SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Clarkson, Hammond and May call it quits for studio car shows
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clarkson, Hammond and May call it quits for studio car shows Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
Link

After this series of The Grand Tour, they will just do travel specials.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
There's definitely more passion involved in their travel specials. I especially enjoy the ones that are solo/duo specials, where they really seem to lighten up and enjoy themselves.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'm all about it!

Looking forward to the next couple of seasons.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
good on them, change it up, innovate.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Keeps the show going, which I'm all for. I will miss some of the studio bits, though.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Oh hey, by the way. Season 3 kicks off today.

Yee haw!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Looks like they listened to the audience and dumped the celebrity guest segment, at least for the first episode. I'm all for more of that!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Hoping to watch Ep 1 this weekend.

'Par for the course' was the only review I've seen about it so far.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
It was funny. May had some zingers for sure.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, stayed up when I got home from work to watch it this morning. Will say, they are showing their age in this season.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I was cracking up at Hammond re-fitting his car for the drag race at the end. Just too much. Haha

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
While it's impressive that a car with less horsepower was able to win the drag race, it's ridiculous how much had to be modified in order to do so. A straight-off-the-showroom Exorcist only lost by a car length to that modified Demon.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I bet they couldn't get coverage for Hammond, not after his $1M RIMAC wreck. And all the other wrecks.

And in E3S1, there was a reason he wasn't street racing a with Clarkson and Mays, and I bet it wasn't Dodge saying nyet.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31377 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Some good laughs & May on the giving end of quite a few.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
I bet they couldn't get coverage for Hammond, not after his $1M RIMAC wreck. And all the other wrecks.

And in E3S1, there was a reason he wasn't street racing a with Clarkson and Mays, and I bet it wasn't Dodge saying nyet.

Could be that with all of the extra stuff installed the car is not street legal. And without it installed, it can't beat the Exorcist. So they didn't want it racing if it couldn't win.

The GT boys making fun and drawing out the process to get it ready would be a good way to mock Dodge for that.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Could be that with all of the extra stuff installed the car is not street legal. And without it installed, it can't beat the Exorcist. So they didn't want it racing if it couldn't win.

The GT boys making fun and drawing out the process to get it ready would be a good way to mock Dodge for that.

Not their first run-in with a Challenger either (Top Gear Bonneville episode) where Hammond had to buy the car, since Chrysler wouldn't loan them one.

Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the new season opener. They are getting old, but then I am too, and the chemistry with the 3 of them is still so fun to watch.

And I would get that Mustang RTR for sure. The Demon and the Exorcist are one trick ponies - it is a really good trick mind you, but the Mustang would be more fun for me.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgrdvm:
I enjoyed the new season opener. They are getting old, but then I am too, and the chemistry with the 3 of them is still so fun to watch.

And I would get that Mustang RTR for sure. The Demon and the Exorcist are one trick ponies - it is a really good trick mind you, but the Mustang would be more fun for me.

Of the 3, the RTR would be my choice as well.
Or save some $$ & just get a GT350.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
There's definitely more passion involved in their travel specials. I especially enjoy the ones that are solo/duo specials, where they really seem to lighten up and enjoy themselves.

Hopefully that's the direction. The old formula is...old, as there's many more shows now that deal with the technical areas or, the sit-down talk show format. While the success of this triumvirate over the last 10-years is their wit and banter in the travel specials, I'd like to see more of the hair-brained contraptions/ideas however I wonder if such ideas have been used up.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
While it's impressive that a car with less horsepower was able to win the drag race, it's ridiculous how much had to be modified in order to do so. A straight-off-the-showroom Exorcist only lost by a car length to that modified Demon.

The modification comedy bit was funny but it was jut that a comedy bit,

Think about the deal that is the $1 Drag Pack (a deal by the way for jack, wheels, ecu with dash control and high flow intake) would have it installed at the dealer for daily driving sans the front wheels.

The dash unit has an on off switch for race fuel or pump gas, once it is in its never taken out, nor is the ecu or air intake kit. Any real driver/owner will have this dealer installed to pick up 40 HP or they are speculator or a collector and it will stay boxed up.

The Demon won because James can't get 1000 hp to the ground using the tires he had on the Camaro ZL-1 Hennessey Exorcist.

BTW the Camaro isn't a drive off the floor, you first have to buy the ZL-1 then have it shipped off to Hennessey for who knows how long to get the work done for 1000 advertised HP.

They were joking about the price of the demon being too low, when you consider people were flipping them at Barrett Jackson for $120K plus they aren't wrong.

James was beating the 700 hp mustang but not by much, his problem was the same, couldn't hook it up, unless you consider his attempts at a donut which he found traction LOL

Traction won that race..

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post