SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Boys - Amazon
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Boys - Amazon Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I thought it strange that they had him using an English accent. Just let him use his natural Kiwi accent.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I started it last night, two in, and I’m liking it so far.

With Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen producing it from a Garth Innis comic, I was hoping it would give me my Preacher fix until the last season of that comes out but it’s a little more by the numbers than Preacher but still good.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I am 4-episodes in and enjoying it. Trying to avoid spoilers, but just checking in.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I dug it. Finished last night. Liked the ending well enough.

This is a MINOR MAYBE NOT EVEN A SPOILER BUT BE WARNED NON THE LESS.

There were a few scenes with a very obvious fly/insect flying around/buzzing noise. How much do you want to bet we find out that is a tiny supe’. Maybe even the guy who went for the “ahem” “DIVE” in the bar in the first episode.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I dug it. Finished last night. Liked the ending well enough.

This is a MINOR MAYBE NOT EVEN A SPOILER BUT BE WARNED NON THE LESS.

There were a few scenes with a very obvious fly/insect flying around/buzzing noise. How much do you want to bet we find out that is a tiny supe’. Maybe even the guy who went for the “ahem” “DIVE” in the bar in the first episode.

Yes I was thinking the same thing, the fly was very obvious. I thought we would find out who it was, it was in several scenes.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
I am 4-episodes in and enjoying it. Trying to avoid spoilers, but just checking in.

I finished it over the weekend.

Episode four is so many kinds of messed up, it’s not even funny. Well, one part is funny if you have a dark sense of humor like me.

I liked it and can’t wait to see where they go with season two.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Darkly, cynically entertaining. Well produced and acted too. My wife and I will watch the 8th and final episode tonight. Edited to note that I think the title of the show is pretty weak and non-descriptive.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Edited to note that I think the title of the show is pretty weak and non-descriptive.

It's based on a comic book of the same title, in which the CIA-sponsored superhero-monitoring unit run by Butcher is called "The Boys". As in "The Boys and I will handle it". Or "we'll see what The Boys can come up with".

They use that reference in passing a couple times in the show, but it's much less obvious than it is in the comics. Their connections to the CIA are also a lot more tenuous in the show than they are in the comics.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's based on a comic book, in which the CIA-sponsored superhero-monitoring unit run by Butcher was referred to as "The Boys". As in "The Boys and I will handle it". Or "we'll see what The Boys can come up with".

They use that reference in passing a couple times in the show, but it's much less obvious than it is in the comics. Their connections to the CIA are also a lot more tenuous in the show than they are in the comics.

Thanks, that helps and makes sense. I certainly respect ties to the comic book series...but the connections in the Amazon series are insufficient.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finished it last night. Very well done, if dark, deeply cynical movies with occasional major violence is not your thing, take a pass.

Very well acted for the most part. And they are wide open for season 2 and can go in so many directions.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I’m up to Episode 3 and very impressed with the series. Good writing, acting, production values, and while it’s certainly violent, I like the theme! Very different from the usual “super hero” story!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. If you watched The Incredibles (Pixar) you can see where they got this idea.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Edited to note that I think the title of the show is pretty weak and non-descriptive.

It's based on a comic book of the same title, in which the CIA-sponsored superhero-monitoring unit run by Butcher is called "The Boys". As in "The Boys and I will handle it". Or "we'll see what The Boys can come up with".

It really bugs me when movie makers/TV series makers don't take the time to do any sort of explanation of the backstory from the book or comic, it's like they just assume everyone knows which is not right.

I just saw Ready Player One and a better explanation of the OASIS would have helped, just a minute or two even. Not all of us read the damn book.

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I thought RP1 did a great job of fleshing out the VR world and how it got developed and what it was etc.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I did not see that coming at the end.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I wasn't sure what to think as I'm not a big fan of the superhero franchise movies, but I enjoyed this.

No spoilers, but that was a world class curve they threw at the end. Now, I can't wait for the next season.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6371 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
I wasn't sure what to think as I'm not a big fan of the superhero franchise movies, but I enjoyed this.

No spoilers, but that was a world class curve they threw at the end. Now, I can't wait for the next season.

I just watched the season finale last night and agree 100% about the "curve." What a great series!!! Finally a "superhero" movie for adults!!! The acting, writing, direction, production values were all great, as was the fact that although there were special effects, they certainly were few enough in numbers as to not drown out the character developments and plot. I'm looking forward to Season 2 eagerly!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought it strange that they had him using an English accent. Just let him use his natural Kiwi accent

I loved his accent in Thor: Ragornok

Thanks for all the positive posts. I'm going to check this out.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Thanks to OP and all the positive reviews I started watching. First two episodes done - hooked - and trying not to binge the rest.

ETA: Only the finale left and didn't binge. Big Grin

ETA: Watched the finale. Wow! Eek

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blackmore,

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MoreCowbell
posted Hide Post
I just finished watching it.I really enjoyed it looking forward to season two.

Posts: 117 | Registered: January 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post