SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Batman (2021)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Batman (2021) Login/Join 
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted
Looks pretty dark, we'll have to see how 'Team Edward' does on this one...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90j19Cl8QCk

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Haven't you guys had enough of this comic book shit yet?

No, I'm serious. Is this what you want film to be? All this hyper-unrealistic fantasy? What do you get out of this stuff?

Superman, Batman, the Fantastic Four, The Frequently Mediocre Three. Tuna Man, Koala Girl, The Roach. What the fuck.

Sorry, Boss1, I'm not aimimg this only at you, but when is this shit gonna stop? As a life-long student of film, I have to say this is one of the worst long-running trends ever. These films are empty, a wasteland.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
^^To a degree...yes. Movie buff here, no apologies.

Once in awhile (especially on a rainy Saturday afternoon) it's nice, for a couple hours, to turn off all the rat race, politics, etc. and just be entertained without having to over-think it or find some deep inner meaning...except for maybe Truth, Justice, and the 'Merican way. There are no sabers made of light or alien robots that turn into cars. But that doesn't mean they can't be fun to watch for a little bit. Many times movies are 'family time' (ask all the Dad's who've sat through Frozen I and II). One of my fonder memories was going to see the original Star Wars with my family 43 years ago.

Hell, they even made a movie about an Accountant pretty entertaining with a healthy dose of fiction.

So yes, there are movies that have more 'substance,' but they're usually not as fun.

At least IMHO. $.02 worth.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked the prior Batman actors/series,even Ben Affleck's version but I just don't see Pattinson playing the main roll. He doesn't appear menacing. I wish Hollyweird would come up with some new stuff instead of rehashing older stuff with new characters.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Affleck's age helped a lot with bringing weight to the character. Pattinson's youth makes Batman look too inexperienced, especially compared with the other characters in the trailer. The shot of him beating Joker's goon was nice, though.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Christian Bale as Batman and so far, he's been the best. Pattinson will always be a sissy malnourished glitter-skinned anemic iron-deficient vampire to me.

Maybe they're casting him to attract all the Twilight moms since DC has largely lost straight men are have been pandering to feminists. I can absolutely see my wife wanting to see this just because of him.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
This pretty much sums it up for me.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
^^ Wow, talk about the biting the hands that feed you. I couldn't watch the whole thing...another wealthy elitist Hollywood 'actor' complaining about the very means that has made him a wealthy, elitist Hollywood actor. There is a limited amount of truth to what he said, but again, wow. IMHO he seems worried he and his rich buddies are going to be replaced with 100% CGI down the road and they won't have to pay his kind huge over-inflated salaries.

And yes, buddy...Hollywood exists to make wealthy movie execs wealthier...file that under 'duh.'

Back on track...

Yes, there will be no doubt a faction of the 'Team Edward' women that will migrate over to Batman due to Pattinson (that might have benefits to dudes who usually get the 'I don't wanna go see some stupid bat movie').

But as to the franchise...you look at where they started...Keaton...no real intimidation what so ever outside of the suit. Forget Kilmer and Clooney.

Bale was good, and Dark Knight was probably one of the best we'll ever see in terms of the series. Bale was fairly suave and had physicality to pull it off. But as far as the 'gritty, dark' Gotham...that wasn't portrayed super well in his series. He was driving around in a Lamborghini.

Affleck was good, to the surprise of many, including myself...in no small part to his building himself up to a fairly menacing size and employing some fairly brutal levels of lethal force.

Pattinson...has yet to be seen. Alot will depend on the overall movie I think and how well he hits the gym. The trailer already looks interesting, where he's in the room with all the cops...have not seen that before. If it portrays 'dark & gritty' well perhaps taking a nod from 'Joker.' it might be good. And from the timeline, it hints to be early in Wayne's development fully into Batman...where Gotham is supposed to really be a crime rotten cesspool.

As to 'meaning'...the Batman does have some layers...crime, flaws in the judicial system, corruption, etc., etc. etc...

But like I say, I tend not to get to spun up on that stuff like that (subplot #12) when we go to the movies (there's enough of it going on in real life...particularly at this point in history).

Time will tell...I'll be interested to see how this plays out. If he can get close to this, I'd call it a worth a watch:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7GWGLkPepU

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
It's never simple/easy.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Per the headlines, Robert Pattinson tested positive for Covid 3-4days ago, and the current production status is iffy.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
... Koala Girl, ...

