SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Avengers: Infinity War. ** WARNING ** This is the spoiler thread **
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Avengers: Infinity War. ** WARNING ** This is the spoiler thread ** Login/Join 
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Dr. Strange’s cryptic statement he viewed 14 million potential futures, and only saw 1 future with a successful outcome is telling. I imagine it’s a Wargames scenario in that he had to let Thanos win, in a particular fashion, so Thanos himself will undo the event. All this talk about “will”, and the my guess was this scenario picked out by strange is meant to break Thanos’.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Was hoping to see Adam Warlock and Silver Surfer. Knew Capt Marvel was connected to the movie just a matter of how.

When Thanos was talking to Gamora about the Soul Stone and took her to the room where he kept Nebula, I thought for a second we were going to see the Surfer and that he had the Soul Stone within him.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaycat:
So does anyone else think Dr. Strange did SOMETHING with the time stone? I think thats how they will fix everything. Remember Strange said, “its the only way” after he saw the 17+ million possible futures.

The "no tricks" comment from Thanos and the very perceptible hesitation (slow motion) handing over of the stone by Dr. Strange really created a scene, that to me, foreshadows what will happen.

Will the time stone keep Thanos in some kind of hell loop now that he's accomplished what he set out to do, particularly feeding off of the soul stone (because of killing Gamora)?

Overall the movie was one of the better Marvel movies. It was definitely good and plays well to the target audience being PG-13. Theater I went to was about 50-60% capacity for the 1PM showing and quite diverse. Absolute money maker as there is something for everyone in there.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^

Good point. Wife and I went at noon on Friday and were shocked by the wide range of people there. Definitely not a 10-25yr old boy movie.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We went to the 11am showing on Friday. The 9/9:20/9:30/10/10:20/10:30 showings were sold out.

I think I saw four empty seats during our showing. There were two younger kids than my son (11) but everyone else was over 30ish.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
Dr. Strange’s cryptic statement he viewed 14 million potential futures, and only saw 1 future with a successful outcome is telling. I imagine it’s a Wargames scenario in that he had to let Thanos win, in a particular fashion, so Thanos himself will undo the event. All this talk about “will”, and the my guess was this scenario picked out by strange is meant to break Thanos’.

The second to last scene has Thanos approaching a child Gamora, which she asks "Is it done?", He responds with 'Yes'.
She knew Thanos would do anything for the Soul Stone, including killing those he holds close. Would Thanos grieve the loss of Gamora enough to reverse time to bring her back, which in the process will bring back all or, some of the others who were turned to dust? Strange knows what happens and knowingly gave-up the Time Stone for Stark's life...given Thanos' admiring of Stark, sounds like Stark has an important role in Part-2.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
So does anyone else think Dr. Strange did SOMETHING with the time stone? I think thats how they will fix everything. Remember Strange said, “its the only way” after he saw the 17+ million possible futures.

Yeah, THIS is the only thing that makes sense. I consider all 'deaths' AFTER Thanos got the time stone to be 'temporary.'

I loved the movie up to the last 5 minutes, and then it just sucked. They killed off EVERY character that I liked with the exception of Capt America (they even found out I liked Agent Hill and killed her on screen, too Mad ).

I was thinking of how unique this movie is in cinematic history. Has there been any movie that has combined so many different franchises into one crescendo? There were:
3 Iron Mans
2 Hulks
3 Capt Americas
2 Avengers
3 Thors
Spiderman Homecoming
Black Panther
2 Gardians/Galaxy

Most of those were good with a couple exceptions (I'm looking at YOU, Thor 2/3 and Iron Man 2/3), and they brought it all together in one movie. It's an amazing run.

I thought Thanos was really well developed as a character. He wasn't a 1-dimensional card-carrying villain - they really put effort into his development.

I thought that scene were Quill was agonizing over shooting Gamhorrah was touching - they actually had him go through with pulling the trigger.

quote:
Why wouldn't Hulk come out to play?

I don't get this, either. In EVERY OTHER instance, Banner has to struggle with all his might to keep the Hulk IN. I was expecting him to smash his way out of the Hulk Smasher suit. . . That just didn't make sense.

