less reliance on breaks, more song writing in addition to their lyrics. And they kicked absolute ass, IMHO. Some hip-hop, some punk, it was perfect for the early 90's and something besides grunge.

So What'cha Want, Professor Booty, are classic tracks.

Ill Communication has some good stuff and was perfect for the timing of it. The whole mid-90's alternative scene, the retro appeal of the 70's, the video for Sabotage. I remember blasting Ill Communication's "Sure Shot" in the dorm of a lily white Lutheran college for training.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.
November 16, 2017, 08:13 PM
qxsoup
Needs an "all of them" option...

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

November 16, 2017, 11:08 PM
46and2
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:
People love Pauls Boutique, and it is a really kick-butt hip hop album, but I like Check Yer Head better. Shake yer Rump is awesome, that fat sound the Dust Brothers made for it. And I still, for some reason, the chorus of 'Hey Ladies' always pops into my head. Even when I had only heard it a couple of times, it was stuck in the mental rolodex.

I loved Paul's Boutique, but I bought it AFTER I had a copy of Check Yer Head.

It represents a shift from the use of samples by DJs etc. due to the rulings as to how royalties were paid for use of samples/breaks. As such, the BBoys were compelled to rely far more upon their own music, with less reliance on breaks, more song writing in addition to their lyrics. And they kicked absolute ass, IMHO. Some hip-hop, some punk, it was perfect for the early 90's and something besides grunge.

So What'cha Want, Professor Booty, are classic tracks.

Ill Communication has some good stuff and was perfect for the timing of it. The whole mid-90's alternative scene, the retro appeal of the 70's, the video for Sabotage. I remember blasting Ill Communication's "Sure Shot" in the dorm of a lily white Lutheran college for training.

I agree (with all that).

Beyond Shake Your Rump and that earth shaking groove, I prefer Check Your Head, too.

And Ill Communication was huge when I was in college, too. The soundtrack of it, along with everything from the era. You couldn't get away from it. Thankfully I didn't mind.

I'm still always partial to the first album, though, and Paul Revere and the rest. I was raised on that, basically, it's so ingrained and intertwined with so many early memories.
November 21, 2017, 10:02 PM
Skins2881
Been listening to Paul's Boutique a lot recently. Especially this, probably one of my favorite songs. It's like six different songs in one, so kind of a cheat for favorite.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwGjVsCSOsU

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
November 25, 2017, 04:09 PM
AirmanJeff
I think MCA's a year and a day song on that final track is his best work. Really sucks he passed so young.