Okay, you piqued my interest. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Tuna Man, Koala Girl, The Roach

No, no, no... For the last time, it's:

Aquaman:

Squirrel Girl:

and The Tick:

Wink

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Christopher Nolan, a director who is still making film, literally using film, is one of the best directors we have today. He already made a trilogy and forever put a mark on this. I mean those films, stand alone, are films to me. The rest of the DC films, no, popcorn. All the Marvel films the same sans Dr. Strange, which was a film, and sci-fi. And the only real actor in any of those movies. Benedict go can literally act in whatever it is.

But I agree with Para, and Martin Scorsese who last year said the same thing and got all the unitard nerds all up in a tizzy. It’s just enough already. For fuck sakes are they going to make every single comic book clown in tights as a film? I mean largely it’s the public why these studios just keep cranking the shit out over and over and over again. They did this with vampire movies (Pats was in a big series of those, Twilight), zombie movies, fucking werewolves, elves, wizards “My precious”, dragons, Harry Fester magic films. I mean geez, where it the original storytelling and films? They are getting severely limited due to a lack of IQ in America. “I just want to turn my brain off” films. Well when I watch a film, I want to watch a good story, good direction, acting, and cinematography. Not the same bullshit told 30 different ways to Sunday.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I’ll skip it. I got burnt out on all that superhero trash coming out of modern Hollywood. Maybe I’ll see it in 5-10 years. No guarantees.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vgex,

Posts: 1997 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Looks like emo Batman. Meh.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I see two issues raised.
1) Comic Book content
2) Repeat remake sequel and lack of imagination.

Not going to criticize no. 1 too much as everyone has their own things they like and don't like.
Comic content does not bother me and some I like better than others.

No. 2 is a very good point and one has to wonder where the imagination is.
Hell, I was just noticing the other day when "A Star is Born" was on TCM.
THIS has been remade FOUR times, and all with some success to some degree.
First in 1937 with Janet Gaynor, then in 1954 with Judy Garland, then in 1976 with Streisand recently with Gaga-lady in 2018.
Enough already.

Posts: 22859 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
So is this a sequel, prequel, reboot, re-do, re-imagined, alternate timeline, alternate universe, carry-over, carry-on, cross-over or what.

I'm confused.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
In general, I am not a fan of superhero movies, even though I collected comics when I was a kid. The only films of this genre I have watched and enjoyed are the Chris Nolan Batman films, which are, IMO, entirely different from the two other superhero films I have watched in the theater with my son; the first Robert Downey Jr one and the first Spiderman. A world of difference. I haven't had the remotest interest in watching any other superhero movie, but by that time, my son went to the movie theater with his friends to see these movies anyways. I don't know if it is a byproduct, but my interest in the whole Hollywood film system dropped to an all time low.

Which brings me to the second, perhaps more infuriating aspect of the film business- the re-boots, the remakes, etc. It steals the soul of film making, and vomits up lazy creativity. It's not just comic book films, but TV remakes, past movie remakes, this whole Disney Star Wars thing is the epitome of this kind of movie making.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OcCurt:
So is this a sequel, prequel, reboot, re-do, re-imagined, alternate timeline, alternate universe, carry-over, carry-on, cross-over or what.

I'm confused.

Not clear yet.

While constant re-boots can be looked at as being 'over-done,' I often like to see how different spins get put on things...appearance, background, new gear/car, etc... as long as it isn't a complete suck-fest. I also like it when the actor/actress fulfills the role physically. Batman in particular, not having super powers, needs to be extraordinarily fit/strong. Having an actor that fills the costume appropriately helps (Henry Cavill did well as Superman IMHO).

Part of the problem is in the realm of superheros, it's a bit of challenge to come up with original material. Unless they create a new superhero people will actually like (Deadpool...not really a Superhero), they already have the big/popular ones covered. Superman, Aquaman, Batman, X-Men, Captain America, Iron Man, etc. You can perhaps change whatever story they're currently dealing with, but it's still going to be 'superhero vs. villain(s)' using their super powers. Everyone is familiar with their backstories (thanks to the comics).

Still, while Pattinson seems to be an unusual choice, I'll still be waiting to see where it goes. The trailer at least has my interest.

I get it, some people aren't into these types of films. There's many films that don't interest me. And I'd rather watch paint dry than 99.9% of televised sports. To each their own.

At least you can laugh about it...for all the non-fans Big Grin:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJUmSwbZANw

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
It's never simple/easy.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I'm wore out on x-men and the Avengers, but I'm down for some more Batman. I'll check this one out.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Tuna Girl was short lived. Turns out a hot chick with a yeast infection has very limited appeal, and after she fell into that vat of Lotrimin while battling with Syphilis Boy, she was toast.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post