Dunkirk Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Maybe it was good technically.

The only plus I can think of is that it didn't try to somehow shove a romantic store line down my throat.

And no dying guys telling their buddies through blood soaked tears, "Tell my wife...I love her...".

So...it's got that going for it.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Did you miss the scene toward the very end when Tom Hardy was flying parallel with the beach? They showed lines and lines of tens of thousands of troops that stretched out into the distance. Much like that original photo you showed.

I was asleep by then. Lame movie.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIG228,

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I thought it was one of the best films I saw all year, especially from a technical standpoint. Beautifully shot, with amazing sound. I expect it will end up with a handful of technical Oscars, like Best Cinematography or Best Sound Editing.

I wish I had the opportunity to watch it on IMAX.

quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
And there should have been more planes. Pretty sure there were more than 3 Spitfires there.

Yep. The RAF flew around 3500 sorties to Dunkirk during the 10 day long battle.

I'm not sure the exact number of total fighters present, but it appears that the RAF lost over 100 fighters at Dunkirk during this period, of which over 60 were Spitfires.

Ditto Rogue, thought it was outstanding, and par for the course for Nolan. Excellent film. One of the year’s best.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Quick, we gotta plug these bullet holes, everyone stick a finger in a hole so this thing will float.....GMAFB!

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The incredible gliding Spitfire that went on forever!

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 545 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Omg - wife and I watched this a few nights ago. She's pissed I spent real money on it.

One of the most convoluted movies I've ever watched. Director should've stopped trying to be so artistic with the timeline and just told the damn story. Though on their individual merit each scene held its own, someone in the editing room failed to comprehend the story's timeline is a main factor when telling a story.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAEIndustries:
Ive noticed in most movies I see that the sound , both voices and background music etc is not adjusted well at all and many times indiscernible

all the money they waste on visuals and we cant hear the most important parts of the movie

You need to find a new theater, or improve your home theater. Or see an ear doctor.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heydrich:
The incredible gliding Spitfire that went on forever!

And then just before touching down, he lowers the landing gear....in sand. How well do you think that would work?
I watched it on DVD and had the closed captioning on. Had to laugh, during one of the air battles, the caption read, "jet engine racing". In 1940? Speaking of air battles, how could you tell, when the bad guys were hit? White smoke.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am glad I waited until it reached HBO. Absolutely no historical background provided. Dialogue difficult to understand due to loud music and special effects. It should have been billed as an artist's rendering of what Dunkirk looked like. Boring.

The contribution of the French troops and Hitler's decision to hold off until the infantry arrived were not even given a footnote. Some character development would have been welcomed.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I loved it.
So it wasn't a docudrama.
So it wasn't a marvel movie.

It's a God damn British movie. Telling a British story from multiple british perspectives.

Why do we have such a limited formula for cinema? Nolan did a amazing job telling a story both big and small. I didn't think it was artsy as much as I thought it was telling a story differently and showing their connections.

But don't worry there will be a sadistic horror movie or marvel movie out soon to entertain the mob.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
I loved it.

It's a God damn British movie. Telling a British story from multiple british perspectives.

Why do we have such a limited formula for cinema? Nolan did a amazing job telling a story both big and small. I didn't think it was artsy as much as I thought it was telling a story differently and showing their connections.

But don't worry there will be a sadistic horror movie or marvel movie out soon to entertain the mob.

It’s like that around here. It’s got to be a got damn documentary to appease, and even then they’ll bitch. People just love to bitch and moan, about everything...

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Yeah

Cause that’s how it is “around here”

Everyone in this thread, whether we liked it or not, did the best to articulate their reasons and respected what others said

Until you two

This isn’t a binary choice

Those of you that liked it arent miraculously somehow enlightened because you did

And those of us that didn’t aren’t knuckle dragging members of the “mob” only entertained by the lowest common denominator

Maybe think twice before you paint your fellow forum members with such a broad, and unflattering, brush

quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
I loved it.

It’s like that around here. It’s got to be a got damn documentary to appease, and even then they’ll bitch. People just love to bitch and moan, about everything...

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Director should've stopped trying to be so artistic with the timeline and just told the damn story.

someone should've told Monet to stop what he was doing and draw hard-lined, architectural renderings of the houses of parliament. Razz

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
someone should've told Monet to stop what he was doing and draw hard-lined, architectural renderings of the houses of parliament.

I guess I shall expect to see the artistic rendering of Dunkirk alongside the other impressionistic works of Art at the The Orangerie Museum in Paris. It would fit nicely with the water lillies.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Why do people get to pile on without question? I did mock the latest horror and superhero movies. I used no names and called no one out with quotes.

