SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Pacific Rim: Uprising
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pacific Rim: Uprising Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
The trailers don't do justice to the movie; however, the movie is nowhere as good as the first one. It feels a lot like a Michael Bay's Transformers sequel.

Mako Mori and the two scientists make their return as a tie in to the first one and John Boyega plays Stacker Pentecost's son. Apparently, he was a capable Jaeger pilot before the events in the first movie occurred but washed out after getting into a disagreement with his co-pilot, played by Scott Eastwood.

I won't bother with any further discussion of the movie. Suffice it to say, wait for it on Netflix.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Liked the first one also. Haven't seen Uprising yet. Great how they decide to add characters that aren't consistent with the earlier film's timeline. Not as bad as the bait and switch Prime from the Transformers, however.

Always though of it as an Evangelion spinoff. Seems to be a better version than the rebuild series.

Thanks for the Netflix warning.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never liked Transformers, and the movie further cemented it but, for whatever reason, whenever Pacific Rim comes on, I stop and watch. Autobots, Go-Bots, Thundercats...all the Japanese-type mechanical cartoons I hated but, as an adult, for whatever reason, I found the first movie entertaining. Maybe because it was an under the radar movie that didn't get meddled so much by corporate...who knows.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's an inner 9 year old movie. Giant Robots fighting giant monsters. reminds me a little bit of Voltron.

I enjoyed it, but It's not high drama. I would have loved a little more sarcasm from the bad guy.

I think the movie will do very well in Asia.

Posts: 4590 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Good action and agree it had a transformers feel. Script was stupid at times but overall not terrible. First one was way better.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I laughed out loud when I saw the trailer for the first time. I finally got myself under control but it took a while. I can’t imagine spending my time watching the actual movie. I gave up watching Transformers after the third installment of jerky split second cuts could only offer Rosie’s butt to make it worthwhile. Uprising looks like it has young POC, Transformers-like FX, and a thumping soundtrack. No thanks. And get off my lawn! Wink

But I’m sure that this will make buckets o cash for the studio.

ETA: I just saw that there will be a late 2018 Transformers prequel called Bumblebee: The Movie. Oh yay....yawn.

Posts: 519 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
Good action and agree it had a transformers feel. Script was stupid at times but overall not terrible. First one was way better.

Best thing about the first Transformers movies was Megan Fox in tight jeans shorts.
I had zero expectation with the first Pacific Rim, and ended up having a ball. The kid and I will see this one and hope for half as much fun.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do they suddenly remember they have a giant sword at the last moment in this one as well?

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For my fam-a-ree!!!!

That sword man...

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The hero Jaeger is an upgraded model with two swords and they get used quite often; although, at a certain point in the movie, the swords are mysteriously upgraded from what they were before.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post