SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bolero - calling Jim Shugart and Maestro...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolero - calling Jim Shugart and Maestro... Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted
Jim Shugart and Maestro...

What is your favorite youtube of Maurice Ravel's Bolero?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
This one may not be my favorite and it certainly isn't the best performance, it is pretty cool:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/IsF53JpBMlk

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
A music critic wrote:

“Repetition is an important element of music, but it can reach the point of excess. That point is reached near the end of Ravel’s “La Valse”. And near the beginning of Ravel’s “Bolero”.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8950 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one that sticks in my mind is Torvill and Dean's!

Posts: 2540 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
A music critic wrote:

“Repetition is an important element of music, but it can reach the point of excess. That point is reached near the end of Ravel’s “La Valse”. And near the beginning of Ravel’s “Bolero”.

Ravel's Bolero is the reason I've never listened to Ravel's Valse. It's like being stuck for all Eternity in the Missionary Position.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
This one may not be my favorite and it certainly isn't the best performance, it is pretty cool:
Awesome! Thanks.

One of my favorite crescendos.

songfacts:

Maurice Ravel suffered from a degenerative brain disease during the last few years of his life and the illness may have played a part in the composition of Boléro. The left side of the composer's brain ceased to function properly and this may have inherited Ravel's ability to create melodies, leading him to favor more rhythmic works.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
A music critic wrote:

Ravel's Bolero is the reason I've never listened to Ravel's Valse. It's like being stuck for all Eternity in the Missionary Position.

There are worse things...

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
True, but there are better as well, and both Bolero and Missionary make one wish for more.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Funny you should mention "missionary." Bolero is frequently prescribed by sex therapists to set the pace of...well, if you need help finishing the sentence, listen to some Barry White.

I prefer the recording with Vienna and Dudamel conducting, btw. But I'm biased as a Dudamel fan.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maestro:
...I prefer the recording with Vienna and Dudamel conducting, btw. But I'm biased as a Dudamel fan.
This one?

Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Yes

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes
I saw the lodges seating all around the orchestra. That's where I'd like to sit - up and on the side.

I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSFe5MrudRE

While certainly not a masterpiece of the music, this is one of my favorite renditions. Fun and full of life.

Not sure how to embed if someone wants to try it.

Posts: 2120 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Always reminds me of the movie "10"

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Smile

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny you should mention "missionary." Bolero is frequently prescribed by sex therapists to set the pace of...well, if you need help finishing the sentence, l

Cast my vote for "Are you going with me?", Pat Metheny Group Live. Used to put it at the end of an open reel tape, those were my University days. Song would tell me it was time to wrap it up...

Large reel, slow speed. Before you guys start making fun of me. Razz

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
The one that sticks in my mind is Torvill and Dean's!

Me, too, senza. I recall watching it in 1984 (probably on tape delay at the time). A perfect 6.0 score from all of the judges.

Torvill and Dean's ice dance to Bolero, 1984 Olympics.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post