Oh, now I hate Thor 3 even MORE. EVERYBODY DIES. No happy endings for Asgard (the whole "Asgard is her people, and as long as they survive,"....***death*** Oh, they all died. Disregard last).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
You guys realize that Thanos eliminated half of the Universe by merely wishing for it when he possessed the full Infinity Gauntlet. To get everyone back, even the Asgardians, they merely have to get the Gauntlet away from him and wish everyone that Thanos killed back.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
With their combined might, they weren't able to wrest control of the Gauntlet from Thanos. Now that half of them are dead, you think it'll somehow be easier?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
They did it in the comics, didn't they? They'll have a whole movie to come up with a new plan. "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
With their combined might, they weren't able to wrest control of the Gauntlet from Thanos. Now that half of them are dead, you think it'll somehow be easier?

What got me was early in the movie, Wong chops off a piece of the monster by closing a portal on him.

Why didn't they cut the gauntlet off Thanos in the same manner?

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

quote:

I don't get this, either. In EVERY OTHER instance, Banner has to struggle with all his might to keep the Hulk IN. I was expecting him to smash his way out of the Hulk Smasher suit. . . That just didn't make sense.

Best explanation I've read is, Hulk as someone pointed out emotionally, is more or, less a child. After getting his ass whipped by Thanos aboard the Asgardian ship, Hulk had no interest in fighting Thanos.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I don't read the comics but I found an article that reveals how they defeated Thanos in the comic books.

Is anyone interested in hearing how its done in the comics or would that be considered a spoiler for the next film?

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't think he did anything with it, but I do think that one possible future (only one) involved all of this occurring. Then, Thor will get the stone back and they'll reverse time and fix everything. Simple enough.

Posts: 11352 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:

What got me was early in the movie, Wong chops off a piece of the monster by closing a portal on him.

Why didn't they cut the gauntlet off Thanos in the same manner?

Or just use a portal to chop Thanos in half.

I liked how they were 'stuck on' the spaceship hurtling towards Titan. I mean, can't Dr Strange just whip up a portal back to the NYC Sanctum? Or Avengers HQ? Or Wakanda? Or ANYWHERE but Titan? This was literally the FIRST thing trainees in Karma Taj were taught, and the first skill he mastered (to get himself home from Mt Everest).

Or why didn't Dr Strange trap Thanos in one of those 'infinite fall loops' like he did to Loki in Thor 3?

Why didn't Spiderman activate "Insta-Kill Mode" in his suit?

Why did Dr Strange think he HAD TO challenge Thanos while wearing an Infinity Stone in the first place? Why did he never use it (Time Stone) while fighting Thanos? He stated, IIRC, that he needed the Time Stone to fight him, but then even Thanos calls him out about NOT using it?. . .

Why didn't Dr Strange just transport them all into a 'harmless' dimension? That sort of is his 'thing' - magic.

How did Heimdall and Thor use the Bifrost? It was destroyed on Asgard. The machinery shown to activate it is massive. They even stated that it was inoperative after Thor 1 when Thor destroys the bridge to save Jotenheim (Loki asks Thor in Avengers 1 "How much Dark Matter did Odin have to summon to bring him to Earth"). Now, with the entire PLANET it was on reduced to ashes, it still works. Because, reasons. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

quote:

Best explanation I've read is, Hulk as someone pointed out emotionally, is more or, less a child. After getting his ass whipped by Thanos aboard the Asgardian ship, Hulk had no interest in fighting Thanos.

Perhaps Hulk's appearance wasn't included in the one scenario that Strange saw as successful. Did he have influence over Hulk's metamorphosis?

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kept thinking, instead of pulling the glove off, why doesn't Iron Man just cut off Thanos's arm with a laser beam? But all of the conflict was unnecessary because Thanos had the mind gem. He could have controlled the thoughts of everyone who opposed him and used it to get anyone who knew to tell him where the gems were.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Except the mind gem was the very last gem that Thanos got from the Vision.

posted Hide Post
You’re right, I was thinking that it was the stone Loki had.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bashman
posted Hide Post
Anyone else notice that the one scene that was in the trailer, and all over the promotional material (see the pic below) had the Hulk running towards the fight with Team Cap? But he was nowhere to be seen in the movie outside the first 10 minutes? I wonder if this was done as a distraction, or if it was edited after the trailers were produced?

A man who does not read has no appreciable advantage over the man who cannot read.

Posts: 1192 | Location: Charlotte | Registered: July 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post