SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Netflix - The Liberator - WW2 series
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Netflix - The Liberator - WW2 series Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
New WW2 series that just debuted today on Netflix. Based on the biography of the same name by Alex Kershaw, it follows members of the 45th "Thunderbirds" Infantry Division as they fight through Italy, France, and Germany in 1943-45.

I've been looking forward to this since the trailer first dropped.

It's "animated", but not in the traditional sense. Instead, it uses a old style technique called rotoscoping, which has been in use for around 100 years. Basically tracing and coloring over top of live action footage. It's just done digitally now, instead of the old tedious method of artists drawing over individual frames manually.

If you've seen the old animated "Lord of the Rings" film by Ralph Bakshi, or the original "Tron" movie, or the more recent Keanu Reeves film "A Scanner Darkly", those all utilized rotoscoping. ("A Scanner Darkly" in particular is fairly close to the style of full digital rotoscoping used in "The Liberator".)

Other films have used it to a lesser degree, like a lot of the original Disney animated films and Looney Tunes shorts when trying to animate complex human movements such as dancing, though those aren't as explicitly recognizable as rotoscoping as other examples, since they're so heavily animated that you can no longer distinguish the underlying live action footage.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Liberator

Will have to check it out...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?...Q&ab_channel=Netflix

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Rogue...Just finished the first episode...fantastic and well done!!!...
Thank you for heads up Smile...

Ran across this on YouTube...about the real life of the man...LT Felix Sparks Smile

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/bBQ89TwL9Ho

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Adding to my list, as soon as I finish S1 of Warrior

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll check it out. Thanks

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was outstanding! Tks for the heads up!

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I just finished it up...this was one of the best things I have ever watched...again a big thank you to Rogue for bringing it to the Forum’s attention...especially on this sacred day Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I tried, but sorry...just can't get past the hokey comic book effect.

What's the point of that anyway? They had to hire the actors, film the action and then dick around "animating" it.

Just tell me the damn story and quit fucking around with the artsy-fartsy "effects".

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Well, you're missing out. It's one of the better WW2 series I've seen. Not quite Band of Brothers, but still excellent and very impressive.

Apart from the obvious artistic side of the choice to do it with this style of digital rotoscoped animation, I suspect that this allowed the series to be made for a significantly lower budget than otherwise.

Rather than having to stage full blown real-world sets, with real weapons and pyrotechnics, and have photorealistic CGI added over top of that for tanks and buildings that are being blown up or whatnot, they could instead utilize this style of computer-generated animation, using live action footage shot against a green screen as a foundation, with animated backgrounds added, and then utilizing less-involved CGI effects that didn't have to be photorealistic to Ultra HD levels.

I'd much rather watch something like this than the various shoestring budget WW2 B-movies from the US and overseas that try to use fully live action with distractingly cheap and cheesy CGI effects inserted ridiculously.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched episode one. Outstanding! I was able to get beyond the animation rather quickly. I did not get the sense that I was watching a cartoon. It's just a great story. Looking forward to finishing it up.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I don’t quite understand the comic book effect (although JSK’s explanation sounds legit), but it’s a good show

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I'm in the "good story, wish it wasn't rotoscoped" crowd.

I kept expecting to see Morten Harket make a cameo.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should be interesting when they get to Dachau.

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 545 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heydrich:
Should be interesting when they get to Dachau.

I ... have a strong reaction to portrayals of the Holocaust. They do a good job covering this, as well as the...anger resulting. I cannot imagine.

Well done show.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Can’t wait to watch it.
BBH that was a really good video re Felix Sparks. Thanks.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Saw the first two episodes and liked it. The animated presentation is unnecessary and a little distracting from the story I think, but it is a very good story. I'll definitely watch the rest of it.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Watched it in one sitting.

Very powerful story. It is certainly diminished by the cartoon effect that is totally out of place. I almost bailed on it because of the stupid effect... glad I stuck it out.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
Seen two episodes and really enjoying it. Well done and great story.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
Finished episode one. The "animation" at times seems overdone, and at others, not so much.

None the less, I like it. Thanks for the heads up, Rogue.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the book a few years ago when I was flying back from Fairbanks. It was pretty good, except for the post-war part when Sparks went on an anti-gun crusade because his petty criminal druggy son (or grandson) got shot and killed.

I have no interest in an animated history version, but I'll see if I can dig the book out for a forum karma.

Posts: 781 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post