What exactly did I do wrong? I never claimed I am enlightened over others because I like it and I am sick of the same large budget, fancy FX movie formula.
Back to my question, am I not allowed a different opinion?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kevbo:
Yeah

Everyone in this thread, whether we liked it or not, did the best to articulate their reasons and respected what others said

Until you two

Those of you that liked it arent miraculously somehow enlightened because you did

And those of us that didn’t aren’t knuckle dragging members of the “mob” only entertained by the lowest common denominator

Maybe think twice before you paint your fellow forum members with such a broad, and unflattering, brush

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Go back and read what you said, combined with the “around here” comment and tell me it doesn’t sound exactly like what I described

If you liked it, that’s great. I hated the Last Jedi, but I’m glad people like it, because maybe thst means I get another Rogue One in the future. I want more movies in the genre of Dunkirk, even if I stand by my statements. You’ll notice it wasn’t the style of storytelling I didn’t like, it was the portrayal of the soldiers.

It sure seemed, to me, like you were saying thst those of us that didn’t like the movie were the mindless mob....combine thst with someone quoting you and saying “it’s like that around here” and how exactly are we supposed to take it?

You asked why “we” had such a limited formula. I don’t. I can have an expanded formula and still not like this movie...and then you say to the “we” not to worry that something mindless will be along to appease them. Are “we” supposed to take it as a compliment? Prefontaine sure read what you said the same way I did...he just happened to think it was like that “around here”.

If that wasn’t your intent, and you were speaking in more nebulous terms, I get it. In however many years and however many posts I have here I’ve been in probably 2 pissing contests, and it was a long time ago. What you and prefontsine said rubbed me the wrong way. And if you look at it, I think it’s easy to see why, even it it wasn’t what you intended

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Yeah

Until you two

And let’s not get snowflake now shall we? This is a repetitive thing in this section. If it’s not a documentary people point fingers and complain. It is what it is but it is the truth. I’ve seen this over many years, especially any war film. People start picking peanuts out of shit. Nobody said they were enlightened and I didn’t call anyone a mob. “We” just pointed out that “some” takes things entirely too far. It’s a movie, not a historical series on the history channel. I’ve seen the same thing dozens and dozens of times. But it certainly isn’t worth doing the back and forth round and round with it. It won’t do any good.

Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
We just saw it on HBO and thought it was a pretty decent movie. We all thought it was just fine for a weeknight movie that we didn't pay for (outside the HBO subscription). IMDB has it at 8.0/10 with 387,392 votes, so someone apparently likes it. I would have given it about a 6.5 myself.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Prefontaine, when you insult this forum you're insulting me. Would you care to clarify your remarks, now that you've impugned every single registrant in this forum for the behavior of a few members? Because, really, any member who values their membership here- and you seem to- would be wise to refrain from slinging shit on the house that I've built.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Go back and read what you said, combined with the “around here” comment and tell me it doesn’t sound exactly like what I described

If you liked it, that’s great. I hated the Last Jedi, but I’m glad people like it, because maybe thst means I get another Rogue One in the future. I want more movies in the genre of Dunkirk, even if I stand by my statements. You’ll notice it wasn’t the style of storytelling I didn’t like, it was the portrayal of the soldiers.

It sure seemed, to me, like you were saying thst those of us that didn’t like the movie were the mindless mob....combine thst with someone quoting you and saying “it’s like that around here” and how exactly are we supposed to take it?

You asked why “we” had such a limited formula. I don’t. I can have an expanded formula and still not like this movie...and then you say to the “we” not to worry that something mindless will be along to appease them. Are “we” supposed to take it as a compliment? Prefontaine sure read what you said the same way I did...he just happened to think it was like that “around here”.

If that wasn’t your intent, and you were speaking in more nebulous terms, I get it. In however many years and however many posts I have here I’ve been in probably 2 pissing contests, and it was a long time ago. What you and prefontsine said rubbed me the wrong way. And if you look at it, I think it’s easy to see why, even it it wasn’t what you intended

I meant it nebulously. My own daughters begged me not to see "Five finger fistpump with Thanos", but I did. And my despair is complete. I laughed, I cried when spidey died, I really liked that kid. for me this downfall started with Winter Soldier when no one thought to call tony Stark? And so I have grown increasingly skeptical and, to my fault, aggravated.

So I rage at the universe. I should have been more careful not to directly push buttons here, among my friends. yes, I consider you guys my friends.

Kevbo, I thank you for taking the time to state your offense and hold me accountable to my words. It is appreciated.