SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Ian Tyson
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ian Tyson Login/Join 
posted
Anyone else here a fan? I have been listening to his music for almost 50 years. I was heartbroken some years back when he damaged that great voice. I think he put out a few albums, where he sounded like a frog croaking and I just couldn't bring myself to listen. Then I read that he had found a throat surgeon, who was able to fix the problem. I finally ordered what I think is his most recent album put out 2 years ago. After the first track, I began to smile. The man is in his mid-eighties and like Tony Bennett, he's still got the gift. Hang in there Ian. Never sell that saddle.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been a fan since the early/mid 60s. He did pretty well for a rodeo cowboy who picked up a guitar. He’s written and sung some great songs. I understand that he lives on his ranch in Alberta and is still pretty active.

One of the few songwriters who can vividly describe the western experience from a personal viewpoint. So unlike the Nashville phonies. You might also like Tom Russell who was influenced by him.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I admit I’ve never spent much time listening to his music, but he has written some of my all-time favorite Western songs.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I have only listened to one of his songs "Four Strong Winds" and he was very good. I heard Neil Young do the song and was curious who this Ian Tyson was. After listening to Neil Young attempt to sing it, my thought was Neil should give up as he IMO does the song a great injustice.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4014 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Been a fan since the early/mid 60s. He did pretty well for a rodeo cowboy who picked up a guitar. He’s written and sung some great songs. I understand that he lives on his ranch in Alberta and is still pretty active.

One of the few songwriters who can vividly describe the western experience from a personal viewpoint. So unlike the Nashville phonies. You might also like Tom Russell who was influenced by him.

Yes, I have seen both Tyson and Russell in person. For anyone not familiar with Tyson's work, I would recommend two albums, "Cowboyography" and "All The Good 'Uns" both available on Amazon or Tyson's website .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Judy Collins had a top hit with “”Someday Soon”. There’s a utube video of a concert with Tyson, Sylvia Fricker and Collins singing the song as a trio.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ramblin Jack Elliot is a songwriter from that era that has some good songs too.

posted Hide Post
NK402 funny you should bring up Tyson. I live in a songwriter/musician rich area southwest of Austin. Lots of small music venues. I recently went to hear a local group. Met a couple who were from Alberta, Canada, where they have a ranch. They said they “winter” here in central Texas to get away from the snow and because of the rich Music environment.They told me their ranch is close to Tyson’s and they know him as a rancher. They are big fans as well. They say he is still active as a rancher although elderly. Ineresting folks. It’s always good to meet Tyson fans.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Judy Collins had a top hit with “”Someday Soon”. There’s a utube video of a concert with Tyson, Sylvia Fricker and Collins singing the song as a trio.

Suzy Bogguss also had a hit with that song. When you see Tyson in concert, he will usually thank one or the other of them for recording it. He said once he built a new barn with the money from the Judy Collins version. The reference to Ramblin Jack reminds me of another of my favorites, the late Guy Clark and his song, "Ramblin Jack and Mahan", about Elliot and Larry Mahan, the rodeo champion.

posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed his works as part of the Ian & Sylvia duo in the 60's. Sylvia was hot.

Posts: 100 | Location: Myrtle Beach SC | Registered: August 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
they had a show on tv years ago - used to watch it with my grandparents back in the late 60's and early 70's I thin - it was either called The Ian Tyson Show, or Ian and Sylvia. If I recall the band was called 'Great Speckled Bird'

he had some great artists on the show - including a very young Tanya Tucker

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m familiar with the song. Guy Clark is another one of my favorites. Great songwriter.